Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Linny. Locked and Stickied.

MaryAnn
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hello. I can help with PLing the finished sections. For the time being I'm only willing to commit myself to the already-finished ones. I'm not commiting myself to the whole project yet. Is that OK?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

That would be fine. I'll give you access to the MW so you can update status as needed.

MaryAnn
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Reporting back on the chapter 1 8-)
10:39 Narrator's line TEXT "a dressing-table with a looking-glass fixed on it between the windows" Audio: TWO windows (EDIT: Rather obvious from the context, I guess. Things can only be "between" 2 objects, no? :hmm: )
11:37 Alyona's line TEXT "The month was up the day before yesterday." AUDIO: "YESTERDAY" is missing.

Also, how detailed do you want me to be? E.g There were two places in the Alyona's quickly-spoken lines that were unclear to me, but might be obvious for a native (EDIT: Now, that I've listened to it 2 more times it's clearer.). Should I report that too? Also, as I read the initial post about the consistency wth names: it's supposed to be Alyona, but Raskolnikov says something that to my Slavic ear sounds like "Alyonya" (11:48 ~13:50 14:24).

Can I please get a feedback on my feedback? That would be helpful :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
linny

Post by linny »

I'm not sure what Mary is looking for. Usually when PLing the final chapters the parts were already considered PL ok and we generally don't go back to the reader.
You are listening to ensure all the parts are in the right places. Comments on volume and pacing are also appreciated but not required.

Does the intro match the one specified in the first post of the project thread (below the Magic Window)? 

Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time. 

Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time. 

Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading? 

Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?) 

Does the ending match the one specified in the first post of the project thread?
Are there 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file?

10:39 Narrator's line TEXT "a dressing-table with a looking-glass fixed on it between the windows" Audio: TWO windows (EDIT: Rather obvious from the context, I guess. Things can only be "between" 2 objects, no? :hmm: )
I can't get a clean edit on removing 'two' so I'll leave the repeat of intent.
11:37 Alyona's line TEXT "The month was up the day before yesterday." AUDIO: "YESTERDAY" is missing.
The word 'yesterday' is missing from the original file. Not a dramatic change to intent so ok to leave as is.
Also, how detailed do you want me to be? E.g There were two places in the Alyona's quickly-spoken lines that were unclear to me, but might be obvious for a native (EDIT: Now, that I've listened to it 2 more times it's clearer.).
Generally, I don't change tempo unless I'm trying to match multiple readers for a group line. Pacing is part of how the reader interprets their character.
it's supposed to be Alyona, but Raskolnikov says something that to my Slavic ear sounds like "Alyonya"
I edited as much as I dared. Corrections at 11:48, 13:55, 14:23
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I don't see any improvement with the "Alyonya" so let's leave it as it is.
I understand that should I come across a missing/extra word I'm not supposed to bring it up, as it's a known (and accepted) issue?
linny

Post by linny »

Piotrek81 wrote: March 2nd, 2019, 8:08 am I understand that should I come across a missing/extra word I'm not supposed to bring it up, as it's a known (and accepted) issue?
If you believe it changes the intent then please do bring it up. If the overall meaning is understood then it's fine. This isn't a word perfect project.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Chapter 3 is PL OK :thumbs: MW amended.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Part 5 chapter 1 is PL OK :thumbs:
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you! That one had been waiting for a very long time.

Beginning Tuesday I'll start editing here again. I know you said you were only committing to the ones already edited so don't feel obligated.
linny

Post by linny »

Chapter 2 is edited. I realize TJ hasn't finished all of her reading but she's been in touch and assured me that she will. If something happens and she can't then there are only a few lines in this chapter I'll need to edit.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/crimeandpunishment_02_dostoyevsky_128kb.mp3 57:24
linny

Post by linny »

Chapter 4 is edited. Not ready for final PL. Color coding errors found. Missing narrator lines.

19:18 - He raised his cane. Raskolnikov rushed at him with his fists, without reflecting that the stout gentleman was a match for two men like himself. But at that instant someone seized him from behind, and a police constable stood between them.

22:22 - he asked him.
linny

Post by linny »

MaryAnn,
Thank you for not deleting the old files for this project. While editing today I found a file that was incorrectly named and had to retrieve the prior version from your folder. The reader is no longer around so you saved the day! :clap: :clap:
benderca

Post by benderca »

linny wrote: March 3rd, 2019, 1:30 pm Chapter 2 is edited. I realize TJ hasn't finished all of her reading but she's been in touch and assured me that she will. If something happens and she can't then there are only a few lines in this chapter I'll need to edit.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/crimeandpunishment_02_dostoyevsky_128kb.mp3 57:24
I am working on editing my parts right now. (All recorded). It won't be long now... :9:
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

linny wrote: March 3rd, 2019, 1:30 pm Chapter 2 is edited. I realize TJ hasn't finished all of her reading but she's been in touch and assured me that she will. If something happens and she can't then there are only a few lines in this chapter I'll need to edit.

Given Benderca's answer, do you want me to wait for her lines?