~FULL [DRAM.READ] Count of Monte Cristo by Alex. Dumas-mas

Plays and other dramatic works
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

OOPS!! :oops: :oops:

I looked back at the above file and realized that I didn't give nearly enough space between some lines, so I went back and fixed that. But I have to say that dealing with flac in Audacity is not as easy as Mp3.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_abbefaria_14.flac

New Time: 4:40

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Kalamareader wrote: September 30th, 2020, 6:39 pm
Kristingj wrote: September 30th, 2020, 12:09 am James, I just noticed that you are recording in Mono, when it should be in stereo. I'm pretty sure we can change this when we edit it together, but be aware of it for next time.
Is this what you really meant to say as the instructions in the first post say:

Set your recording software to:
Channels: 1 (Mono)
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

I am starting right now and was planning on doing it in Mono, so I think I will.

Wayne

No, shoot, I meant the other way around. James, yours is in stereo, it needs to be in Mono. When you record, it's supposted to be only 1 section, not two. I*ve edited the original post.
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Kalamareader wrote: September 30th, 2020, 9:14 pm OOPS!! :oops: :oops:

I looked back at the above file and realized that I didn't give nearly enough space between some lines, so I went back and fixed that. But I have to say that dealing with flac in Audacity is not as easy as Mp3.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_abbefaria_14.flac

New Time: 4:40

Wayne
And it's PL OK!
Great reading:)
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
benderca

Post by benderca »

EDIT: :D
Last edited by benderca on October 1st, 2020, 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kristingj wrote: September 30th, 2020, 10:22 pm No, shoot, I meant the other way around. James, yours is in stereo, it needs to be in Mono. When you record, it's supposted to be only 1 section, not two. I*ve edited the original post.
:D
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kalamareader wrote: September 30th, 2020, 7:35 pm It is harder for me to get the correct volume in flac.
Wayne
I export the file to mp3 so I can use the Librivox Checker for volume and background noise. Then I adjust my audacity file accordingly and export from Audacity to flac.
linny

Post by linny »

benderca wrote: October 1st, 2020, 1:08 am
Kalamareader wrote: September 30th, 2020, 7:35 pm It is harder for me to get the correct volume in flac.
Wayne
I export the file to mp3 so I can use the Librivox Checker for volume and background noise. Then I adjust my audacity file accordingly and export from Audacity to flac.
Then the first thing I do is transfer them all back to mp3s so I can run them through the checker before I edit. :roll:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I don't get the issue with flac vs mp3. Once you load them into Audacity, they are all converted to .aup files (the format Audacity uses). There is a plug-in for Audacity that checks for volume (and adjusts to 89 dB if you want). (Info on the wiki here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity) So you can do all the work on your file in Audacity the same way, and then just choose to export to a different format (flac vs mp3).

The benefit of flac is that it's a lossless format - so when it's imported into Audacity for the editor to work with, it doesn't loose any sound quality. Repeated conversions to and from an mp3 will result in some loss of quality, although you need to convert the file multiple times in order for the changes to be noticeable to the human ear. So using mp3s in DWs is usually not a problem, but still some BCs prefer to work from flac part files.

MaryAnn
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

When working with Mp3 files what I do is this. Record then listen through the recording correcting any mistakes I didn't catch during the original recording. Then I save it as an Mp3. I then load it into "Mp3 Gain". It is a program I found somewhere that I really like. I load it into there and it reads the file and then, with a click, adjusts the file to near 89 dB. Then, after the volume is corrected, I 'import' the file into Audacity and then run 'Noise Reduction'. I then save it as an Mp3 file again and again go through Mp3 Gain. If needed it will again correct the volume to near 89. I then run the 'corrected' file through Checker. It is always with in .1 decibels of the Mp3 Gain reading, then I upload it. That way it usually takes about three minutes or so from the first saving in Mp3 till I can upload it.

Just the way I do it, and it seems to work for me and keeps all the DPLs and BCs happy. :mrgreen:

Wayne

Edit: I just read more on the Checker program. I didn't realize there were two levels of checking and I also now know how to use the volume control and also that it refers to Mp3 Gain there. As noted above, I just start there and it works for me. As I have been told and tell others: If you have problems or want to know more "RTI" Read The Instructions. :roll:
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: October 1st, 2020, 8:36 am I don't get the issue with flac vs mp3. Once you load them into Audacity, they are all converted to .aup files (the format Audacity uses). There is a plug-in for Audacity that checks for volume (and adjusts to 89 dB if you want). (Info on the wiki here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity) So you can do all the work on your file in Audacity the same way, and then just choose to export to a different format (flac vs mp3).

MaryAnn
With my level of experience and knowledge, the problem was 1) I didn't know about the add-on, and 2) because of that I really couldn't tell well what my dB reading was as I couldn't insert a flac file into either Mp3 Gain or Checker.

Wayne
Wayne
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Yeah, it took me a bit to figure out how to get the flac file to start with. :lol:

I never did get it through my head to export to mp3 first so I could check the volume before exporting to flac for the submission. . . I just left things the same way I had them for another project, and hoped the dBs were coming out OK over here.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
linny

Post by linny »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: October 1st, 2020, 8:36 am Repeated conversions to and from an mp3 will result in some loss of quality, although you need to convert the file multiple times in order for the changes to be noticeable to the human ear. So using mp3s in DWs is usually not a problem, but still some BCs prefer to work from flac part files.

MaryAnn
There was a conversation a couple of years ago, along with supporting test, that determined that to actually lose quality the conversion had to happen a TON of times (hundreds if I remember correctly). I wish I could find that thread. <shrug>
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

linny wrote: October 1st, 2020, 2:04 pm There was a conversation a couple of years ago, along with supporting test, that determined that to actually lose quality the conversion had to happen a TON of times (hundreds if I remember correctly). I wish I could find that thread. <shrug>
I don't know if this one is the one you were thinking of (but if it is, time flies :lol: )

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9084&p=132793&hilit=xerox#p132793

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Here is Chapter 15. It seems to be the last of the 'short' ones for a while :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/montecristo_abbefaria_15.flac

Time: 3:30

Wayne
Wayne
linny

Post by linny »

Kalamareader wrote: October 1st, 2020, 3:24 pm I don't know if this one is the one you were thinking of (but if it is, time flies :lol: )

Wayne
Oh my! Time does fly. :lol: