Play Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
wib66

Post by wib66 » July 20th, 2020, 9:35 am

Scarbo wrote:
July 10th, 2020, 4:55 pm
It looks like the two D.H. Lawrence plays on Project Gutenberg haven't been recorded yet:

The Widowing of Mrs. Holroyd: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/55877/55877-h/55877-h.htm

Touch and Go: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/4216/4216-h/4216-h.htm
(Interestingly, certain situations and even character names seem to be recycled from Women in Love here.)

Anyone interested? I'm afraid I'm still too new around here to participate in ways other than being a reader.
I would like to set these up to run if you would like to learn the ropes you could help out with PL ing and some editing if you wish no pressure if you just want to read a part thats okay.
Michele

Glad to be back.
It's much better to do good in a way that no one knows anything about it. From Anna Karenina

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 22nd, 2020, 1:01 pm

I'd like to suggest/request a Version 2 of The Admirable Crichton.

I don't want sympathy or encouragement or contradiction, but the reviews of the current version over at Archive say I did a horrible job at narrating the opening scene. I don't want this to make people turn off and not experience this fun play!

I'll even take on a minor role; just not the narrator.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3490
Lord Loam, a British peer, considers class divisions to be artificial. He promotes his views during tea-parties where servants mingle with his aristocratic guests, to the embarrassment of all. Crichton, his butler, particularly disapproves of this.

Loam, his family, a maid, and Crichton are shipwrecked on a deserted tropical island. The resourceful Crichton is the only one of the party with any practical knowledge. Eventually, social roles are reversed, and Crichton becomes the governor.
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles

alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone » July 22nd, 2020, 1:24 pm

TriciaG wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 1:01 pm
I'd like to suggest/request a Version 2 of The Admirable Crichton.
I don't want sympathy or encouragement or contradiction, but the reviews of the current version over at Archive say I did a horrible job at narrating the opening scene. I don't want this to make people turn off and not experience this fun play!
You should not be bothered by one bad review. Your narration is fine. It is clear and understandable. If someone does not like your accent that is their problem. :thumbs:
alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 22nd, 2020, 1:31 pm

Two out of four reviews, plus one one-star without comment. :lol: But I don't want a bunch of posts about me. ;)

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » July 22nd, 2020, 2:58 pm

TriciaG wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 1:31 pm
Two out of four reviews, plus one one-star without comment. :lol: But I don't want a bunch of posts about me. ;)
Take a leaf out of my book, Tricia. It’s best to always leave your listeners too dazed to comment. :wink:

Cheers,
Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."

benderca

Post by benderca » July 22nd, 2020, 4:09 pm

TriciaG wrote:
Ha! I didn't even know that Archive.org had a review section. (I don't think I want to know what the reviews are saying).

But now The Admirable Crichton has 5 reviews... I'm not saying I know the reviewer personally, but... :lol:

btw, I listened to the play and I stand by my review. :clap:

Salvationist

Post by Salvationist » July 22nd, 2020, 6:20 pm

I have never BC'd a play before, but I'd like to. I figure it would be best to start off slow and BC a short play. I've found what must be one of the shortest plays ever written: "England's Easter" by George Logan. The entire text of the play was published on a single page of a Salvation Army newspaper called "The Darkest England Gazette" in 1894. The text can be found at one of the links on the following page of the International Heritage Centre website: https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/index.php/about-us/international-heritage-centre/international-heritage-centre-resources/digital-collections/darkest-england-gazette

Does this source count as a valid one for a LibriVox project? If so, I'd like to BC it. There would be four parts required: Jesus, Martha, Mary, and the narrator/stage directions. Even though the play is very short, it is split into two scenes. Ideally, I'd like to make this a standalone LibriVox project, but I'd be willing to have it included as part of a larger project (like a one-act play collection) if there's a rule against projects under a certain length. I would certainly be grateful for advice or help with getting this play recorded! :D
Salvationist

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 24th, 2020, 7:00 am

Salvationist wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 6:20 pm
I have never BC'd a play before, but I'd like to. I figure it would be best to start off slow and BC a short play. I've found what must be one of the shortest plays ever written: "England's Easter" by George Logan. The entire text of the play was published on a single page of a Salvation Army newspaper called "The Darkest England Gazette" in 1894. The text can be found at one of the links on the following page of the International Heritage Centre website: https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/index.php/about-us/international-heritage-centre/international-heritage-centre-resources/digital-collections/darkest-england-gazette

