COMPLETE The Broken Heart by John Ford - maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Kristin, and this is another voice to the mix. Let's hope it's the last time I have to bother you all ;)

PL ok, adding it to MW...

Sonia
StuartP

Post by StuartP »

Uploaded Act IV for Ithocles, including that one ALL line around 6:43:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/brokenheart_ithocles_4.mp3 (10:13)

As a note, it still suffers occasionally from the same tonal inconsistency of my Act III recording. Everything was recorded in the same room, using the same hardware, but I'm still learning how to maintain a consistent distance to the mic and how to change it up when the text calls for a low whisper vs angry screaming. I think it also didn't help that my recording was originally done with a low gain, which makes even minor variations in my volume and positioning compound when processed through Audacity's ReplayGain and Noise Reduction functions. :oops:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wow Stuart, powerful stuff here. Ithocles was still laughing when he knew about his death sentence :shock: talk about :shock: Grecian heroic tragedy here. He is really defiant till the last. Excellent ending scene.

Yes you are right, the tone is sometimes off, I noticed it was mainly when you were talking very loudly. I suppose you had to tune it down there so as not to make clipping occur. The screaming part is something I had to learn too, I now manage to convey "angry screaming" in my tone of voice, without actually screaming (in high decibels) into my microphone. Something you might want to fiddle with, for future stage plays. ;)

I'm sure Chuck can bring the volume to an acceptable level here, it's a good base file he can be working with. :thumbs:

Act 4 is PL ok.

And that means all the parts are in. We did not hear back from them all for the missing line, but I think we have enough to create a crowd.

Thanks for this enjoyable performance :)

Sonia
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Chuck and Kitty,

Excellent work on this! You've got me thinking about cataloging!

Looks like the summary is marked "temporary". Would one of you like to write one? (or maybe simply remove the word temporary for the existing one?)

Will you have time to prepare the cast list as well?

MaryAnn
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Excellent line readings, Stuart! I'm no audiophile, so I can't really comment on the sound quality... but the performance is obviously quite powerful. I can't wait to hear that scene between you and Tomas. I hope you'll consider volunteering for other dramatic projects. :-)

I'll try to finish editing Act IV tonight. Not sure if I'll upload the file before Sonia goes to bed, buuuut... with any luck, we should get this into the catalogue by tomorrow!

...and then I'll probably launch another dramatic project and ruin whatever sense of victory or completion we attained. :-P
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Get those confetti cannons out, because we're officially finished with this project (pending Sonia's approval, of course). Here's Act IV of The Broken Heart!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/brokenheart_4_ford_128kb.mp3 [42:47]
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Yeah!

Just a reminder:
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Looks like the summary is marked "temporary". Would one of you like to write one? (or maybe simply remove the word temporary for the existing one?)

Will you have time to prepare the cast list as well?

MaryAnn
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

I also made some slight tweaks to Charlotte's original plot summary:

The Broken Heart stands next to ‘Tis Pity She's a Whore as Ford's most popular drama. All is not right in Sparta because of, as is typical in this era of tragedies, the issue of marriage. In brief, Panther wishes to to marry Orgilus, but her brother Ithocles gets involved and bans them from doing so, making both couples distraught. He forces her to marry Bassanes, an abusive brute who happens to be more wealthy than Orgilus. Ithocles then realises what he's done wrong and tries to get his friend Prophilus to marry Orgilus's sister Euphrania. Ithocles himself wants to marry the princess of Sparta, Calantha, who chooses him over her current betrothed, her cousin Nearchus. Thus begins a shocking cycle of revenge and recrimination... with predictably grisly consequences. (Charlotte Puckett, with minor edits)

EDIT: Oh, and Sonia... I edited Act III a while ago, but forgot to mention it here. Feel free to check that one too, when you wake up. :-)
PROJECTS
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Chuck. I've copied that back to the catalog record.
MaryAnn
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote:In brief, Panther wishes to to marry Orgilus
small correction here: the poor woman is called Penthea...had she been a Panther, she probably would have fought her brother a bit more :mrgreen:
EDIT: Oh, and Sonia... I edited Act III a while ago, but forgot to mention it here. Feel free to check that one too, when you wake up. :-)
ah yes, thank you, I'll check both during the day, so we can finish this :)

edit: I was unable to download Act 3 :shock: could you re-upload your final version please ?

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

finished listening to Act 4. Really powerful ending there. Tomas and Stuart make the killing scene quite dramatic :thumbs:

I have only 3 notes to make:

> at 3:00: missing part:
Follow, spaniel;
I ’ll force ye to a fawning else.
> from 3:00-4:02: this entire part of Ithocles is repeated later on and can be cut out here
ITHOCLES. Look ye, uncle,
Some such there are whose liberal contents
[…]
I saw it, sir, I saw it; for it came
From her own hand.
> at 18:20: PENTHEA. I lov’d you once. [To Orgilus.] – as a suggestion, I think it would be better to put “To Orgilus” before what she actually speaks, but then you also have to record “Penthea” once more

we're sooo close now. :9:

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Hahahaha! "Panther!" :lol: Thanks a lot, autocorrect!

Act IV has been fixed and the somewhat mangled URL for Act III has been fixed. Give 'em a listen, when you get a chance. We should be good now. :-)

And I agree... that last scene between Tomas and Stuart is a show-stopper. Really great stuff. :thumbs:
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote:Hahahaha! "Panther!" :lol: Thanks a lot, autocorrect!
ah so that was it ;) I hate it when computers think, especially when they think wrong LOL
Act IV has been fixed and the somewhat mangled URL for Act III has been fixed. Give 'em a listen, when you get a chance. We should be good now. :-)
Act 3 is now PL ok

but (sorry :? ) in Act 4 there is still one error:

> at 17:22: you say "Philema" but actually it should have been "Penthea" (I said Penthea in my note, I checked :wink: )

Other than that, all good...come one, we can finish this today :mrgreen:

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Haha. I must have gotten so excited about the prospect of finishing this that I accidentally copy-pasted the wrong name from my narration track. :-P

Anyway, just fixed and re-uploaded Act IV. Fingers crossed I got it right this time.
PROJECTS