OPEN[DRAM.READ] Count of Monte Cristo by Alex. Dumas-mas

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
aviolaVO
Posts: 17
Joined: April 26th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Post by aviolaVO » April 28th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Would love to narrate:
Sections 151 through 153, Narrator Vol 4, Chapters 84, 85, 86

Under the name 'Anthony Viola' - Thanks !

Kristingj
Posts: 4529
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 4:28 am
Contact:

Post by Kristingj » April 28th, 2020, 10:01 pm

148518 wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 9:32 pm
Hey I'm new to Librivox, but I'd love to read for Valentine de Villefort.
Welcome to LibriVox! You're welcome to the role, but be aware that first, it's a pretty big role, and I've had several newbies try their hand and not managed to finish it. And second, it has an age gap. So the first few chapters she is a good 20 years younger than in the rest. Also, check out the pronounciation guide in the first post, we're pretty strict about it in this project.

Please make sure you complete the "1 Minute Test" for review before you start actively recording any chapters for projects. This is NOT an audition, but a way to check to make sure all your technical settings are correct, your volume loud enough, etc. You will find the information for the 1-Minute Test Recording here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. The instructions also tell you how to upload your test and then post in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum so someone can give you feedback on it.

Also, as this is a Dramatic Reading, here's a few tips to make a great recording.
First, try and make sure you have as little background noise as possible. Follow the tips here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning.
Second, when recording a part, think of it as having a conversation. How would you naturally speak? read the text and see how the character reacts to the things around him, and if it doesn't say, then try to imagine it yourself. Let the reactions sound in your voice. A line can be read in extremely different ways, depending on if the character is sad or happy, so just remember to pay attention to the text and what is going on around him.
Third, when you edit after you have recorded (you will edit, we all do), leave at least 3-4 seconds between the lines, so that it will be clear when I edit where the break is.


At the Newbie Guide to Recording: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording,you can see how to set up your computer to record.

If you'd like to introduce yourself to the community, you can do se here: http://forum.librivox.org/viewforum.php?f=17

An overview of how Librivox works can be found here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/How_LibriVox_Works

There are numerous ways to volunteer here. An important one is proof-listening, which consists of checking someone's recording for errors. If you'd like to give that a try, you can find lots of information here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Guide_for_Proof-listeners
One of our volunteers has created a number of videos that you might find helpful to learn more about the workings of Librivox. You can find a listing of those here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/User:Philchenevert

Also to point out to professional (or aspiring) Voice Over artists, all our recordings are put back into the public domain which means sometimes they are sold on ebay, etc. Have a look at this page which describes our Public Domain policy: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Copyright_and_Public_Domain

I hope you have fun and please, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!
Kristin


Help us finish!
The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - Narrator for vol 5 still needed! Several small parts to pick from

Kristingj
Posts: 4529
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 4:28 am
Contact:

Post by Kristingj » April 28th, 2020, 10:02 pm

aviolaVO wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 2:02 pm
Would love to narrate:
Sections 151 through 153, Narrator Vol 4, Chapters 84, 85, 86

Under the name 'Anthony Viola' - Thanks !
Hi, you can't sign up for just a few chapters, the narrator goes volume by volume.
Kristin


Help us finish!
The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - Narrator for vol 5 still needed! Several small parts to pick from

reecedawg
Posts: 339
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 7:09 am
Location: Cordova, IL

Post by reecedawg » April 28th, 2020, 10:06 pm

May I please take on the role of Marquis de Saint-Meran?

It has been a while since I have been involved in a DR project, but I think I remember the ropes. The instructions seem very clear, but I may have some questions as we go along. :)
"After the dazzle of day is gone,
Only the dark, dark night shows to my eyes the stars;
After the clangor of organ majestic, or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves the symphony true."
Walt Whitman

aviolaVO
Posts: 17
Joined: April 26th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Post by aviolaVO » April 30th, 2020, 10:08 am

Kristingj wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 10:02 pm
aviolaVO wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 2:02 pm
Would love to narrate:
Sections 151 through 153, Narrator Vol 4, Chapters 84, 85, 86

Under the name 'Anthony Viola' - Thanks !
Hi, you can't sign up for just a few chapters, the narrator goes volume by volume.
AH, thanks. Realistically, how long would someone get to complete each chapter in the Volume? Thanks.

LCaulkins
Posts: 1555
Joined: October 6th, 2019, 10:22 am
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Post by LCaulkins » April 30th, 2020, 11:04 am

aviolaVO wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 10:08 am

AH, thanks. Realistically, how long would someone get to complete each chapter in the Volume? Thanks.
Hey, Aviola, hopefuly Kristin doesn't mind me sticking my head in here (and she may have a different response) -

Generally, for narrator, you're not expected to complete all the files in a two-month period. That would be kinda crazy unless you were full-time recording!

