COMPLETE[PLAY] The Schoolmistress by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The Schoolmistress by Arthur Wing Pinero (1855 - 1934).

The second of Pinero's farces, following the wildly successful "The Magistrate", and likewise a hit.

The Schoolmistress has a secret: "Think of the deception I am practising upon dear Vere! Think of the people who believe in the rigid austerity of Caroline Dyott, Principal of Volumnia College. Think of the precious confidence reposed in me by the parents and relations of twenty-seven innocent pupils. Give an average of eight and a half relations to each pupil; multiply eight and a half by twenty-seven and you approximate the number whose trust I betray this night!"

The three acts are subtitled 1 - The Mystery, 2 - The Party, and 3 - The Nightmare. - Summary by ToddHW ( ToddHW)

• This play is complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-schoolmistress-by-arthur-wing-pinero/

Thought I'd just mention that while Pinero is a new playwright to me, I just read a Ngaio Marsh murder mystery from the 1950's ("Death at the Vulcan") that takes place in a theater and the situation is compared by some of the characters with the family skeleton and revealed secrets underlying Pinero's "The Magistrate" which we just finished and cataloged (today!). So I guess Pinero was once and should now be better known.

Gender neutral as always.
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/schoolmistressa01pinegoog#page/n26/mode/2up (The Gutenberg text at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47560 is rife with errors. Beware if you try to use it.)
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: XfLK2haG
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Arthur Wing Pinero) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Wing_Pinero
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 43
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1894
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays; Humorous Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: navy ashore, school teachers, young ladies

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of The Schoolmistress, by Arthur Wing Pinero. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        schoolmistress_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ToddHW
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
Thanks, Todd
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Ah, so happy to see another Pinero launched. The Magistrate was a wonderful experience for me.

Most of the male cast seems to be of the older set, so I will pluck for the young bridegroom Mr Reginald Paulover this time around. :)
Tomas Peter
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks. Glad you are enjoying these. Looks like Gutenberg.org has a buncha them and I'll try to get to them all in time.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Todd

I so loved the Magistrate that I hope this one will be equally good. I can do DPL and I would like to try to be Miss Dyott as well. She seems like a strong character, plus she gets to sing in the final act :mrgreen:

Thanks for bringing these plays into the cartalogue. :thumbs:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you for reading Miss Dyott - I'll PL your part. And singing is not expected - you can just read that part. Or pick a PD tune if you wish.

And thanks especially for being DPL yet again! You do a great job helping people get their parts "good enough", and giving me all the material I need for assembly!

Thanks, Todd
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

I'll claim Dinah! :)
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

leanneyauyau wrote:I'll claim Dinah! :)
Thank you.

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I decided I needed to be an Admiral and grabbed Archibald Rankling of the Flagship Pandora.

Thanks, Todd
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Awww... would you marry me? :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Availle wrote:Awww... would you marry me? :mrgreen:
Welcome aboard, my dear. Sorry about sending you off to the scullery for the entirety of Act 2, but as for the rest of the play, we can make a beautiful audiobook together!

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Todd

May I read Otto Bernstein. I have often wished I was a (popular) composer, this is probably the closest I will ever get.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

alanmapstone wrote:Hi Todd

May I read Otto Bernstein. I have often wished I was a (popular) composer, this is probably the closest I will ever get.
Thanks.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I just finished the first Act for Miss Dyott. I must admit, compared to some of my other roles, this one was not easy for me to pull off. I hope I can do her justice.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/schoolmistress_miss_dyott_1.mp3
Recording time: 11:40 min.

Reading around my lines as well, I couldn't help but think that your tone of voice would have fit excellently for the role of Queckett too, Todd. Pity you needed to be an admiral LOL

Oh and I think I found two errors in the text (at least for my part)
ERMYNTRUDE, GWENDOLINE, AND DINAH.
[Under their breath.] Miss Dyott! Miss Dyott! [They quickly disappear. Peggy remains, hastily concealing the letter. Miss Dyott enters. She is a good-looking, dark woman of dignified presence and rigid demeanour, her dress and manner being those of the typical schoolmistress.] Is that Miss Hesslerigge?

PEGGY.
[Demurely.] Yes, Miss Dyott.
I think the sentence "Is that Miss Hesslerigge?" should be spoken by Miss Dyott in the context

btw it's Hesslerigge, not Hesslbrigge, I'll change that in the MW...
QUECKETT.
Good-morning, Caroline, good-morning.

MISS DYOTT.
How is my little pet to-day? [Kissing his cheek, which he turns to her for the purposed] Naughty Vere is down later than usual. It isn't my fault, dear, the florist was late in sending my flower.

MISS DYOTT.
What a shame!
Here the sentence " It isn't my fault, dear, the florist was late in sending my flower." should be said by Queckett. I'm not even sure the preceding sentence "Naughty Vere is down later than usual." is Miss Dyott who's saying it. But I spoke it nevertheless, in case you think it's her.

Let me know what you think. I just hope the other characters don't have many such mis-appropriated lines. :?

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right, I was almost nonexistant in Act 2 :lol: I only have the last two words...but I just had to record them about a dozen times before I found a tone of voice that I thought suited the situation. :roll:

here's the winner....

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/schoolmistress_miss_dyott_2.mp3
Recording time: 0:11 min.

final act hopefully tomorrow...need to go to bed soon

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. I put a note in the MW about the line for Queckett.

And I am sure those were two very important words in Act 2!

Todd