COMPLETE[PLAY] Orra: A Tragedy by Joanna Baillie - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: January 16th, 2018, 8:24 pm The last bit of narration... and it's kinda long.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_narration_5.mp3
I apologize for the weird scraping sounds that pop up during my silences. My neighbor decided to shovel snow while I was recording.
you have a lot of snow ? We have only rain here :(

Great narration yet again, Chuck :thumbs: I love the way you read the stage directions.

I found a few errors still (one highly entertaining :lol: you'll see...)

> at 2:29: (p. 82) “With careless derision” – you say “ceaseless”

> at 6:57 (p. 90) – “Running into the cave...” – you say “returning”

> at 11:22 (p. 98) – “Hughobert overhearing them” – you say “overpowering” – thank you, that really cheered me up no end, to picture the count overpowering his wife and attendant :mrgreen:

> at 12:15: maybe you could repeat “by Joanna Baillie” in the end disclaimer

oh and forgot to mention, your volume is barely 83 dB. But you will adjust that anyway in the editing phase.

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: January 17th, 2018, 7:59 am
ChuckW wrote: January 16th, 2018, 8:24 pm The last bit of narration... and it's kinda long.
I apologize for the weird scraping sounds that pop up during my silences. My neighbor decided to shovel snow while I was recording.
you have a lot of snow ? We have only rain here :(

Great narration yet again, Chuck :thumbs: I love the way you read the stage directions.

I found a few errors still (one highly entertaining :lol: you'll see...)

> at 2:29: (p. 82) “With careless derision” – you say “ceaseless”

> at 6:57 (p. 90) – “Running into the cave...” – you say “returning”

> at 11:22 (p. 98) – “Hughobert overhearing them” – you say “overpowering” – thank you, that really cheered me up no end, to picture the count overpowering his wife and attendant :mrgreen:

> at 12:15: maybe you could repeat “by Joanna Baillie” in the end disclaimer

oh and forgot to mention, your volume is barely 83 dB. But you will adjust that anyway in the editing phase.

Sonia
Thanks for the help, Sonia! This should do it. :-)

PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote:Thanks for the help, Sonia! This should do it. :-)
thanks, Chuck, it does indeed :) PL ok now. The narration part is done. Good job !

Sonia
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Hello I can do the role of the attendant
One book to rule them all and in the Public Domain bind them
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

phileasfogg wrote:Hello I can do the role of the attendant
:9: thank you Victor for taking part here. I'll sign you up. Have fun

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

phileasfogg wrote: January 18th, 2018, 5:30 am Hello I can do the role of the attendant
Thank you so much. :-)
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ah finally I can hear one assembled act of the play :9: we all sound great together but special kudos go to Ava here, who has the central role in this act, giving us a believable performance of a woman slowly going mad :thumbs:

Act 4 PL ok. No doubt about that.

Good job, Chuck :) You only forgot to put the names of all the readers for this act into the reader slot in the MW. Or are you doing that all right at the end ? :hmm:

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: January 24th, 2018, 1:44 pm Ah finally I can hear one assembled act of the play :9: we all sound great together but special kudos go to Ava here, who has the central role in this act, giving us a believable performance of a woman slowly going mad :thumbs:

Act 4 PL ok. No doubt about that.

Good job, Chuck :) You only forgot to put the names of all the readers for this act into the reader slot in the MW. Or are you doing that all right at the end ? :hmm:

Sonia
Nope, I'm just a forgetful idiot. I'll fix that now.
PROJECTS
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Well I don´t know if i could pronounce them correctly or give the appropiate intention in the words and their linking. My tarzanlike english is maybe not the best for a play in ancient english, but is a minor role so.... i won´t ruin your cake
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_attendant_5.mp3
One book to rule them all and in the Public Domain bind them
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

phileasfogg wrote: January 28th, 2018, 10:25 am Well I don´t know if i could pronounce them correctly or give the appropiate intention in the words and their linking. My tarzanlike english is maybe not the best for a play in ancient english, but is a minor role so.... i won´t ruin your cake
I think you're being too hard on yourself. I rather like the recording. :-)

I'm of the opinion that you can never have too many accents or performance styles in a dramatic project. That's one of the beauties of Librivox.
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

phileasfogg wrote:Well I don´t know if i could pronounce them correctly or give the appropiate intention in the words and their linking. My tarzanlike english is maybe not the best for a play in ancient english, but is a minor role so.... i won´t ruin your cake
Victor, you did not ruin it AT ALL. I like the character you created, he sounds somehow very serene and quiet, a bit sad too in a way. The sort of dedicated attendant to his lord. I can well picture him on stage. As for potential accent, it is not spoiling the enjoyment of listening at all. Back then, they surely were not all locals either that worked in the castle. :mrgreen:

On the whole it's super well done and although you only had a few lines, you made the most of them to give your person a real character :thumbs: This is what we want.

I have a few corrections to add though:

> at 0:23: (p. 82 bottom): “last night i’ the midnight watch she disappeared” – this i’ is the abbreviation of “in”, so it’s better if you pronounce it like a Spanish “i” not the English pronoun “I”, because it changes the meaning.
It’s actually totally fine if you simply read “in”, because then it’s much clearer what it means and it’s easier to pronounce ;) (I myself would have said “in” there, instead of “i”). So: “in the midnight watch”.

> at about 0:46: (p. 98 top) missing lines: “Lady, I bring you most dismal news: too grievous for my Lord, so suddenly and unprepar’d, to hear

> at 1:01: (p. 98 middle) “foul stains” – this is probably optional, but I mention it anyway, since you told me to correct the pronunciation: “foul” is said like the ‘ou’ in “house”. Yours sounds more like “full”, which would change the meaning slightly

Excellent job, Victor, I am totally happy that you participated here :9: and I hope it won't be the last time.

PS. the expression "tarzanlike English" made me chuckle :lol:

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I think maybe I looked at this briefly, but since you need just two roles, you can put me down for Maurice.
HE IS RISEN
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: January 29th, 2018, 9:46 pm I think maybe I looked at this briefly, but since you need just two roles, you can put me down for Maurice.
super, so you're going for the sleazy spy and traitor :mrgreen: thank you Larry. I'll sign you up, since Chuck is probably still in the land of nod.

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: January 30th, 2018, 12:39 am
silverquill wrote: January 29th, 2018, 9:46 pm I think maybe I looked at this briefly, but since you need just two roles, you can put me down for Maurice.
super, so you're going for the sleazy spy and traitor :mrgreen: thank you Larry. I'll sign you up, since Chuck is probably still in the land of nod.

Sonia
I was indeed asleep! :lol:

Thanks Larry. Maurice is a really fun role. I had originally considered taking it before deciding to narrate instead.
PROJECTS