COMPLETE The Castle Spectre by Matthew Lewis-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RecordingPerson

Post by RecordingPerson »

May I claim Alaric?

He has only one and a bit lines. The 'bit' being 'My lord! My lord!' with others. I presume that I'd record the solo line and the 'My Lord! My Lord!' and the editor would put the latter together with other's recordings.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

RecordingPerson wrote:May I claim Alaric?

He has only one and a bit lines. The 'bit' being 'My lord! My lord!' with others. I presume that I'd record the solo line and the 'My Lord! My Lord!' and the editor would put the latter together with other's recordings.
Yup, that's exactly the plan with Alaric! You've been assigned to the role, but please make sure your One-Minute Test is OK'ed by someone before you begin recording.

Your catalogue page is also ready: https://librivox.org/reader/11706 From a response you gave in another thread, I assumed your forum and reader name will be the same. If there are any changes you want to make, contact an admin and they will take care of it.
Tomas Peter
RecordingPerson

WiltedScribe wrote: Yup, that's exactly the plan with Alaric! You've been assigned to the role, but please make sure your One-Minute Test is OK'ed by someone before you begin recording.

Your catalogue page is also ready: https://librivox.org/reader/11706 From a response you gave in another thread, I assumed your forum and reader name will be the same. If there are any changes you want to make, contact an admin and they will take care of it.
Thanks. I'm waiting for an OK of the one minute test. Then, I have about three or four small roles to record. (And hopefully some poetry.)
RecordingPerson

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RecordingPerson wrote:Have I pronounced 'Alaric' correctly?

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/castle_spectre_alaric_act5.mp3
Hi there and welcome to LV. Nice that you found your way to the Drama Forum immediately, we can always use new voices :)

as for pronunciation, we are not that strict here, as long as the same person is pronouncing it consistently. But yes, I would have pronounced it the same way, if you ask me.

I will mark your recording PL ok, because all the lines are in, no errors read and it was nicely read too.

Since this is one of your first recordings though, I will mention a few things, which are ok here, but which you can watch out for in your next recordings:

1) the volume is at 93.3 dB, which is a bit too high for LV standard. We accept anything between 86 and 92, with a preferred average of 89 db. As I said, here in DR it's not such a catastrophe, as the editor later on will adjust all the volumes anyway. I will mark it in the MW for Tomas for watch out for.

2) the standardized file name for each project is always mentioned in the very first post. Yours is a tiny bit different (castle_spectre instead of castlespectre e.g.) Again, in Drama it's not important, as your file will get deleted anyway, once the lines have been pasted into the final act. But in other projects, you need to use the standardized file name

3) this note is actually important for drama readings: please always read the lines in the order they appear in the text. "My lord my lord" should have been the first quote in your recording. Again: not that important this time, because it's only two lines and Tomas will find them easily enough. But if ever you read the main lead character and have a recording of about 20 minutes or so, it will help the editor immensely if the lines are in the correct order ;)

Thanks for helping out here. Hope to hear more from you in another play soon (chances are you will have me as DPL again :mrgreen: )

Sonia

PS for Tomas: I'm not sure Alaric should have been included in the "All" line, because in the original it said: "The Africans". Is Alaric one of the Africans ? I didn't think so (with that name). :hmm: Probably not important though, we can also include him in the chorus, since he has done the lines already.
RecordingPerson

Thanks. I had some time finding the lines as it wasn't letting me search. Normally I would put the lines in the same order as in the script/book, but I recorded My Lord! My Lord! from memory as I couldn't find it. Sorry about that.

When you say 89dB, what do you mean? Usually for digital files, volume levels are compared to 'full scale', but those dB measurements can only be zero or negative. What is the reference level for your 89dB? I have the checker program but didn't use this time it as my previous submissions' volume was rated as correct, and I presumed that since I was normalising to the same level (-3dB) that this file would be OK.

I feel my voice is boring and I'm not putting life in the characters. But, hopefully I can improve that with practice.

