OPEN - [DR] Clouds of Witness, by Dorothy L. Sayers - rap

Plays and other dramatic works
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Clouds of Witness, by Dorothy L. Sayers (1893 - 1957)

Volunteers outside the USA: Dorothy L. Sayers died in 1957. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Lord Peter Wimsey is back for the second installment of Dorothy L. Sayers’s mystery series (published 1927), and this time a death threatens the core of his family. Will he be able to save his brother, the Duke of Denver? Exactly what kind of trouble has his sister landed in? And what misadventure will Lord Peter get himself and Bunter into this time? (Summary by Lynette Caulkins)
Narrator: Ciufi
Editor: LCaulkins
Parts PL: LCaulkins
Final DPL: Ciufi

Source text (use this for final-DPL): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/70432
(read only from these chapter scripts) Folder link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1l91fH-O6W0v7UM5I4zwI1LZdmUfBaTpl?usp=sharing
*Note, readers will find a chapter link provided in the notebox for each section.

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion. *Narrator and main characters are automatically expected to take longer in this project.

Claiming roles: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available roles. Post a reply in this thread asking for the role you would like to record.
Please note: All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.
*Unless otherwise noted, roles are gender-neutral. Requests to double roles may be considered if one of those is not a prominent character, and if the roles are in different chapters from each other.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: Dramatic Readings; Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction; General Fiction/Published 1900 onward
Keywords that describe the book: Detective, Mystery, murder, London, yorkshire, moors, nobility, parker, jewelry, lord peter, wimsey, bunter, sugg, mistress
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

For individual roles:
Submit one file per chapter. At the beginning of the first file, say:
"Character, read by your name."
Leave 3-5 seconds of space between your lines (room noise, not generated silence).

For narration/stage directions:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Clouds of Witness, by Dorothy L. Sayers. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
At the end of each file say:
"End of Chapter #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Clouds of Witness, by Dorothy L. Sayers."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:
For individual roles: cloudsofwitness_role_##.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. cloudsofwitness_ladymary_01.mp3)
For finished chapter files: cloudsofwitness_##_sayers_128kb.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. cloudsofwitness_01_sayers_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by LCaulkins on August 26th, 2023, 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
loon

Post by loon »

A splendid book!
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

It is very exciting to see this project launching. May I return as Charles Parker?
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

I would be interested in the role of the Duke of Denver.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Lynette! I hope you're keeping well! I will set you up with a Magic Window
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Magic Window, with all its 232 sections, is ready for you!
WendyKatzHiller

Post by WendyKatzHiller »

May I please claim Mrs. Grimethorpe?

Thanks,
Wendy
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Yay, thanks, Rapunzelina! (:heart: your Solstice cheer!)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Give me a couple hours to get the MW set up, and then we'll get this party started!
~Lynette * -
norahnelson

Post by norahnelson »

Oh Lynette! Bet is going to be fun to voice! :D
I'll try my best!
~Norah Leigh ~
"Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen!" Luke 24:5-6
[DR, Children]The Box-Car Children (Only 6 small roles open!)
[Group, History]In the Days of Queen Elizabeth (Full)
loon

Post by loon »

Since I don't do Yorkshire, London, Cornwall, etc., may I could pick up the American Ambassador - sections 32 & 33?
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I'm sure I don't do any of those either, but I'd like to have a go-cheeerio as the Honorable Freddy (Arbuthnot, in MW). Looks a spiffing good time, what. :mrgreen:
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Checking in as narrator. This is going to be fun!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I've never been a coroner before, so I'd like to put in for that part.
I have a couple weeks before we hit the road again, so have time to record this.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Salvationist wrote: June 20th, 2023, 8:52 pm It is very exciting to see this project launching. May I return as Charles Parker?
He's all set up for you :)
~Lynette * -