So long as you are steadily submitting chapters, particularly in long-term projects like this, and not disappearing partway through, you're fine. Something like a chapter a week is a great pace for narrators, even sometimes taking a couple weeks for one of them.
~Lynette in Colorado, USA
My Sections
Readers needed:
Let's finish this one for Elizabby: :hearts: Regiment of Women
DR - Count of Monte Cristo

LCaulkins
Posts: 1555
Joined: October 6th, 2019, 10:22 am
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Post by LCaulkins » April 30th, 2020, 11:05 am

aviolaVO wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 10:08 am

AH, thanks. Realistically, how long would someone get to complete each chapter in the Volume? Thanks.
Hey, Aviola, hopefuly Kristin doesn't mind me sticking my head in here (and she may have a different response) - It sounds like you're gauging whether the commitment fits your plate or not right now.

Generally, for narrator, you're not expected to complete all the files in a two-month period. That would be kinda crazy unless you were full-time recording!

So long as you are steadily submitting chapters, particularly in long-term projects like this, and not disappearing partway through, you're fine. Something like a chapter a week is a great pace for narrators, even sometimes taking a couple weeks for one of them.
~Lynette in Colorado, USA
My Sections
Readers needed:
Let's finish this one for Elizabby: :hearts: Regiment of Women
DR - Count of Monte Cristo

reecedawg
Posts: 339
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 7:09 am
Location: Cordova, IL

Post by reecedawg » April 30th, 2020, 12:23 pm

reecedawg wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 10:06 pm
May I please take on the role of Marquis de Saint-Meran?

It has been a while since I have been involved in a DR project, but I think I remember the ropes. The instructions seem very clear, but I may have some questions as we go along. :)
Repeating this request for a part - not sure anyone saw it go by. :-)
Thanks!
Matthew Reece
"After the dazzle of day is gone,
Only the dark, dark night shows to my eyes the stars;
After the clangor of organ majestic, or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves the symphony true."
Walt Whitman

aviolaVO
Posts: 17
Joined: April 26th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Post by aviolaVO » April 30th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Thank you for the input. It's a big undertaking, but it's one of my favorite tales and I've read it unabridged twice, so if I can run at a pace of one chapter approximately every two weeks (with an expected increase in production sometime in summer as I have a separate project thru then) I would still like to volunteer for Volume 4.

Let me know and thanks again.

Kristingj
Posts: 4529
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 4:28 am
Contact:

Post by Kristingj » May 1st, 2020, 11:19 am

LCaulkins wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 11:05 am
aviolaVO wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 10:08 am

AH, thanks. Realistically, how long would someone get to complete each chapter in the Volume? Thanks.
Hey, Aviola, hopefuly Kristin doesn't mind me sticking my head in here (and she may have a different response) - It sounds like you're gauging whether the commitment fits your plate or not right now.

Generally, for narrator, you're not expected to complete all the files in a two-month period. That would be kinda crazy unless you were full-time recording!

So long as you are steadily submitting chapters, particularly in long-term projects like this, and not disappearing partway through, you're fine. Something like a chapter a week is a great pace for narrators, even sometimes taking a couple weeks for one of them.
Yeah, this is basically the same I would say, all the major roles get the same treatment:)
Kristin


Help us finish!
The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - Narrator for vol 5 still needed! Several small parts to pick from

Kristingj
Posts: 4529
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 4:28 am
Contact:

Post by Kristingj » May 1st, 2020, 11:22 am

aviolaVO wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 12:29 pm
Thank you for the input. It's a big undertaking, but it's one of my favorite tales and I've read it unabridged twice, so if I can run at a pace of one chapter approximately every two weeks (with an expected increase in production sometime in summer as I have a separate project thru then) I would still like to volunteer for Volume 4.

Let me know and thanks again.
That's great, it's all yours! Pay attention to certain pronounciations, like towns and cities, names and francs in particular. I'll PL the first couple of chapters when they come and then wait until you have it all in.
Kristin


Help us finish!
The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - Narrator for vol 5 still needed! Several small parts to pick from

Kristingj
Posts: 4529
Joined: June 9th, 2011, 4:28 am
Contact:

Post by Kristingj » May 1st, 2020, 11:24 am

reecedawg wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 10:06 pm
May I please take on the role of Marquis de Saint-Meran?

It has been a while since I have been involved in a DR project, but I think I remember the ropes. The instructions seem very clear, but I may have some questions as we go along. :)
All yours, and ask away:)
Kristin


Help us finish!
The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - Narrator for vol 5 still needed! Several small parts to pick from

aviolaVO
Posts: 17
Joined: April 26th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Post by aviolaVO » May 1st, 2020, 5:02 pm

Great :D
I will do my best!
I'll also be sure to check in with any questions/concerns (or hangups).
Anthony


reecedawg
Posts: 339
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 7:09 am
Location: Cordova, IL

Post by reecedawg » May 1st, 2020, 9:20 pm

"After the dazzle of day is gone,
Only the dark, dark night shows to my eyes the stars;
After the clangor of organ majestic, or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves the symphony true."
Walt Whitman

Post Reply