Does this source count as a valid one for a LibriVox project? If so, I'd like to BC it. There would be four parts required: Jesus, Martha, Mary, and the narrator/stage directions. Even though the play is very short, it is split into two scenes. Ideally, I'd like to make this a standalone LibriVox project, but I'd be willing to have it included as part of a larger project (like a one-act play collection) if there's a rule against projects under a certain length. I would certainly be grateful for advice or help with getting this play recorded! :D
well this gazette looks mighty interesting even to do as a whole project. We have many projects running which do all the magazines in the order they appear, and I see this one even has the first issue. I guess the source is PD as they include the original scan. Not sure they have them all though, or do they only have the few they show on this page ? :hmm:

I haven't checked out the play yet, didn't really find the link to the correct magazine, but if it's only one page, I think the best indeed would be to include it as a one-act-play. The next project will launch soon so you can get on board there. It also helps you to ease into the process, since the MW is filled out for you.

Good luck !

Sonia

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 24th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Hi,

I just came across these posts and did a little investigating. Sonia, I completely agree with you that these seem like they would make great 'entire issue' projects. According to the website, the Salvation Army is in the process of digitizing all the issues they have of this publication. I would certainly volunteer to read some of this item. The newsletter really gives great insight into the social situations of many of those in England in the late 19th Century.

Wayne
Wayne
Food may be the best fuel for the machine, but where life's wheels grate dry, happiness is a good oil. -J. Arthur Thomson

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 24th, 2020, 12:09 pm

TriciaG wrote:
Hi there,

I also didn't know LV had a 'review' section. How do you find it? Also, I read Mark F. Smith note on how many downloads he had of his recordings. (I have often wondered about that.) How do you find out that info? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
Food may be the best fuel for the machine, but where life's wheels grate dry, happiness is a good oil. -J. Arthur Thomson

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 24th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Kalamareader wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 12:09 pm
TriciaG wrote:
Hi there,

I also didn't know LV had a 'review' section. How do you find it? Also, I read Mark F. Smith note on how many downloads he had of his recordings. (I have often wondered about that.) How do you find out that info? Any help would be appreciated.
There's not a review section, really. Each project has its own page at Archive.org (click the link in the left column on the catalog page). Reviews can be added there.

To see most recent reviews, go here: https://archive.org/details/librivoxaudio?sort=-reviewdate

On the Archive pages are also a number for "views". However, depending on where the cover art is located, this number can be artificially inflated due to a "view" being counted when the cover art is pulled up.

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 24th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Thanks a lot. Just what I wanted to know. :clap:

Wayne
Wayne

Salvationist

Post by Salvationist » July 24th, 2020, 7:20 pm

Kitty wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 7:00 am
well this gazette looks mighty interesting even to do as a whole project. We have many projects running which do all the magazines in the order they appear, and I see this one even has the first issue. I guess the source is PD as they include the original scan. Not sure they have them all though, or do they only have the few they show on this page ? :hmm:

I haven't checked out the play yet, didn't really find the link to the correct magazine, but if it's only one page, I think the best indeed would be to include it as a one-act-play. The next project will launch soon so you can get on board there. It also helps you to ease into the process, since the MW is filled out for you.

Good luck !

Sonia
Thank you for the advice, Sonia! It would certainly be great to see some entire issues recorded. For this particular issue, I think the only thing they've digitized is the play. I'll be sure to nominate it when the next one-act play project launches.

I'm glad to hear that you're interested in these as well, Wayne! Perhaps you'd be willing to voice one of the roles in the play when it launches? :wink:
Salvationist

alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone » July 24th, 2020, 9:53 pm

Kalamareader wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 2:13 pm
Thanks a lot. Just what I wanted to know. :clap:
Wayne
The Librivox App also has a review facility (the same reviews as archive I think!) :hmm:
I find the App better for listening to catalogued recordings as it "keeps your place" in the recording which the website doesn't.
alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 25th, 2020, 12:08 am

Salvationist wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 7:20 pm
Kitty wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 7:00 am

Good luck !

Sonia
Thank you for the advice, Sonia! It would certainly be great to see some entire issues recorded. For this particular issue, I think the only thing they've digitized is the play. I'll be sure to nominate it when the next one-act play project launches.

I'm glad to hear that you're interested in these as well, Wayne! Perhaps you'd be willing to voice one of the roles in the play when it launches? :wink:
Absolutely!

Just let me know when. I will try to keep track, but we all know that that doesn’t always work (at least for me :lol:).

Wayne
Wayne