OPEN [DRAM.READ] Count of Monte Cristo by Alex. Dumas-mas

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
KnightWriter
Posts: 14
Joined: October 21st, 2020, 1:51 pm

Post by KnightWriter » January 4th, 2021, 5:11 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_[narrator]_[74].flac

Recorded yesterday, edited and included some retakes today.
Let me know if this is all right. Had some trouble as my mic seems to pick up a lot. I heard a family member clapping because of a football game, I heard engines roaring in the neighborhood. Frustrating, but I got through it lol :lol:

Kristingj
Posts: 4647
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 4:28 am
Contact:

Post by Kristingj » January 5th, 2021, 12:20 am

KnightWriter wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 5:11 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_[narrator]_[74].flac

Recorded yesterday, edited and included some retakes today.
Let me know if this is all right. Had some trouble as my mic seems to pick up a lot. I heard a family member clapping because of a football game, I heard engines roaring in the neighborhood. Frustrating, but I got through it lol :lol:
Great, thank you, I'll try to get a listen later today:)
(Also, it's not a problem with this file, as it's not the final file, but for future reference with other projects, the file name should be without the brackets, or the file won't upload right. Common mistake, no worries:))

KnightWriter
Posts: 14
Joined: October 21st, 2020, 1:51 pm

Post by KnightWriter » January 7th, 2021, 8:18 am

Kristingj wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 12:20 am
KnightWriter wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 5:11 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_[narrator]_[74].flac

Recorded yesterday, edited and included some retakes today.
Let me know if this is all right. Had some trouble as my mic seems to pick up a lot. I heard a family member clapping because of a football game, I heard engines roaring in the neighborhood. Frustrating, but I got through it lol :lol:
Great, thank you, I'll try to get a listen later today:)
(Also, it's not a problem with this file, as it's not the final file, but for future reference with other projects, the file name should be without the brackets, or the file won't upload right. Common mistake, no worries:))
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_narrator_74.flac

You know it's strange. It's a ~35 MB file, but on the upload page, it shows the file is 35.49 KB. Am I doing something wrong? :?
If it works, let me know how it sounds. I'm editing my readings of Chapters 75-77 and should be able to upload today, too.
Thanks! :)

Kristingj
Posts: 4647
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 4:28 am
Contact:

Post by Kristingj » January 7th, 2021, 1:05 pm

KnightWriter wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 8:18 am
Kristingj wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 12:20 am
KnightWriter wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 5:11 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_[narrator]_[74].flac

Recorded yesterday, edited and included some retakes today.
Let me know if this is all right. Had some trouble as my mic seems to pick up a lot. I heard a family member clapping because of a football game, I heard engines roaring in the neighborhood. Frustrating, but I got through it lol :lol:
Great, thank you, I'll try to get a listen later today:)
(Also, it's not a problem with this file, as it's not the final file, but for future reference with other projects, the file name should be without the brackets, or the file won't upload right. Common mistake, no worries:))
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_narrator_74.flac

You know it's strange. It's a ~35 MB file, but on the upload page, it shows the file is 35.49 KB. Am I doing something wrong? :?
If it works, let me know how it sounds. I'm editing my readings of Chapters 75-77 and should be able to upload today, too.
Thanks! :)
Hmm, I don't so, I listened to the start just now and everything sounds fine, at least. I'll have a proper listen this weekend, and I'll let you know:)

KnightWriter
Posts: 14
Joined: October 21st, 2020, 1:51 pm

Post by KnightWriter » January 8th, 2021, 4:13 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_narrator_75.flac

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_narrator_76.flac

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_narrator_77.flac

All right. Got these tidied up as best as I could and uploaded.
Let me know if there's anything I need to retake.

Also, may I ask a silly question? I've noticed that when I'm recording, I can hear a lot of of my own lip smacking. So, to try and mitigate this, I'll lean to my left, as the mic is on my right, swallow, and then return to the mic in hopes what I'm saying is clear. Any tips to prevent this, or should I not worry about it?

