Play Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
dvimont

Post by dvimont »

dvimont wrote:
dvimont wrote:
chocoholic wrote:Dan, what text source did you use for the lyrics?
I consulted a number of sources. (I got into that habit when doing the research for my recording of "On the Nature of Things".) Is there any particular Shakespeare source you'd prefer me to go with? (It's very easy to make amendments to the scores and repost to the Internet Archive. No problem to make a "corpse" into a "corse", or vice versa.)
Thanks,
Dan
Since I'm not entirely sure of the provenance of some of the versions of the Shakespeare lyrics I've used, I looked for an expeditious way to deal with the question. I found this useful book, published in 1884 and freely available on Google Play, which provides "one stop shopping" for all of Shakespeare's lyrics:
ALL THE SONGS AND PASSAGES IN SHAKSPERE
Over the next few days, I can make sure that the lyrics in my scores match up with those in this book (apart from my own modernization of the spellings, and possible repetition of phrases in musically appropriate ways). Will that be workable?
THANKS!
Dan
Okay, I can now confirm that all of the lyrics in my scores match those in ALL THE SONGS & PASSAGES IN SHAKSPERE (except for my own modernizations of the spellings and occasional repetition of phrases to make a song "work"). I added the following to the explanatory text on the Internet Archive page that houses the scores:

The source for all text/lyrics used in the following songs is ALL THE SONGS & PASSAGES IN SHAKSPERE (1884), available from Google Books.

THANKS!

Dan
ON THE NATURE OF THINGS is complete.:)
---
CommonVox.org presents: LibriVox EXPLORER: A new web-based version of LibriVox Explorer is now available in BETA: Check it out here.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks, Dan, that's very helpful! People using your songs in a Librivox play should use the wording that's in the text source for the project, but if they do use the lyrics in your scores, at least we'll know they're in the public domain. (Probably the wording would be very similar anyway.)

The admin team hasn't made any official decision about this (we don't make many "official" decisions), but going by the discussion so far, these should be fine to use in LV Shakespeare plays.

Your "Budding Songwriters Karaoke Podcast" from the other thread made me laugh. :lol:
Laurie Anne
minnow

Post by minnow »

I suggest the play HOBSON'S CHOICE(1915) by Harold Brighouse,his most famous work.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I don't have time to read it right now, but here's the PG link to it: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6347
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

I saw that the theatre recently. It is an excellent play, and it's amazing how modern and Up-To-Date it feels considering how long ago it was written. It really sounds and feels rather like an 80's play which is set in the past, rather than a 10's play set contemporaneously.
So little space, so much to say.
smallo

Post by smallo »

Elizabby wrote:This suggestion popped up in the main "Book suggestions" forum, but I think it would go well here too! This is a play that pre shadows Milton's "Paradise Lost" and probably influenced Milton. It is about Lucifer's rebellion in heaven and consists almost entirely of a cast of angels! Michael, Gabriel, Lucifer, Beelzebub, etc (before the Fall, obviously). Adam and Eve appear in the very last stanza.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/37659/37659-h/37659-h.htm

I think just doing the play would be the go, rather than all the prologue, commentary, life of the author, etc. It will probably require some script-making, as there are several rather confusing dialogue sections, and especially if the "Angels" and "Luciferians" who make up the chorus are to be divided into more than one part.

I will probably take this on after I get back from Greece (i.e. November) unless someone wants to do it sooner.
I posted original thread in "Book suggestions". Any updates on above?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Oh, sorry, I had thought about doing this but I'm no longer in a position to do so.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

For the one act play collection, I would like to suggest The Vampire Cat by Gerard Van Etten, summary: "According to the old Japanese legend, the soul
of a cat can enter a human being".
There are six parts. The setting is in a palace in Medieval Japan.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40120
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have found a number of plays by Alexandre Dumas. Let's hope they are shorter than some of his novel trilogies!

I'll start offering them (in addition to more of the Farquhar and Moliere plays) shortly.

Thanks, Todd
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

this might be interesting for people who like both poetry and drama
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27336
Three Women by Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Snowbound for Christmas by Edna I. MacKenzie
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53654
Carolin
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

Greetings!

Over in short works we are trying to wind up The Columbian Orator. (Link in my signature.) Of the remaining sections, 9 are dialogues or dramas. These are sections 11,31,34,44,47,52,67,77,80.

Perhaps there are folks here who would like to check this out. :D

Peace be with you,
Sister
carteki

Post by carteki »

Looks like we've only done Alice in Wonderland from here. Still to do Through the Looking Glass.

Kim
Last edited by carteki on December 26th, 2016, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
carteki

Post by carteki »

:) You beat me to it! Still Through the Looking Glass to do.

Carolin wrote:this might be interesting for people who like both poetry and drama
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27336
Three Women by Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Glad you posted this here. I worked on it on PGDP and thought it sounded interesting.

Kim