Play Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The Busie Body by Susanna Centlivre (1667-1723)
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16740

I haven't read much in this yet, but it sounds like fun. Described as a "laughing comedy," the story seems to center around one Marplot, who generally ruins whatever he undertakes. Sounds kind of like The Blunderer. Four female roles and six male.

Susanna Centlivre wrote nineteen plays, and we appear not to have any of them. I think she'd be an excellent addition to our catalogue. A female playwright in her day, I believe, was a very rare thing.

EDIT:
Works of Susanna Centlivre, vol I
https://archive.org/details/workscelebrated01centgoog
Volume II
https://archive.org/details/worksofcelebrate02centuoft
Volume III
https://archive.org/details/workscelebrated00centgoog
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Interesting. And it says she actually stole the plot from The Blunderers and from The Devil is an Ass!

I might give it a go when I get more current plays cataloged if no one else wants to....

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm going to take a look at some of her other plays when I get a chance. There's one with quite an intriguing title that I'd like to look at: "The Wonder: A Woman Keeps a Secret."
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I came across a reference to a Mark Twain play a little while ago, and of course had to check whether we have done it here. It's called Meisterschaft, and we don't have it yet! So I started reading through, and quickly realized why it is that we don't have it. Half of the thing's in German! :shock: It does look really fun, but also, I don't know if we have enough German/English talent to undertake it. Many of the characters use both languages, although a few use the German rather poorly, because they're being forced to learn it. What do you guys think? Would this be something we could attempt? :?:

https://archive.org/details/cu31924022053593
(Begins on page 161.)
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Hi all

I'm just returning to LV after a long absence. I'm interested in doing (BC/edit) Punch and Judy, that is to say, the Collier & Cruickshank script of 1832, which is the closest thing to a definitive version there is (AFAIK):
http://www.spyrock.com/nadafarm/html/punch_pdf.html. There's no version on LV that I can see.

There are a couple of potential issues with this. The most significant is probably the nature of the material. Whilst P&J is a core element of British culture, and also strongly related to Italian early theatre, it is highly non-PC by today's standards, containing among other things violence to women and babies and gratuitous murder.

Does LV have policies that would prevent us doing this, or is it just a case of individual readers making their own decisions on whether to take part?

A secondary issue (for me) is that Mr Punch (in particular) has a highly characteristic voice, so I'd want to be able to place some requirements on the person taking that part. Not sure if that is permitted.

Thanks, Chris.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Welcome back! I'm always happy to see more plays being offered! With regards to your questions, I'm not admin so can only offer general participant opinions, which are what I generally see done around here:

1) Content has never stopped anything being offered, but it might be worth putting a content note in the reader summary so that people are aware of what they are getting into.

2) If you have a very particular interpretation of a character in mind it might be easiest if you claimed that character yourself. It is very difficult to direct a reader to perform in a particular way, and apart from specifying a male voice I don't believe further restrictions or auditions are allowed.

Do you plan to edit the play yourself? If not, that's the other part you need to sort out before you can launch.
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

That sounds promising - though I'll wait to see what an admin has to say before getting too excited..

I was afraid you'd say that about the character. I fear reading the main character would be too much on top of BC and editing (yes I was planning to do this - I have done some in the past). And just because I know what he should sound like doesn't mean I can pull it off myself...

Cheers, Chris.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

ccfpcl wrote: September 19th, 2018, 1:14 pm Thanks :D

That sounds promising - though I'll wait to see what an admin has to say before getting too excited..

I was afraid you'd say that about the character. I fear reading the main character would be too much on top of BC and editing (yes I was planning to do this - I have done some in the past). And just because I know what he should sound like doesn't mean I can pull it off myself...

Cheers, Chris.
Please let me know when you decide to launch this. I want to be involved. :-)
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Will do Chuck. Thanks!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

It would be hard to get a good Mr. Punch. You're right, his voice is very specific. I almost think I could do it, but then I don't think I've ever tried. It would be a hoot if you're able to get everything going, though!
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Thanks Felix.

I'm going to wait for an 'official' (admin) response on the subject matter before I get too excited.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm not sure what official admin policy you want but here goes
use of the material - if it's PD you can use it - it's not on a "trusted site" list but they do say it's a facsimile so we would probably agree. Personally I would make it very clear in the summary that it wasn't aimed at children, Punch and Judy shows are clearly not real, real voices without the visuals may seem quite different to a child?

Re auditioning - no, it's not allowed. I'm sure I read somewhere some time that most Punches did, in fact, have modified voices, so maybe you could do that for something like this. Of course, the voice probably evolved with time. I notice in a couple of places he was using Italian/ English.

Anne
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Thank you Anne.

I'm looking into the PD question - there are various versions of the original M/S out there.

I'd quite forgotten about voice modification. I fear asking a Librivoxer to use a 'swazzle' (with associated danger of choking) might be beyond my/our remit, but I'll certainly think on it.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I was thinking more about using some sort of effect carefully so it was still understandable but not real. Real people throwing babies out windows and banging each other with sticks may not be funny - and this, as I said, was personal opinion. I might be easier on our readers' vocal chords also

Anne
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Ah I see. Certainly would be a safer option! But again, something I would need permission for I guess - but from whom?