Okay, thanks! I'll record more chapters this weekend :D

Kristingj
Posts: 4647
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 4:28 am
Contact:

Post by Kristingj » January 9th, 2021, 12:47 am

KnightWriter wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 4:13 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_narrator_75.flac

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_narrator_76.flac

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_narrator_77.flac

All right. Got these tidied up as best as I could and uploaded.
Let me know if there's anything I need to retake.

Also, may I ask a silly question? I've noticed that when I'm recording, I can hear a lot of of my own lip smacking. So, to try and mitigate this, I'll lean to my left, as the mic is on my right, swallow, and then return to the mic in hopes what I'm saying is clear. Any tips to prevent this, or should I not worry about it?

Okay, thanks! I'll record more chapters this weekend :D
My best advice is to invest in a pop filter, they're not too costly, and put on your mic. I know it's also possible to make one yourself, but for me at least, the hassle of making one wasn't worth the money it cost to buy one.

linny
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 14921
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Post by linny » January 9th, 2021, 8:48 am

KnightWriter wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 4:13 pm
Also, may I ask a silly question? I've noticed that when I'm recording, I can hear a lot of of my own lip smacking. So, to try and mitigate this, I'll lean to my left, as the mic is on my right, swallow, and then return to the mic in hopes what I'm saying is clear. Any tips to prevent this, or should I not worry about it?
You're dehydrated. Drink lots of water before and during a recording session. Lip balm also helps. Pop filter is never a bad investment.
Linette's DPL list PM me if you need me. I'm mostly here on the weekends.
Readers Wanted: Harrigan! (adventure) Problem of the Ages Home Education DR-Dialogue of the Dead - Lucian

Kristingj
Posts: 4647
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 4:28 am
Contact:

Post by Kristingj » January 10th, 2021, 4:30 am

Just had a listen to narrator chapter 74, and it's great:) There are a couple of changes needed, I'll give you the timeslots beneath. It's mostly the way you pronounce some of the words, but other than that, great job, and a great reading:D.
About the background noise, did you run a noise clean? I ran over once, and it all cleared out, so it shouldn't be a problem. The file was also the correct size when I downloaded, so no problem there.

02:08, 06:49 - Pronounciation "Pere-la-Chaise" - Should be more like this: https://forvo.com/word/p%C3%A8re_lachaise/#fr
03:45 - Pronounciation "d'Avrigny" - More like this: https://forvo.com/search/d'avrigny/
08:38, 09:39 - Pronounciation "d'Epinay" - More like this: https://forvo.com/search/d'epinay/

Kristingj
Posts: 4647
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 4:28 am
Contact:

Post by Kristingj » January 10th, 2021, 4:46 am

PL narrator chapter 75
01:11 - You said 'mentioned', it should be 'motioned' ("He motioned to Valentine to approach."

Other than that, it's PL OK!

Chapter 76 & 77 are both the same file as 75, unfortunatly, so there must have been a mixup somewhere.

KnightWriter
Posts: 14
Joined: October 21st, 2020, 1:51 pm

Post by KnightWriter » January 15th, 2021, 3:05 pm

Kristingj wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 4:30 am
Just had a listen to narrator chapter 74, and it's great:) There are a couple of changes needed, I'll give you the timeslots beneath. It's mostly the way you pronounce some of the words, but other than that, great job, and a great reading:D.
About the background noise, did you run a noise clean? I ran over once, and it all cleared out, so it shouldn't be a problem. The file was also the correct size when I downloaded, so no problem there.

02:08, 06:49 - Pronounciation "Pere-la-Chaise" - Should be more like this: https://forvo.com/word/p%C3%A8re_lachaise/#fr
03:45 - Pronounciation "d'Avrigny" - More like this: https://forvo.com/search/d'avrigny/
08:38, 09:39 - Pronounciation "d'Epinay" - More like this: https://forvo.com/search/d'epinay/
Oh okay. Cool. It's super challenging for me but I'll get it down soon haha. Ah, so should I just retake those lines around that time? I can do some retakes and insert the new takes in its place. I also will take note of the other part about where it should be motioned or something. I can't see it now as I'm replying lol.