In general: I'm in a learning curve.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RecordingPerson wrote:Thanks. I had some time finding the lines as it wasn't letting me search. Normally I would put the lines in the same order as in the script/book, but I recorded My Lord! My Lord! from memory as I couldn't find it. Sorry about that.
ah ok you were reading from the archive document then ? Tomas had made special colour-coded google doc sheets to make it easier read from
When you say 89dB, what do you mean? Usually for digital files, volume levels are compared to 'full scale', but those dB measurements can only be zero or negative. What is the reference level for your 89dB? I have the checker program but didn't use this time it as my previous submissions' volume was rated as correct, and I presumed that since I was normalising to the same level (-3dB) that this file would be OK.
oh I remember we had already a big discussion with some really versed tech-guy, I can't remember who though. I am not an expert, I'm afraid. I only know, that the Checker program checks my volume and puts it at 88 or 89 dB and then it's ok for me. LOL I know in Audacity it's between -5 and 5 I think, is that what you mean ? Sorry, I can't be more precise, as I am not an expert on these matters. I try to find the discussion back for you, maybe you understand more there.
I feel my voice is boring and I'm not putting life in the characters. But, hopefully I can improve that with practice.
I wouldn't have said dull, no. Well, you cannot do enormously with just one line you know. Once you take on bigger roles, you will probably "grow more" into the character. But it is totally cool of you to start small. That way you get learn things by and by before launching into bigger stuff. Good choice.
in general: I'm in a learning curve.
excellent attitude, I'm sure I will hear more from you soon ;)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah I found the thread back with the discussion about the volume level:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=872&start=75

it's on page 6, if you scroll down until you find the first post from "Lurcherlover". He starts talking about difference of 89 db and -3 or whatever it is you meant. Read the next few posts, there he explains more I think. Maybe it makes it clearer for you.

I'm sure Lurcherlover could explain more, if you just write your question in that thread. He's still around and quite helpful I think.

Sonia
RecordingPerson

Thanks for the reply.
Kitty wrote: ah ok you were reading from the archive document then ? Tomas had made special colour-coded google doc sheets to make it easier read from
Ah yes, that'll be the mistake I made. I was reading from the archive document. I was thinking that 'something looks different' :)
oh I remember we had already a big discussion with some really versed tech-guy, I can't remember who though. I am not an expert, I'm afraid. I only know, that the Checker program checks my volume and puts it at 88 or 89 dB and then it's ok for me. LOL I know in Audacity it's between -5 and 5 I think, is that what you mean ? Sorry, I can't be more precise, as I am not an expert on these matters. I try to find the discussion back for you, maybe you understand more there.
I'll try normalising to -5dBFS and see how that works.
I wouldn't have said dull, no. Well, you cannot do enormously with just one line you know. Once you take on bigger roles, you will probably "grow more" into the character. But it is totally cool of you to start small. That way you get learn things by and by before launching into bigger stuff. Good choice.
I can imagine much more interesting delivery, but when I try and do that, it just sounds the same as it always does.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Early on I once thought I had read the three male voices in a book chapter very differently but on listening as I edited the file I thought they were all sounding like me. But the PL person on that book chapter liked it. I was hearing me - trying to sound different, but still me; they were hearing a story with three characters in it.

One of the interesting things about being here for a while is that you CAN start to hear differences in your voice. Even in the time of day when you record - a morning voice does not blend with an evening voice.

Enjoy - this is habit forming!

Thanks, Todd
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you for the quick turnaround, RecordingPerson! :clap: I do hope you continue volunteering in this forum. I feel many readers fear they are not expressive enough to read for dramatic parts, but once they dip their toe in, they find that it's actually quite fun. I know of some readers who were initially hesitant who, after reading for a few plays, began to claim more and more because they found they had been underestimating themselves. So I hope doing these bit parts will give you the courage to try for larger roles later on. Projects in this forum really do need more readers sometimes, and it's always great to hear new voices come along!

Sonia, I took it for granted that all of Osmond's cronies, save for Kenric, are African. And since Alaric only has one line to himself, it can't hurt for him to join in a group line, too. :P
Tomas Peter
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Finally got around to fixing these. Here you go:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/castlespectre_narration_1.mp3 [3:41]
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/castlespectre_narration_2.mp3 [8:41]

And if everything goes as planned, I'll record the rest tomorrow!
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

Is the part of Kenric taken?
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

ChuckW wrote:Finally got around to fixing these. Here you go:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/castlespectre_narration_1.mp3 [3:41]
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/castlespectre_narration_2.mp3 [8:41]

And if everything goes as planned, I'll record the rest tomorrow!
Thank you, Chuck! I'm away for the weekend, but Sonia will take care of the incoming files. Then Todd can post the drafts of the last three acts!
Tomas Peter
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

pjcsaville wrote:Is the part of Kenric taken?
Hi there! No, it's not! I'm assuming you'd like to claim since you're asking. :P
Tomas Peter