Plays and other dramatic works
DeRamos

Post by DeRamos »

We do have until the year 31920, when all of it becomes set in the past. :wink:
Ryan DeRamos
LibriVox Instagram Blog
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

DeRamos wrote:We do have until the year 31920, when all of it becomes set in the past. :wink:
Only students of Late Ancient English will understand it by then. ;) I imagine LibriVox will be used by some to brush up on their ancient English language skills.
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
captaindestroyo

Post by captaindestroyo »

Tragedies of Euripides

It doesn't look like Librivox currently has anything by Euripides, and I'd love to see some of the tragedies recorded, especially Medea.

BTW I'm new. :)
aravis

Post by aravis »

Welcome to LibriVox, captaindestroyo! Have fun here! :D

Here is the Euripides on Project Gutenberg:
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/e#a1680

and here is Medea:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15081
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
om123

Post by om123 »

[DRAMA] The Post Office, by Rabindranath Tagore

Can Librivox do drama version of this short 2 act play by Rabindranath Tagore, translated to English by Devabrata Mukherjee.

Gutenberg link is here:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/6523

This one of the finest dramas by Tagore and deals with the fundamental question of death. Thia drama "describes how a child—striving to escape his stuffy confines—ultimately "fall[s] asleep" ".

A very humane tale.

Originally published in Bengali in 1912 and the English translation in 1914.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

An online etext can be found at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/6523 -
I know nothing about the translater. Will try to make a little research tomorrow morning.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Well, as I said, it is possible that those countries who apply the Rule of the Shorter Term (i.e. most of Europe, but not Germany, for instance) would be able to record something by an Indian author, which is in the Public Domain in India. However, my reservation was that Tagore was a Bengali, not an Indian, and I do not have the expertise to know what the legal situation is. That is why I cannot say that it is definitely OK for European readers to record. However, it is fine for US residents.

EDIT: I don't know where you are in the world, om123. :)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
om123

Post by om123 »

Bengalis are people who speak bengali language and are spread in Eastern Parts of India and the whole Bangladesh. Tagore mainly wrote in Bengali language and so he is equally loved by Bengalis of India and Bangaldesh. He wrote the national anthems of both Bangaldesh and India.

In Tagore's life time, India was a big country that included present Bangaldesh and Pakistan. The separation came in 1947, after Independence.

Tagore was born and died in West-Bengal (a state in present India).

So, do you think this project can go ahead?

BTW, I am from India, but not a bengali.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

That's fine! It would be in the Public Domain for you, and it is in the Public Domain where our files are stored, so go right ahead! Just add a little warning for people in Europe, that it MAY not be OK for them to participate. :)

Ruth
om123

Post by om123 »

OOOH!!
I just hope I'm ready enough to start a new project. I am going through the guidelines now..Will come back soon..

And thank you,
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

[DRAMA]Le Triomphe de l'amour, Marivaux(English Translation)

The play Le Triomphe de l'amour by Marivaux is brilliant and a lot of fun. It was popularised in its English translation "The Triumph of Love" by a 2001 film starring Ben Kingsley and a musical version around 1997.

I have a copy of the play as translated for performance (a full script), but I think it is a Samuel French edition and therefore possibly under copyright.

Anyone know of a translation that is public domain and that we could do or what would be involved in translating the original French to English (and if that would be a loophole for copyright)?

It's SUCH a great play.
Susanna

Post by Susanna »

I love The Triumph of Love! Hope it will work out-- I could get that edition. Dibs on Corine!

-Susanna
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

Haha, only if I get Leonide, Susanna! :lol:
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Only if you can find a Public Domain translation. :lol: I have looked in the usual places and haven't found it yet. I am a little disheartened by seeing it described as "largely ignored until lately" when Googling.

Ruth
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

RuthieG wrote:Only if you can find a Public Domain translation. :lol: I have looked in the usual places and haven't found it yet. I am a little disheartened by seeing it described as "largely ignored until lately" when Googling.

Ruth
Ruth, what if we translated the French version that is in the public domain? Does that suffice, if we can't find any in English (which there MUST be, somewhere!)?