COMPLETE[PLAY] Orra: A Tragedy by Joanna Baillie - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:Updated Theobald Acts 1 and 4 uploaded.
Thanks, Todd
:thumbs: YES !!! Both Sections PL ok now.

You were being high dramatic in this monologue. Especially near the end when he is so outraged, I love big feelings !!!!
(I was almost expecting you to "beat your head distractedly" but I guess that would not be too healthy :mrgreen: )

So I guess by now all your neighbours are up and running. :lol:

Thanks for this great performance

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

I love your performance, Todd. Very nicely done. :-)

And thanks Sonia!
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Ava ! Wow, a huge feat you have performed here. 8-) I was listening to all this with a slight fever, so I hope I have not missed anything. But the mood I was in somehow enhanced my listening experience to Orra's descent into madness, so maybe it was a good thing I listened to it now.

An overall comment I will make in the MW is that the volume is definitely not loud enough (only about 83-86 dB mostly) But Chuck can take care of that in the editing process. We need Orra to sound loud ! Wouldn't do that her voice got lost in the others' comments.

Act 1: PL ok
I mentioned it before and I have to say it again, that I love your laughs in the plays. Wish I could do them like that

Act 2:
special highlight for me in this scene is the excitement in your voice when you want to hear the horrid ghost story :thumbs:

> at 9:44: (p. 36 bottom) "And let my dull hours by the dead man's watch be told" - you say "be the dead man's watch", which makes the sentence sound strange

Act 3:
my compliments: the inner confllict between the fear of the supernatural and the reluctance at waking Rudigere is excellently played out in this scene

> at 2:46: (p. 50 middle): "To make my thraldom sure?" - I think I hear "theldram" here, but the correct word is "thral-dom" (like "en-thrall" and "king-dom")

Act 4:
> at 6:44: (p. 72 middle): "He will be here to free me from this thraldom" - same problem here with "theldram" (unless my ears are mistaking me, the volume is a bit low) :?

Act 5: PL ok
kudos ! you can play a very convincing mad-woman :thumbs: I love your dramatic acting in this scene. Especially the final speech is an excellent ending to it all. Quite recently I watched the series Penny Dreadful and this reminds me of some scenes in the lunatic asylum with Eva Green. :9:

> at about 0:03: (p. 90 top): "(A shriek heard from the cave) - this is optional, but maybe you want to give us a shriek ? I think it would be cool to have first the stage directions read out, and then the shriek following (at the least the audience will be warned) :mrgreen:

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Really lovely recording, Availle. Thank you so much! :thumbs:

By the way, not that anyone's noticed... but I switched roles. I'll be reading the narrator now, since (a) it's the largest remaining role and (b) we seemed to have slowed down tremendously since the first initial burst... so we're probably in it for the long haul.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
OwenCook

Post by OwenCook »

I would like to claim "1st Outlaw/Outlaw, Act III", if I may. As brave and saucy a henchman as ever I did see.

~~Owen
OwenCook

Post by OwenCook »

OwenCook wrote:I would like to claim "1st Outlaw/Outlaw, Act III", if I may. As brave and saucy a henchman as ever I did see.

~~Owen
I hope it's not too presumptuous for me to assume the part was mine... Here is 1st Outlaw:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_1stoutlaw_3.mp3 [1.09 KB]

Studies in courage, I'm telling ye!

All the best,
~~Owen
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

OwenCook wrote:I hope it's not too presumptuous for me to assume the part was mine... Here is 1st Outlaw:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_1stoutlaw_3.mp3 [1.09 KB]
Studies in courage, I'm telling ye!
All the best,
~~Owen
thanks for joining Owen !!! Do you have any previous history in outlawing ? :shock: You play this character very life-like, I would not want to meet you in a dark forest. :help: The scene at the end where he jumps on Theobald is quite intense, especially the "have at you" and "let's dispatch him". I only wonder why this outlaw has not become the captain of the band with this attitude LOL

1st Outlaw PL ok without any doubt :thumbs:

Sonia
OwenCook

Post by OwenCook »

Kitty wrote:thanks for joining Owen !!! Do you have any previous history in outlawing ? :shock: You play this character very life-like, I would not want to meet you in a dark forest. :help: The scene at the end where he jumps on Theobald is quite intense, especially the "have at you" and "let's dispatch him". I only wonder why this outlaw has not become the captain of the band with this attitude LOL

Sonia
Oh, thank you so much! :D You're too kind. I'm pretty sure the way they do it in this band of outlaws is that whoever has the best singing voice gets to be captain...
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

OwenCook wrote:
Kitty wrote:thanks for joining Owen !!! Do you have any previous history in outlawing ? :shock: You play this character very life-like, I would not want to meet you in a dark forest. :help: The scene at the end where he jumps on Theobald is quite intense, especially the "have at you" and "let's dispatch him". I only wonder why this outlaw has not become the captain of the band with this attitude LOL

Sonia
Oh, thank you so much! :D You're too kind. I'm pretty sure the way they do it in this band of outlaws is that whoever has the best singing voice gets to be captain...
Thanks Owen! I appreciate the help and quick turnaround time! (And sorry for the lateness of this response -- I've got an insane teaching load this semester and am currently buried in student essays!)
PROJECTS
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Here are the corrected files for Orra:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_2_orra.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_3_orra.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_4_orra.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_5_orra.mp3

I did include a shriek at the very beginning of act 5, but I'm afraid I'm better at laughing than at shrieking. Besides, it's not a good idea to start shrieking in the middle of the night - my poor neighbors...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote:Here are the corrected files for Orra:
thanks Ava, all of Orra is PL ok now. Super nice edits, all of them :thumbs:
I did include a shriek at the very beginning of act 5, but I'm afraid I'm better at laughing than at shrieking. Besides, it's not a good idea to start shrieking in the middle of the night - my poor neighbors...
LOL indeed :lol: not that somebody would call the police ;) Well, we'll see what Chuck thinks, at least we have something to include, if he wishes to.

thanks !

Sonia
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

I would like to volunteer for the 2nd Outlaw (sections 11 and 12) as well as Soldier (section 18).

David O
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dlolso21 wrote:I would like to volunteer for the 2nd Outlaw (sections 11 and 12) as well as Soldier (section 18).
David O
hey David ! As Chuck seems to be off the radar for the moment, I'll put you in the MW. Thanks for claiming :9: It's interesting you would play the outlaw and the soldier...what will you do ? Arrest yourself ? :mrgreen:

Sonia
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Kitty wrote: hey David ! As Chuck seems to be off the radar for the moment, I'll put you in the MW. Thanks for claiming :9: It's interesting you would play the outlaw and the soldier...what will you do ? Arrest yourself ? :mrgreen:
Sonia
Sonia,

I just have to be careful not to confuse my day job with my night job. Here are the files.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_2ndoutlaw_3.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_2ndoutlaw_4.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_soldier_5.mp3

David O