[COMPLETE][PLAY] The Mikado by W.S.Gilbert- annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I usually do that myself, thanks anyway.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Relaunching this project!

Thanks Todd, Pish Tush is now completely PL OK!

I'll be sending messages to all the readers who haven't submitted anything yet, and PLing the files that are already in - and recording my own sections of course!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Not sure who is still following this thread, but here it is anyway!

Esther benSimonides and Adele dePignerolles, your chorus parts are all PL OK. :thumbs:

SweetPea - I've sent a PM with the details of the one chorus part missing from the end of Act 1 (the finale entrance from "with aspect stern...") Act 2 was PL OK! :9:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm still here as editor! :thumbs:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Great! I've put you in for the finished files. I hope you know the musical a bit? The idea will be to have the different parts of the songs consecutively like "verses" rather than simultaneously - for example in the "chippy chipper chopper on a big black block" song with the three men.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Elizabby wrote: February 15th, 2018, 12:56 pm I hope you know the musical a bit?
Hah, no, not at all! I hope that's not much of a problem? I'm sure I'll figure it out, though. 8-)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

After that last post, I started wondering why exactly I didn't know anything about Mikado. I like Gilbert and Sullivan! So I just went and watched it on youtube. That was fun! I was surprised at how much of it I did know! I've been able to recite "To sit in solemn silence" for years. I used it as a theatre warm up in high school. But, something even funnier is that I knew most of the music from VeggieTales' "Sumo of the Opera." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK67JiQPxSs :lol:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Also, how would it be if I play the unattractive old hag, Katisha? :D
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

LOL! Mature lady, please!!

Actually, I suspect I'm going to have to orphan Yum-Yum, so if you hold out for a week you could have the pretty young thing... I sent a PM asking for confirmation of claim since the relaunch, but if I don't hear in a week I'll reopen the part.

Just making you aware of your options!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, I was thinking I could use a voice kind of like this: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/katisha.mp3

And of course, it's always fun to play the bad guy, and a role a little different from my usual. But after just reading that small part, my voice already hurts! So yeah, I'll leave it for someone else. I don't know if I want to take on a larger role like Yum-Yum, though. I've been picking up quite a bit here and there, so I'll leave it be until I've ticked a few more things off my list.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Male Chorus act 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/mikado_malechorus_1.mp3

My ancient laptop behaved itself for a whole half hour!
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks Alan, that is all PL OK! :thumbs:

Good on the laptop for behaving itself! If it continues to do so, we still need some voices in "Story of the Amulet" - lots of little parts over there! Ever wanted to be a grumpy cabbie who kicks out the kids? Or a sailor in Babylonian/Phoenician times? Or an expert Egyptologist? You could be any or all of them! ;)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm beginning to piece together Act 1, and I have a few notes/questions.
  • Kathrine did not include her own voice credit as narrator.
  • The Dramatis Personae at Gutenberg has a typo: "Pish-Tish" instead of Pish-Tush. Kathrine read it as Pish-Tish (because, of course). I'll leave it up to you whether you want to contact her to correct it.
  • When you say remove the description of locations after the DP, I'm thinking you mean this: "ACT I.—Courtyard of Ko-Ko's Official Residence. ACT II.— Ko-Ko's Garden" Is that correct?
  • What about this? "First produced at the Savoy Theatre on March 14, 1885." Include it or no?
That's all for now.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

One more note, on Pish-Tush, act 1.

At about 0:49, Todd says, "should henceforth be beheaded." Text reads "should forthwith be beheaded." I wouldn't bother with this if it weren't part of a chorus, but since it is, the words should be exact.
benderca

Post by benderca »

If Devorah is going to leave it, I'd be happy to take the role of the unattractive old hag, Katisha -- my voice just seeps unattractive old hag (though that little clip you provided, Devorah, was pretty impressive. I think I'll imitate it). Starting tomorrow I'll have a little more time on my hands to catch up on my LV commitments.