[COMPLETE] The Curse of Capistrano by McCulley - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The Curse of Capistrano by Johnston McCulley (1883 - 1958).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-curse-of-capistrano-dramatic-reading-by-johnston-mcculley/

Volunteers outside the USA: Johnston McCulley died in 1958. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954).
The Curse of Capistrano is the first work to feature the fictional character Zorro (the Spanish word for "fox"). The story was later republished under the name The Mark of Zorro. The outlaw Zorro is Public Enemy #1 in southern California during the period of Mexican rule. But he's not a bad guy, really - he fights for justice for the oppressed. And when he meets the lovely Lolita, daughter of Don Pedro, who is on the governor's bad side, he has even more reason to fight. But she's being wooed by the rich and influential but wimpy Don Diego... ( TriciaG)
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you would like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please record from the text links in the Magic Window): http://manybooks.net/titles/mcculleyjother07Curse_of_Capistrano.html
    5. Please claim roles by character name! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

Roles are gender accurate. Accents not required, but I'd like Spanish words to be pronounced correctly. See notes in next post.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Submit one file per chapter.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

Please leave at least 3 seconds of silence between lines, to make it easier for the editor later on. :)

If you are the narrator, please include for each file: At the beginning: Chapter [#] of The Curse of Capistrano, by Johnston McCulley. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.
      At the end: End of Chapter [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      curseofcapistrano_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the chapter number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

A couple notes:

I'd like the Spanish-origin words to be pronounced as correctly as possible. Caballero, Don, Doña, Fray, etc. Accent (such as rolling R's) isn't required, but please ask if you have any doubts about pronunciation!

I'd like this to be gender accurate.

ROLES:

Don Diego/Zorro: he speaks languidly and weakly when Don Diego, but has a commanding voice when Zorro. Sounds like two different men. In chapters where both characters appear, I've made Diego's lines regular and Zorro's bold.

Señorita Lolita: young, spirited, proud female lead. Doesn't like Don Diego because he's such a wimp, but loves Zorro's spirit and bravery.

Sergeant Gonzales: braggart, likes drink. Often lies to make himself look better. Friend of Don Diego, but is out to get Zorro.

Don Carlos: Lolita's father. Is in disgrace with the governor. Would like to get his status back by marrying Lolita to Don Diego.

Doña Catalina: Don Carlos' wife and Lolita's mother.

Captain Ramon: the villain of the tale. Wants Lolita for himself, and will stop at nothing to get her.

Fray Felipe: Priest that hates the injustices against the poor and against the frailes.

Landlord: Tavern keeper

Spokesman of Caballeros: Young gentleman/caballero.

Governor: Comes down from up north to calm things down in the region. Somewhat corrupt.

Magistrado: Unjust to the poor and the frailes.

Don Alejandro: Don Diego's father. Older man, but still has fighting spirit.

Dealer in Hides: Falsely accuses Fray Felipe of cheating him.

Smaller roles:
Third Caballero
Jailer
Corporal
A Man
Servant
Gentleman of Age
Dispensero (Butler)
Soldier
Assistant
Tipsy Caballero
Courier
Man
Sergeant
Guard
Native
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, as much as I'd like to think that I could play the dashing young Don Diego, I think Sergeant Gonzales would be a better fit, and a lot of fun! If accepted, I'll work to clear the decks so I can concentrate on this.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

Could I be Lollita please? :) Also, do you need help with anything?
Adele

Post by EstherbenSimonides »

Are any of the little roles female roles?
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

Wonder if you'd allow me to be the Narrator? I live in Southern California, have been to the Mission many times, and though I'm 100% Anglo, I have heard, and can pronounce, the Spanish names pretty well, I think. But if I really sound terrible, I won't be offended if you try to replace me!

Just finishing up another project but should be able to start this one next week.

Thanks! 8-)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll assign the 3 roles that have been claimed. Thanks!
EstherbenSimonides wrote:Are any of the little roles female roles?
No, unfortunately not. This one is very male-heavy.

If I don't get males for some of the bit parts later on, I may open them to females. But for now I'd like to try for gender accuracy.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Esther - I was wrong. The Native doesn't have any pronouns associated with him/ her, so it could be a female. :)
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Tricia -

May I have Fray Felipe? I've been reading the Cadfael Chronicles lately and this character seems to be of a similar stamp.
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

A nearly all-male DR? I guess you'll need all the men you can get. :lol:

Can I try my hand at playing Don Diego/Zorro? I think my voice will be fairly age-appropriate, and it'll be fun "transforming" into Zorro.
Tomas Peter
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You're both in. Thanks, Fritz & Tomas Peter!
EstherbenSimonides

Post by EstherbenSimonides »

TriciaG wrote:Esther - I was wrong. The Native doesn't have any pronouns associated with him/ her, so it could be a female. :)
Alright, I'll do it! :)
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks, Adele and Esther!

Adele - I will want a PL for the final chapters. I'm wondering if it would be good to leave that open for someone who wasn't able to claim a role, to give them a bit of participation. What do you think?
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

Okay :) Just let me know if there's any way I can help (This book is one of my favorites!)
Adele