But, thank you, Kristin for your support and encouragement. I didn't do anything last week or this week. That's on me. I wrestle with depression here and there, and considering all we've been through in 2020, and events last week I won't go into here, it's been rough. I'm feeling a bit better this afternoon, so, I'm going to do some retakes soon and read chapter ah... I think I'm on 79.

And that's strange there's a file mix up somewhere. I'll have to upload them again. And I may have missed the noise clean step. I'm sorry. I ought to go to the first page and read up on how to do that in Audacity. My apologies :)

Salvationist
Posts: 780
Joined: December 22nd, 2015, 7:46 pm
Location: North America

Post by Salvationist » January 15th, 2021, 4:48 pm

Unfortunately, my region has gone into lockdown due to COVID-19, which means that I no longer have access to my recording space and equipment. Consequently, I will not be able to do any more recording until after the lockdown lifts, which is at least a month away. For this reason, I will not be able to make the two-month deadline to submit the part of the Concierge. Please feel free to open the part up for someone else to claim if you so desire.
Salvationist

Readers wanted for Four Noncanonical Sherlock Holmes Short Stories

Kristingj
Posts: 4647
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 4:28 am
Contact:

Post by Kristingj » January 16th, 2021, 2:18 am

KnightWriter wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 3:05 pm
Oh okay. Cool. It's super challenging for me but I'll get it down soon haha. Ah, so should I just retake those lines around that time? I can do some retakes and insert the new takes in its place. I also will take note of the other part about where it should be motioned or something. I can't see it now as I'm replying lol.

But, thank you, Kristin for your support and encouragement. I didn't do anything last week or this week. That's on me. I wrestle with depression here and there, and considering all we've been through in 2020, and events last week I won't go into here, it's been rough. I'm feeling a bit better this afternoon, so, I'm going to do some retakes soon and read chapter ah... I think I'm on 79.

And that's strange there's a file mix up somewhere. I'll have to upload them again. And I may have missed the noise clean step. I'm sorry. I ought to go to the first page and read up on how to do that in Audacity. My apologies :)
First, there is no rush, and as someone who lives with anxiety, I know all about how it can take over. So don't stress on that, or that it might be a while between getting things done. This project is a long one, and we have the time to let people do it in their own time. (Hey, I'm reading the Count, and it's taking me litterary years to get it done.)

Yeah, the easiest way to do it is to open audacity and find the place and re-record the line around it so that it's easy to place in. That's usually easier than recording the one word and trying to put it in smoothly.

Seriously, unless you are beeing actually mean to me (or someone else) there is no need to apologize for anything you do here. This is a judgement free zone. You're new. I don't expect you to remember all that you read, or even to have read all of it, so seriously, no stress.

Kristingj
Posts: 4647
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 4:28 am
Contact:

Post by Kristingj » January 16th, 2021, 2:20 am

Salvationist wrote:
January 15th, 2021, 4:48 pm
Unfortunately, my region has gone into lockdown due to COVID-19, which means that I no longer have access to my recording space and equipment. Consequently, I will not be able to do any more recording until after the lockdown lifts, which is at least a month away. For this reason, I will not be able to make the two-month deadline to submit the part of the Concierge. Please feel free to open the part up for someone else to claim if you so desire.
No problem, it'll keep for now:)

acholcom
Posts: 9
Joined: January 18th, 2021, 11:23 am

Post by acholcom » January 20th, 2021, 11:11 pm

HI, I'm interested in narrating volume 5!

Kristingj
Posts: 4647
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 4:28 am
Contact:

Post by Kristingj » January 22nd, 2021, 2:23 am

acholcom wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 11:11 pm
HI, I'm interested in narrating volume 5!
Great! I will be PL'ing the first couple of chapters you submit, and then wait until you have it all done, so that I don't do a lot of unneeded work if you withdraw. Remember to have a look at any pronounciations you might not be sure about, and if in doubt, and it's nnot on a list here, feel free to ask:)

Post Reply