COMPLETE The Broken Heart by John Ford - maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
catrose

Post by catrose »

The Broken Heart by John Ford (1586 - 1639).

BC and Editor on this project is ChuckW.

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here: https://librivox.org/the-broken-heart-by-john-ford/
** The super exciting "Please Give Me Your Voice" summary! (will be replaced before cataloging) **

Next to ‘Tis Pity She's a Whore’, this is seen as Ford's most popular drama. It is also my favourite play of all time! All is not right in Sparta and, as this era of tragedy's go, the issue is MARRIAGE. In brief - Penthea wants to marry Orgilus, but her brother Ithocles get's involved and bans it, making both couples really sad. He then makes her marry Bassanes, who's an abusive brute, but more wealthy than Orgilus! Ithocles then realises what he's done wrong and tries to get his friend Prophilus to marry Orgilus's sister Euphrania. Still following? Ithocles himself wants to marry the princess of Sparta, Calantha, who chooses him over her current betrothed, her cousin Nearchus. Everyone is sad (I'm avoiding spoilers) and get's revenge on eachother in a range of fun and gory ways, as only a tragedy can portray. As always, hearts get broken, a couple of murders. The usual here at Librivox!! So come on, give it a go. You know you want to :wink: ( Charlotte Duckett (temporary))
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/f/ford/john/broken/complete.html
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    Genres for the project: Plays/Drama/Tragedy
    Keywords that describe the book: will send before cataloguing
    ============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of John Ford , by The Broken Heart . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    brokenheart_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.
  9. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  10. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by catrose on April 16th, 2016, 1:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
catrose

Post by catrose »

DPL needed - DPL would need to go along with the words to make sure lines are all there, but I do not require word perfect

Casting - gender and age neutral :)

MCs - I know I am probably a bit of a risk given my past activity here. But I am back and back for good and this play is my heart. So, uh, take a chance on me and my little play :wink:

Editors - I am currently planning to edit this myself :shock: (considering my past aversion to editing, I know!) but it's the only way to really get inside a production, as I found out in my Phantom. However, if there is anyone out there with editing experience who *particularly* would like to edit this, I will not say no to help!
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

There is a more easily readable text here

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/f/ford/john/broken/complete.html

Welcome back
Last edited by alanmapstone on February 7th, 2016, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
catrose

Post by catrose »

You rock Alan! Thank you :) Can I tempt you with a role?
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Cat,
I'd be happy to MC this for you. Back in a bit with your MW.
MaryAnn
catrose

Post by catrose »

Thank you so much, MaryAnn!! :D

The Characters of this play are as follows:

Amyclas, King of Laconis (AM-uh-clas)

Ithocles, a Favourite (ITH-uh-clees)

Orgilus, Son of Crotolon (OR-jill-us)

Bassanes, a jealous Nobleman (BASS-anne-ees)

Armostes, a Counsellor of the State (ah-MOST-ees)

Crotolon, another Counsellor (crow-toe-LON)

Prophilus, Friend of Ithocles (PRO-phil-us)

Nearchus, Prince of Argos (NEAR-cuss)

Tecnicus, a Philosopher (TECH-nih-cuss)

Hemophil, a Courtier (HEE-moe-phil)

Groneas, a Courtier (GROAN-ee-us)

Amelus, friend of Nearchus (AH-mell-us)

Phulas, Servant to Bassanes (FOOL-us)

Calantha, Daughter of Amyclas (cah-LAN-thuh)

Penthea, Sister of Ithocles and Wife of Bassanes (PEN-thee-uh)

Euphranea, Daughter of Crotolon, a Maid of honour (YOUff-ran-ee-uh)

Christalla, a Maid of honour (CHRIS-tall-uh)

Philema, a Maid of honour (phil-EE-muh)

Grausis, Overseer of Penthea (gr-OW(as in you’re hurt)-siss)

(From Calantha down are female, but as I stated in my second post - I am pro-cross gender/age/species casting :wink: )
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Cat,

We now have click and drag MWs, and many DW BCs have been using one section for each act for each character. When a character's file is in and PL OK, it's drug to the bottom of the MW below the space for the appropriate "act". That way it's easy to see what is unclaimed and unfinished - because they all end up at the top of the MW.

I've set you up with 25 sections, but you can add more if you would like to use this approach.

MaryAnn
catrose

Post by catrose »

Thanks Maryann :) I think I will stick to my usual approach for the time being - I'm a bit of a traditionalist :lol:

Can I tempt you with a role?

ETA Well, I was wrong. The new way wins. Thank you MaryAnn :9:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

catrose

Post by catrose »

Penthea act 2 and 3 are up and ready to PL once we have a PL :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Just two comments, as a Greek speaker:

1) Amyclas would usually be pronounced "AH-mi-clas" with an unstressed "ee" in the middle, like the word "mint" or "admin". In Greek we have five different vowels which sound like i/e - far too many for any sane language! :roll: But this one is the upsilon, so the sound is "i".

2) You don't have a pronunciation guide for Orgilus? I would suggest "OR-gill-us" like fish "gills" in the middle.

I won't claim anything just now, but I'll check back for what is needed around the end of Feb. :thumbs: See you then!

Candy.

PS - Nearchus should be three syllables "Knee-ARK-us" it looks like one syllable in the MW?
catrose

Post by catrose »

Candybatch wrote:Just two comments, as a Greek speaker:

1) Amyclas would usually be pronounced "AH-mi-clas" with an unstressed "ee" in the middle, like the word "mint" or "admin". In Greek we have five different vowels which sound like i/e - far too many for any sane language! :roll: But this one is the upsilon, so the sound is "i".

2) You don't have a pronunciation guide for Orgilus? I would suggest "OR-gill-us" like fish "gills" in the middle.

I won't claim anything just now, but I'll check back for what is needed around the end of Feb. :thumbs: See you then!

Candy.

PS - Nearchus should be three syllables "Knee-ARK-us" it looksp like one syllable in the MW?
Thank you so much! I had no idea. I will update the MW with these pronunciations first thing in the morning. You rock!!
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

catrose

Post by catrose »

Thanks Beth, I have now updated the pronunciation in the MW :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Hi, I would like to take a part of you hands, but I'm not familiar with the play, so how about some suggestions? I'd love to do someone vindictive, who gets some revenge:P
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
catrose

Post by catrose »

Any preference for male or female/size?

Because the *best* at getting revenge is Orgilus who, not giving anything away, gets some pretty nice and bloody revenge! Ithocles is also a nice fun horrible character, but doesn't take revenge. If you don't want male, Grausis is nice and bi*chy and moans a lot, Philema and Christalla are quite silly, Euphranea is the ingenue and Calantha is very much royalty!!
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

catrose wrote:Any preference for male or female/size?

Because the *best* at getting revenge is Orgilus who, not giving anything away, gets some pretty nice and bloody revenge! Ithocles is also a nice fun horrible character, but doesn't take revenge. If you don't want male, Grausis is nice and bi*chy and moans a lot, Philema and Christalla are quite silly, Euphranea is the ingenue and Calantha is very much royalty!!
I was actually thinking about taking Origlus so I wouldn't mind him. Otherwise Euphranea sounds fun. I have no preference when it comes to sex or size (:P), so whichever one you think would suit me best:)
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!