(Complete) [DRAM.READ] Wives and Daughters, E Gaskell - m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

SylviaJM wrote:I'd like to read the part of Mrs. Dawes. I'm still waiting for my 1 minute test to be ok'd and to do any needed adjustments, before I start recording any readings. Just wanted to get my name in as interested in reading the part. :D
Welcome! I'll create a reader file for you and put you in the MW. What name do you want to use for your voice credits and in the catalogue? Also, do you want a URL linked? I can do that to your profile - you are not allowed to link to a personal site in your signature (looks too much like advertising).

Mrs Dawes looks like great fun - enjoy! Remember that you don't need the LV disclaimer or intro or outro for a dram read - just say "Mrs Dawes read by yourname" and then read the bits in bright green, as linked in the google docs in the Magic Window (the purple text links, just keep scrolling down). Please remember to use the filenames as given in the first post, as the uploader is very picky, and use the CHAPTER numbers (not your section number). A separate file for each chapter please.

That's it! Post here if you have any other questions. :thumbs:
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Elizabby wrote:Chapter 1 Narration, there is just one sentence which is still not right:

@09:11 "bowled along the smooth tree-shaded road, and deposited its covey of smartly-dressed ladies"
(a covey is a group of birds, nothing to do with transport. Pronounced "KU-vee", stress on the first syllable.)
I should have looked it up or something :roll: and I am familiar with the word, I just did not realize it until now :mrgreen: hehe, oh well, I will get it fixed up again soon!
~Tiffany
SylviaJM

Post by SylviaJM »

Elizabby wrote:
Welcome! I'll create a reader file for you and put you in the MW. What name do you want to use for your voice credits and in the catalogue? Also, do you want a URL linked? I can do that to your profile - you are not allowed to link to a personal site in your signature (looks too much like advertising).
Is it okay to use my full name for the voice credit? I don't have a web site. If there is any other information you need for my profile, just let me know please. :)
Elizaddy wrote:
Mrs Dawes looks like great fun - enjoy! Remember that you don't need the LV disclaimer or intro or outro for a dram read - just say "Mrs Dawes read by yourname" and then read the bits in bright green, as linked in the google docs in the Magic Window (the purple text links, just keep scrolling down). Please remember to use the filenames as given in the first post, as the uploader is very picky, and use the CHAPTER numbers (not your section number). A separate file for each chapter please.
Yes! The character does look like fun. I'm looking forward to getting the go-ahead to start reading. I've read through the character's lines already a couple of times. There was one line I noticed was highlighted in bright green for Mrs. Dawes, which per my reading of the text seemed like it might be a narrator's line. I'll look it look it up and get back to you for clarification, if that's okay?

Edit: This is the section:

Narrator: Miss Browning went to Mrs. Dawes' and began civilly enough to make inquiries concerning the reports current in Hollingford about Molly and Mr. Preston; and Mrs. Dawes fell into the snare, and told all the real and fictitious circumstances of the story in circulation, quite unaware of the storm that was gathering and ready to fall upon her as she stopped speaking. But she had not the long habit of reverence for Miss Browning which would have kept so many Hollingford ladies from justifying themselves if she found fault. Mrs. Dawes stood up for herself and her own veracity, bringing out fresh scandal, which she said

Mrs Dawes: she did not believe, but that many did;

Narrator: and adducing so much evidence as to the truth of what she had said and did believe, that Miss Browning was almost quelled, and sate silent and miserable at the end of Mrs. Dawes' justification of herself.

It seems to me that the narrator is relating an introductory summery of Mrs. Dawes reaction sort of in a setting the scene way, rather than it being an actual within the context line spoken by Mrs. Dawes. For instance, as Mrs. Dawes, I would not say "she" referring to myself.

Just want to make sure, though.

