COMPLETE[PLAY] The Inconstant by George Farquhar - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Bravo 4: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/inconstant_br4_5.mp3

Since Bravo 4 tells the audience he is a broken officer, naturally he must have a posh accent. :roll: Now you know what part of the British Isles MY family originally came from.

I've given you two different versions of the OMNES "Ah dear sir", with different lengths on the "Ah", so as to fit better with how the others do it.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Bravo 4: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/inconstant_br4_5.mp3
Since Bravo 4 tells the audience he is a broken officer, naturally he must have a posh accent. :roll: Now you know what part of the British Isles MY family originally came from.
I'm not good at localizing accents, so I actually didn't find out ;) but I LOVED the rasp !!!! (not good for your vocal chords though, luckily you only had to do three sentences). He sounds very threatening, excellent.

PL ok Waiting for Alan and then we have our ratpack of bravoes together :9:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sorry, Nemo, I almost missed your contribution ! But I love your portrayal of Dugard, all "down-to-earth, responsible brother", sometimes a bit rash with Mirabel though (understandably).

Act 1 is already PL ok, but in the other three acts, I have a few notes to make:

Act 3:

> at about 1:22: please insert missing sentence: "I scorn all artifice whatsoever; my sword shall do her justice."

Act 4:

> at 1:00: "There, there, behold an object that's infective" - you say "ineffective", which is not quite the same ;)

Act 5:

> at about 0:20: please insert missing "Omnes" sentence: "Oriana!" Dugard is also in this scene, and as her brother he will surely be among those who cry this out in wonder

thanks !

Sonia
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Kitty wrote:
sorry, Nemo, I almost missed your contribution ! But I love your portrayal of Dugard, all "down-to-earth, responsible brother", sometimes a bit rash with Mirabel though (understandably).

Act 1 is already PL ok, but in the other three acts, I have a few notes to make:

Act 3:

> at about 1:22: please insert missing sentence: "I scorn all artifice whatsoever; my sword shall do her justice."

Act 4:

> at 1:00: "There, there, behold an object that's infective" - you say "ineffective", which is not quite the same ;)

Act 5:

> at about 0:20: please insert missing "Omnes" sentence: "Oriana!" Dugard is also in this scene, and as her brother he will surely be among those who cry this out in wonder

thanks !

Sonia
Thanks Sonia, all fixed and up again for spot checks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/inconstant_dugard_3.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/inconstant_dugard_4.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/inconstant_dugard_5.mp3

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote:Thanks Sonia, all fixed and up again for spot checks!
thank you that was quick. And all PL ok now :thumbs:

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Won-der-ful performance of Petit, Eva :clap: I can really see you as a little streetwise urchin who is plotting all along and telling his masters a few truths along the way :mrgreen: There's no flaw in the performance. PL ok.

Oh and the knocking was a good touch, I think that should be kept it.

Thanks !

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Kitty wrote:Won-der-ful performance of Petit, Eva :clap: I can really see you as a little streetwise urchin who is plotting all along and telling his masters a few truths along the way :mrgreen: There's no flaw in the performance. PL ok.

Oh and the knocking was a good touch, I think that should be kept it.

Thanks !

Sonia
Whew! Thank you, Sonia! :9:

If ever there are sounds and things in my files, they are ony there "just in case" they suit. :D
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:I recorded Old Mirabel ages ago and forgot I had done so. Just found and edited the file.
great performance :clap: how on earth could you keep that angry voice up throughout the entire play ? Apart from that one soft relief where he is praising how Oriana is longing for his son, there your voice changed extremely, which was a very good touch :thumbs:

Acts 3, 4 and 5 already PL ok.

Some small notes for Acts 1 and 2:

Act 1:

> at 3:11: "Captain Duretete, by the blood of the Mirabels, I'm yours!" - not sure if you want to correct the name, but you say "Dur-ETTE" (which sounds a bit like Tourette :roll: ) but actually it's "Dur-TETE", which means "hard head" in French, so maybe the telling name should be used as pun. I leave that up to you

Act 2:

> at about 0:55: missing sentence: "Bob, harkye, you shall marry one of these girls, sirrah!"

> at 1:04: "Duretete, you shall have your choice too" - same here for Duretete. Here I thought, I hope it won't turn into another Glenda/Glyda moment :help: Luckily this is the last time he mentions the captain by name

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I was picturing an angry embittered old man with shattered dreams living only on memories and the hope that his son at least would amount to something since he had not. Glad it came through well.

Yes, I can fix those.

But what actual do you mean by TETE ? Are both Es sounded - TE-TE - or is it more like TET and just drop the second E as you did the one at the end of Dure? Is the E long or short? (I am listening to the "History of English" podcast which is just going over the Norman influence on vowels and consonant sound shifts, and how scribes were starting to invent spelling tricks to indicate the different vowel sounds since they refused to carry over the continental accent marks.... As a result I am more confused than ever!)

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:But what actual do you mean by TETE ? Are both Es sounded - TE-TE - or is it more like TET and just drop the second E as you did the one at the end of Dure?
yes, a sort of /dur-tayt/ would probably aptly describe it. But not an extreme 'ay' like in "hay"....hmm how to explain... I believe that the French word "fete" also exists in English, don't you speak this the same way than the French ? You don't say "fate" or "feet" do you ? But more a longer ehhh

Better idea, I made you a quick soundfile...
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/duretete.mp3
(I am listening to the "History of English" podcast which is just going over the Norman influence on vowels and consonant sound shifts, and how scribes were starting to invent spelling tricks to indicate the different vowel sounds since they refused to carry over the continental accent marks.... As a result I am more confused than ever!)
fond memories from my medieval English linguistics course at uni :9: but yes, the Normans and Saxons together made the English spelling so confusing LOL

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks. You are a joy to work with!

Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose