COMPLETE[PLAY] The Schoolmistress by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:Don't worry about cutting things out. I can make such adjustments during editing. (It's the cutting IN that I can't do then!)
Thanks, Todd
yes that's what I figured. I made you a reminder note in the MW for it :)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote:
SonOfTheExiles wrote:But ... but ... if an Admiral becomes "charming", won't that rip a hole in time and space, and plunge us all into a parallel yet subtly different universe?
that's why I said "in your own special way" ;)
P.S. I haven't read the last Act yet, but I am rather expecting a denouement with Mrs Rankling. :shock:
"Archibald! I've been doing some thinking, and ... [hefting vase] ... there's something I want to bounce off you."
well did you expect the missus to just quietly suffer your mood her entire life ? Miss Dyott had a talk with Mrs Rankling and may have nudged her on the right path :mrgreen:

Sonia
HINT: it is not a vase....

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 3 stage directions uploaded and in the MW for PL. Just when I thought the plot could not get more complex than in Act 2....

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hehe yes in the third act there is quite a lot of confusion in the dark of the house. I love it that so many people are involved in small groups.

Excellently read again, but I have three small comments:

> right at the beginning: I remember you said Act 1 - The mystery, but here you leave out "The Nightmare". I actually checked in Act 2 and you also didn't say "The Party", only there I forgot about the titles (shame on me :oops: ). Shouldn't we have the three acts identical, either with or without the titles ? I think in the Magistrate we used the titles. :hmm:

> at 10:09: "and carrying his gloves and umbrella": I think you deleted "and" by mistake and now it sounds a bit jumped

> at 16:38: "in Bernstein's opera": you say "Bern-steen" here, but "Bern-stine" later at 17:49. Which did we agree on again ? I think it was "stine" but I'm not sure anymore

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 3 narration corrections made. I had actually carefully fixed my originally recorded BERN-stine to be BERN-steen. Now it is back as it should be.

(Added The Party to Act 2 but no need to check now - wait 'til I upload with the parts cut in.)

Thanks, Todd
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Narrator Act 3 Spot PL ok

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oh Chuck for this role you really got the perfect charmer out of the closet :9: I loved the easy laughs in Act 2 and the yawning sleepy voice was simply endearing.

However...before I let you off the hook, you missed some sentences, here they are:

in Act 2:

> at about 1:31: please insert two missing quotes

p. 103: I know. Tell the old gentleman.

p. 104: [to themselves] The pudding !

> at about 1:40: missing line:

p. 107: [together] No, thank you.

> at 2:30: The Escape ! Where is it ? (p. 123) – you read from the faulty Gutenberg text, I see ;)

Act 3:

> at about 0:45: missing sentence:

p. 136: Come along – I know the way.

> at the end: missing sentence:

p. 146: [listening] What’s that ?

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote:
oh Chuck for this role you really got the perfect charmer out of the closet :9: I loved the easy laughs in Act 2 and the yawning sleepy voice was simply endearing.

However...before I let you off the hook, you missed some sentences, here they are:

in Act 2:

> at about 1:31: please insert two missing quotes

p. 103: I know. Tell the old gentleman.

p. 104: [to themselves] The pudding !

> at about 1:40: missing line:

p. 107: [together] No, thank you.

> at 2:30: The Escape ! Where is it ? (p. 123) – you read from the faulty Gutenberg text, I see ;)

Act 3:

> at about 0:45: missing sentence:

p. 136: Come along – I know the way.

> at the end: missing sentence:

p. 146: [listening] What’s that ?

Sonia
Buuuuusted. I didn't see the note about the Gutenberg version until after the fact. I guess I shrugged it off and said, "What could possibly go wrong?" Well, now I know better.

Anyway, both files have been fixed and uploaded.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote:Buuuuusted. I didn't see the note about the Gutenberg version until after the fact. I guess I shrugged it off and said, "What could possibly go wrong?" Well, now I know better.
hehe, yes this Gutenberg version is really full of errors, that's why we decided to use the archive text in the end ;)

All the missing lines fixed now and PL ok. The third act is a bit below 86 dB, I'll make a note for Todd.

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

All the copying errors in the Gutenberg text suggest that, prior to scanning, the book was stored next to one about radium.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS42U6CbzvUWmiEHJ_X0clF2r6i1c6byNC7dFlLhL1aNs_OAep4vK-_NwDNzA

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:lol: you really might be onto something there

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"you really might be onto something there"

So glad you didn't leave the "to" out of "onto" in that sentence.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here is the Honorable Vere, Chapter 1.
Since his voice is offstage at the beginning, I tried for that effect, but I'm not sure it is entirely successful, so I recorded a more normal version as well, so you can choose whatever seems to work.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/schoolmistress_queckett_1.mp3
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17