Elizabby wrote:
That's it! Post here if you have any other questions. :thumbs:
Alright. :D Sounds good. Thanks for the welcome. 8-)
Last edited by SylviaJM on November 3rd, 2014, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

SylviaJM wrote:
Elizabby wrote:
Is it okay to use my full name for the voice credit? I don't have a web site. If there is any other information you need for my profile, just let me know please. :)
Sure - what is your full name?
There was one line I noticed was highlighted in bright green for Mrs. Dawes, which per my reading of the text seemed like it might be a narrator's line
Yes, there is one in Chapter 47 which I have given to the character even though it is actually narration. It's called "Free Indirect Speech" and it's a writing technique Jane Austen also uses a bit. I've used BC discretion to reallocate some lines this way. Breaks up the text a bit. I've done this in quite a few spots, it isn't just you!
SylviaJM

Post by SylviaJM »

Elizabby wrote:
It's called "Free Indirect Speech" and it's a writing technique Jane Austen also uses a bit.
Ah. I see. :)

My name is Sylvia Martindale.
J_N

Post by J_N »

J_N wrote:
Elizabby wrote:
J_N wrote:I'd be happy to take some small role... I probably sound fairly young (about to turn 30)... but I could try making myself sound older if needed :)
If I remember correctly, I think you could do a nice accent for a French girl speaking English? (You don't have to actually speak French, she speaks broken/accented English.) Marie-Aimée Scherer is in her early 20s, she's the wife of one of the main English characters. She appears in two chapters. How does that sound?

Otherwise there's plenty of maids, housemaids and village gossips still going! Or you could claim one in addition to Aimee.
I'll try her... she will have an accent... not sure it will be french, but it will be something :lol: if it doesn't work, I can always switch :)
Sorry, I have attempted this several times, but I just can't get to grips with this role... may I return it?
I won't be claiming anything else at the moment - not until I have cleared my plate somewhat :)
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

J_N wrote: Sorry, I have attempted this several times, but I just can't get to grips with this role... may I return it?
I won't be claiming anything else at the moment - not until I have cleared my plate somewhat :)
Sure, that's fine. Thanks for letting us know!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Brilliant! I'll PL these soon - if not tonight then later this week.

EDIT: Chapters 2, 3 and 13 are PL OK! (I couldn't wait so I did the short ones! ;) )
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Miss Phoebe Chapters 1, 12 and 14 are also all PL OK! :thumbs:

Lovely reading - this is exactly how I hoped she would sound! :9: Another 8 chapters, and you'll join Lady Harriet as the first two multi-chapter roles finished! :clap:
moncheri

Post by moncheri »

Hello! I would love to read Lady Mary Cuxhaven, Mrs. Kirkpatrick, and Lady Agnes if they are available (or anything you might recommend). I'm still waiting on my 1-minute test to be approved but I should be able to start as soon as it is.

This looks like a fun project!

Thanks,
Catherine
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

moncheri wrote:Hello! I would love to read Lady Mary Cuxhaven, Mrs. Kirkpatrick, and Lady Agnes if they are available (or anything you might recommend). I'm still waiting on my 1-minute test to be approved but I should be able to start as soon as it is.
Welcome! Glad to see enthusiasm! :clap:

However, Lady Mary and Lady Agnes are actually sisters, so I'd prefer different voices for them - I think it would be too confusing to have the same voice playing two different sisters!

So I'll put you down for Lady Mary (which is the bigger part) and Mrs Kirkpatrick. Enjoy! :thumbs:
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Elizabby wrote:this is exactly how I hoped she would sound
So Miss Phoebe is keeping her fingers crossed, hoping she hasn't lost track of her old voice and changed to a different one a few days later!

Here are Miss Phoebe's next few chapters --
Ch. 21 -- (0:47) -- https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/wivesanddaughtersdr_21_missphoebe.mp3
Ch. 26 -- (2:03) -- https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/wivesanddaughtersdr_26_missphoebe.mp3
Ch. 31 -- (0:21) -- https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/wivesanddaughtersdr_31_missphoebe.mp3
Ch. 38 -- (1:56) -- https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/wivesanddaughtersdr_38_missphoebe.mp3
Ch. 40 -- (3:26) -- https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/wivesanddaughtersdr_40_missphoebe.mp3
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

I haven't forgotten you, Beth! Life has gotten INSANE!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »