[Complete] The Princess Zoubaroff by Ronald Firbank - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
VivianWeaver

Post by VivianWeaver »

I would be happy to take Mrs. Mangrove in sections 3 and 4. I've been out of the picture for a couple of months but have a brand-new microphone now. :clap:

Vivian
Vivian Weaver
Never underestimate the power of your truth.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote:Here's Enid, sorry for the delay (luckily ? archive was offline for maintenance yesterday, so I was forced to read this or go to bed without anything...)
great ! thanks Ava. I'll PL soon. :9: I hope archive is working again :?

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

VivianWeaver wrote:I would be happy to take Mrs. Mangrove in sections 3 and 4. I've been out of the picture for a couple of months but have a brand-new microphone now. :clap:

Vivian
Hi Vivian. Thanks for helping out. I will sign you up and look forward to hearing the quality of your new microphone now.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Well done, Ava, I just finished your three acts for Enid. You gave her a sort cynicism which I think fits the character very well. I also loved your several laughs, which sound very natural. :thumbs:

I did find some small parts to be corrected though:

> all 3 acts are slightly under the required minimum of 86 dB (85.9 / 84.9 / 84.5), but that can be adjusted in assembling later on. I can make a note in the MW

PL notes for Act 1:

> at 0:41 and 0:48: repeat "A head and hands business": is there one you prefer ? (although they sound similar to me)

> at 2:00: three missing lines here to be inserted, you seem to have skipped page 13:

"Excuse me, Nadine, but what is Charlotte's address ?"

"And Elise ?"

"Oh, thank you, dear."

PL notes for Act 2:

> at 4:30 and 4:36: repeat "Oh but an infant", again, which of the two you prefer ?

PL notes for Act 3:

> at 2:24: repeat and click sound to be cut out "Oh Eric don't"

thanks
Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Here's Enid again, sorry for the trouble:

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_enidtresillian_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_enidtresillian_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_enidtresillian_3.mp3

I have not changed the volume because it is unlikely to be an issue - half of the file is silence which probably throws off whatever you use to check the volume in the first place.

Besides, volume editing and noise cleaning was always the task of the editor... :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote:Here's Enid again, sorry for the trouble:

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_enidtresillian_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_enidtresillian_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_enidtresillian_3.mp3

I have not changed the volume because it is unlikely to be an issue - half of the file is silence which probably throws off whatever you use to check the volume in the first place.

Besides, volume editing and noise cleaning was always the task of the editor... :D
thanks, all three acts PL ok now.

You're probably right about the volume and it will need to be checked by the editor anyway. Didn't know about the noise-cleaning though. :hmm: For me it would make more sense that each reader pre-noise-cleaned their recording, since otherwise the editor will have to work on a whole file with totally different background noises. Strikes me as difficult to achieve cleaning there.

Anyway, great job, as I already said. Thanks Ava ! Looking forward to hearing you in another play :)

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Kitty wrote:Didn't know about the noise-cleaning though. :hmm:
That's because people aren't reading the instructions properly these days... :P
If you check this project's first post (all dramatic projects', that is), you will see:
After recording: save file as - upload

For all other group or solo projects it says:
After recording: need noisecleaning? [instructions here] - save file as - upload
For me it would make more sense that each reader pre-noise-cleaned their recording, since otherwise the editor will have to work on a whole file with totally different background noises. Strikes me as difficult to achieve cleaning there.
I would expect the editor to do the noise cleaning BEFORE assembling :shock: but AFTER checking each reader's file how compatible they are to begin with. If you have 9 files with a similar hum and one that doesn't have any, I would rather trim the 10th file closely before doing noisecleaning on the other 9. If it's the other way around, 9 clean files and one with a hum, that would get the noiscleaning and a close trimming during assembly.

Part of the reasoning here is that an editor is usually an experienced reader who knows what she's doing with noisecleaning. People with less experience may read for a role (because plays are easy) and may do inadequate/too much noisecleaning. With noisecleaning it's best to do as little as possible, but if you get something that has already been gone over once, it may be more difficult to make "sound right" than when you can do it from scratch.

One of my readers once had a sound somewhere between a tincan and an aquarium. Solution: Turn off the noisecancelling on the microphone. She sounds sooo much better since then. Remember her? ;-)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote:I would expect the editor to do the noise cleaning BEFORE assembling :shock:
ok yes that makes sense LOL

well most of the files I PL (and they are many !) they seem to be fairly noise cleaned already. It didn't disturb the overall effect. Nobody complained yet that I noise cleaned mine :? It probably saves the editor a big chunk of work if they were all noise-cleaned beforehand.
One of my readers once had a sound somewhere between a tincan and an aquarium. Solution: Turn off the noisecancelling on the microphone. She sounds sooo much better since then. Remember her? ;-)
hehe, seems like a life-time ago :mrgreen: to be fair, I also use a much better microphone these days. But yes, the noisecancelling was deadly. I wonder why they build that into microphones at all :hmm:

Sonia
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Kitty wrote:But yes, the noisecancelling was deadly. I wonder why they build that into microphones at all :hmm:
It may have been a gaming headset/microphone, or something people use for skype and similar. There, being understood is paramount to having what we around here would call a "good sound".

Different applications need different settings. As long as you know what you're in for...
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Thanks for taking care of this project while I was away, Kitty. Unfortunately, real life stuff is... kinda keeping me away from things. But I should be able to check in periodically and hopefully get this into the catalogue soon.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Hello, can I please claim the rather interesting role of:

3 Marchesa Pitti-Conti

Thank you! :D
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bluechien wrote:Hello, can I please claim the rather interesting role of:

3 Marchesa Pitti-Conti

Thank you! :D
you CAN !!!! thank you Eva and have fun !!! Looking forward to listening to your first steps into drama :9:

Sonia
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

I'll close this out by claiming: (he says whimpering)

3 Dante Silvio Paolao, Act II

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote:I'll close this out by claiming: (he says whimpering)
3 Dante Silvio Paolao, Act II
Nemo
awesome :mrgreen: Feel free to whimper as much as you like. (what a change from Osmond to Dante though :roll: talk about culture shock)

That makes this play fully claimed. :clap:

Sonia
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

In my most demanding role, ready for PL :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_dante_2.mp3

Length is 0:28

Nemo
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."