COMPLETE Caliban by the Yellow Sands by MacKaye-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

Caliban by the Yellow Sands by Percy MacKaye (1875 - 1956).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/caliban-by-the-yellow-sands-by-percy-mackaye/

Volunteers outside the USA: Percy MacKaye died in 1956. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is Author’s death plus 70 years and Australia (author’s death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954).
Caliban, the primitive, savage son of the witch Sycorax and the evil frog-tiger god Setebos, seeks to obtain knowledge and become civilized through a strange magician named Prospero and his young daughter, Miranda. Through fantastic visions (including many excerpts of other Shakespeare plays), poetry, song and dance, thus begins the slow, gradual education of a inquisitive brute as he faces enlightenment and wicked temptation.

Serving as a thematic companion piece and maybe spiritual prequel and midquel to William Shakespeare's The Tempest, Caliban by the Yellow Sands was a massive, elaborate and outdoor "community masque" performed from 1914-1917 in New York, St. Louis and Boston as part of the three-hundredth anniversary of Shakespeare's death. Preaching an anti-war message in response to the current events of World War I, it was a smashing success, as it was seen by over two hundred thousand spectators and utilized thousands of amateur artisans and actors to bring its giant vision to life. (Mary Kay)
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/calibanbyyellows00mackrich
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
    Genres for the project: Plays/Drama; General Fiction/Published 1900 onward; Classics (Antiquity); Poetry

Keywords that describe the book: poetry, Shakespeare, World War I, WWI, song, magic, music, allegory, pacifism, William Shakespeare, visions, civilization, anniversary, dance, community, brave new world, tribute, masque, the tempest, caliban, prospero, miranda, sycorax, civic theatre, thematic
    ============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of Percy MacKaye , by Caliban by the Yellow Sands . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    caliban_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Final Sections:
    - Preface
    - Masque Structure, Person and Presences
    - Prologue (notated as "P" in below cast list)
    - Act I ("1")
    - Act II ("2")
    - Act III ("3")
    - Epilogue ("E")
    - Appendix: Foreword and Elaborated Interludes
    This is a huuuuuuuuge cast, so I am bundling up roles in an attempt to have to utilize as few people as possible. :)
    If you choose to select one role, you MUST READ EVERY ROLE LISTED IN THE PACKAGE.

Cast List

- Narrator (P-E)

- Ariel (P-3)

- Prospero / The Shepard / Shakespeare (P-E)

- Miranda / The Figure (P-E)

- Caliban (P-E)

- Voices from Below / Power of Setebos / All / The Dirge / The Soldiers (P-3)

- Voices from Within / Spirits of Ariel / All / The Chorus (P-E)

- "Actor 1"
    P: Sycorax
    1: Cleopatra
    2: Juliet
    3: War / The Voice / Mrs. Page

- "Actor 2"
    1: Cressida / Charmian / Lust / The Emperor
    2: Perdita
    3: Mrs. Quickly
    E: The Spirit of Time

- "Actor 3"
    1: Antony / Troilus
    2: Horatio / Benvolio
    3: Adam / Falstaff / Pistol

- "Actor 4"
    1: Pandarus / Ghost of Caesar
    2: Hamlet / Mercutio / Lorenzo
    3: The Duke / Evans / King Henry

- "Actor 5"
    1: Attendant / Brutus
    2: Florizel / Marcellus / Romeo
    3: Orlando / Pistol

- "Actor 6"
    1: Eros / The Boy / Lucius
    2: Death
    3: Jacques / Mrs. Ford
    I tried to make it so each role has at least one or two exciting roles mixed in for you to perform. If possible, I'd love this to be a "flashmob" production, so we can release it within a month or two of Shakespearean 400th anniversary of the Bard's death. This play is not PD for Life+50 countries or Australia. The author died in 1956.

Most of these roles are gender neutral, but I do want Miranda, Prospero and Caliban to be gender specific. I made the "actors" fairly gender specific as well (1, 2, 6 are female, 3, 4, 5 are male), but I have no major qualms about whoever wants to take them. Ariel and the chorus voices (which will only be one person) are gender neutral.

I am looking for a DPL and any interested editors!

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Tortilla on March 20th, 2016, 9:41 am, edited 10 times in total.
Hello! Newly graduated and occasional Librivox contributor.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Mary Kay,

I can MC this for you.

MaryAnn

Edit - MW is ready for you to fill in.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

just a reminder - sadly it's not PD for the EU or Australia . People might think the title means it was written in Shakespearean England

Anne
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

MW is fully up, I changed it just to say "Shakespeare" - people can read more about the project on the thread.
catrose

Post by catrose »

Could I take Miranda please?

(MacKaye is American, so rule of Shorter Term makes it PD for me)

ETA: Sorry to be pedantic and point out a spelling mistake but "Chairman" is actually "Charmian", Cleopatra's lady-in-waiting
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

I am looking for a DPL and any interested editors!
Here is an interested editor!
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

I've added catrose as Miranda, and thank you so much Maria for volunteering as an editor. We will certainly need your help!!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Can I please claim Actor 1 (I always wanted to play War and a witch LOL)

Sonia
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

Kitty wrote:Can I please claim Actor 1 (I always wanted to play War and a witch LOL)

Sonia
You're added, thank you! :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Just wanted to mention, in the third Act, War is once presented as "The Figure", but it's clearly War speaking. I will read that line. I just mention it, because in the MW you wrote that Miranda should be doing "The Figure" but in this case it's definitely not Miranda.

Sonia
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

Kitty wrote:Just wanted to mention, in the third Act, War is once presented as "The Figure", but it's clearly War speaking. I will read that line. I just mention it, because in the MW you wrote that Miranda should be doing "The Figure" but in this case it's definitely not Miranda.

Sonia
In the prologue, she is referred to as the figure. I will make note of that, though.
BlueFunk

Post by BlueFunk »

May I read Sir John Falstaff please?

8-)
K. Adrian Stroet

“What ho!" I said.
"What ho!" said Motty.
"What ho! What ho!"
"What ho! What ho! What ho!"
After that it seemed rather difficult to go on with the conversation.”
P.G. Wodehouse My Man Jeeves
Tortilla

Post by Tortilla »

BlueFunk wrote:May I read Sir John Falstaff please?

8-)
If you want to take the role with John Falstaff, you must read every role listed in the "Actor 3" part. Is that okay with you?
BlueFunk

Post by BlueFunk »

No. I'll leave it for someone else this time.

Many thanks.

8-)
K. Adrian Stroet

“What ho!" I said.
"What ho!" said Motty.
"What ho! What ho!"
"What ho! What ho! What ho!"
After that it seemed rather difficult to go on with the conversation.”
P.G. Wodehouse My Man Jeeves
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Here's my first contribution. The witch Sycorax. I reflected her hideousness in her scratchy voice. Hopefully I made her suitably scary and disgusting. Now I need to pad my vocal chords in chamomile leaves :help: It was fun, but I think it wasn't too good for my voice ... Let's put it this way: I was glad that she died quite quickly. :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/caliban_sycorax_p.mp3
Recording time: 2:08 min.

Luckily my next ones (Cleopatra and Juliet) will be easier...now a bit of a rest.

Please tell me if this scratchy voice is hard to understand. Not that my vocal chords want to, but in that case I would redo some lines.

Sonia