COMPLETE The Castle Spectre by Matthew Lewis-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote:I'm a bit confused by this PL note because, apart from the missing "by Matthew Lewis" the first time, what Chuck says is entirely consistent with the scripts I've prepared. :hmm: As above, I don't want to keep appending "A Drama in 5 Acts" to the title, because it's redundant.
sorry my notes were confusing :? But I agree and I didn't mean you should include the full title each time. I was PLing with the archive text and basing myself on the standard "Intro" note in your first post, Tomas. So all I meant was:

1) in the first Act say the full title after the intro disclaimer

2) in all the other acts, say only Act [#] of The Castle Spectre by Matthew Lewis. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org. without repeating the title after that, but starting with the first scene immediately after the intro.

while Chuck did:

1) in the first Act leave out the full title

2) in the second act forget "by Matthew Lewis" and repeat the full title

not sure whether it is clearer now :roll:
So, Chuck, just add the full title before the dramatis personae for Act 1, and "by Matthew Lewis" for the Act 2 disclaimer. The rest of Sonia's notes stand as they are. :thumbs:
yes I guess basically that's what I meant LOL

I try to check your files later in the day

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote:All of Percy's acts have been uploaded for PL. :)
YES ! you nailed Percy exactly. :thumbs: The youthful lover but with the resolution to save the damsel in distress by all means. I loved the tone of your voice when you spit out the menace "Osmond despair - I come !"

Oh and the special effect for Percy inside the armour is perfect. It really sounds as if you were speaking inside some metal box. :clap:

Now errors or omissions found. So Percy is PL ok.

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you for clarifying, Sonia! What the problem was: I had the narrator repeat the title after the disclaimer in the scripts, but now I've altered all of them in light of your PL notes. So Chuck can now read them verbatim without having to worry now. :lol:
Tomas Peter
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Many thanks, Leanne and David! :) I've updated the MW for Sonia, who will PL in due time. :thumbs:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Nicely done. Your Angela is not content with being the typical swooning Gothic heroine, but she is quite fiercely defending herself. :thumbs:

For Acts 2 and 3 I have some notes so far:

Act 2:

> at 3:28: “then save me” – you say “then have me”, which is quite the contrary (in fact that is what the old lecher wants :mrgreen: )

Act 3:

> at 1:06: “what sick man preserved by your care” – you say “cure” (slight difference, but might be optional)

> at 3:00: “how heavenly”: strange, here in mid-word the audio stops, as if you had muted your microphone. the last 2 minutes are silent. Maybe that is the reason why checker shows the volume so low, only 84 dB. Maybe with the rest of the text, the volume will show up higher. So sorry about that. :(

on to the next two acts...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oh I loved the final scenes in the dungeon, where Angela is full of despair, yet forceful enough to kill Osmond ! This is quite a strong character, all out of the ordinary for the time in which it was written.

Still, there is quite a bit to add to these scenes, as you forgot a part of your lines:

Act 4:

right at the beginning, you missed your first lengthy speech and most importantly: a song ! (Starting with: Will it never arrive, this tedious lingering hour?... etc)

> at 0:33: ‘t was my mother’s spirit: you say: “I was”

> at 1:04: “aid us to escape” – you say “and us”

> at 1:16: “your brother, Osmond ?” – she is speaking here to Osmond, asking about his brother, but your intonation makes it sound as if she was speaking about his brother called Osmond. This makes it a bit confusing

Act 5:

> at 0:26: “and then drink as you list” – I think I hear “as you lift”, but I’m not sure about that one

> at 2:20: “and the accents of pity” – you say: “accounts of pity”

> at the end you missed to include the entire epilogue, which is also supposed to be read by Angela. (starting with: Osmond by this arrived at Charon’s ferry… etc)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dlolso21 wrote:Prologue (Reginald - 1)
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/castlespectre_reginald_1.mp3 5:17
David O
thank you David, this was one long prologue :shock: but you almost read it without any errors, in fact I only found two:

> at 3:24: "and gibing fool" – you say "gibbling fool"

> at 4:30: "or desert opprest" – “desert” meaning “place full of sand” does not make sense here, in my opinion. I think it should be pronounced /di-ZERT/ - meaning "merit”, which is oppressed here :hmm:

If I might make one further suggestion: I think you leave too much silent space between the different lines. Sometimes 2 to 3, even 4 seconds, which makes the prologue over 5 minutes long. I'm not saying it should be rushed, as the text is quite interesting for the play, but this struck me a bit over long while listening, because the silence sounded so needlessly lengthened in-between. Of course we can leave this up to the editor, who can choose whether to shorten the silences, if he also thinks it's better this way. This was only my opinion.

Sonia
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

revised prologue uploaded.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dlolso21 wrote:revised prologue uploaded.
yes thank you, this sounds much more fluent now. You managed to shorten it from 5 to 3.5 minutes. :thumbs: And both errors nicely edited away :) thanks

PL ok for Prologue

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Corrections made to all Angela's files. The file name should be the same, it's just uploading now.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

leanneyauyau wrote:Corrections made to all Angela's files. The file name should be the same, it's just uploading now.
Act 2 is PL ok now, thanks.

But there are still 2 lines missing in Act 3.

> at about 3:49: insert missing line: To save me ? Speak ! Proceed !

> at about 4:01: insert missing line: Good Friar, till One, farewell !

(edited to correct my own error)

So did you find out what happened, that the recording simply blanked out in the middle ? :hmm:

on to the next acts...

Sonia
Last edited by Kitty on March 21st, 2017, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote: > at about 4:01: insert missing line: Good night, Friar, till One, farewell !
Oops, actually this line is "Good Friar, till One, farewell!" without the 'night.' I double-checked the Archive copy to make sure. Although if Leanne records it with the 'night,' it probably wouldn't make a difference.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote:
Kitty wrote: > at about 4:01: insert missing line: Good night, Friar, till One, farewell !
Oops, actually this line is "Good Friar, till One, farewell!" without the 'night.' I double-checked the Archive copy to make sure. Although if Leanne records it with the 'night,' it probably wouldn't make a difference.
ehm you're right, I actually also check with the archive copy, but since I need to write the lines down manually instead of copy/pasting, I simply remembered it wrongly when I wrote it down LOL

I'll edit my first post, before Leanne checks ;) Thanks Tomas for being vigilant.

Sonia