(Complete) [DRAM.READ] Wives and Daughters, E Gaskell - m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Thank you!

I think the reader for Molly is still around, but not sure of the other two. I will try to look into things tomorrow. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

m8b1 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 6:00 pm Thank you!

I think the reader for Molly is still around, but not sure of the other two. I will try to look into things tomorrow. :-)
Actually, Maria, those are all points where we switched readers on purpose - The first was a non-narrator role that was missed in the scripting (my hubs was happy to record it for us). The second and third spots are places where the pronouns made it sound really weird for the characters to do the reading instead of the narrator (these are some of the places Linny and I had been talking about that I'd double-recorded something a role reader had done, so that the editor could use discretion about which voice to use for the sentences).

So chapter 53 doesn't need anything from role readers. Shouldn't be problematice for PL'ing, since the source is used, not the scripts.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin »

I suppose my previous message was a little unclear. Whoops!

As Lynette said, those changes were all intentional choices. I have Molly and Aimée's recordings already if we wanted to stick to exactly how it was originally scripted, so nothing needs to be re-recorded. I just figured I'd mention all of the points where I did choose to take in changes to the script so that I can be corrected if there are any strong objections to them.
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was just logging off last night when I posted, and I didn't have time to look at it closely. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

CHAPTER 53 -

Here is the PL Feedback - really minor! You all are ready great readers - the section was fun to listen to!

Narrator 7:49 – text says “Winchester” I heard “Winster” Should be WinCHESter.
We need 5 seconds of silence at the end of the Chapter please.

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Chapter 55 - PL OK!!!

Chapter 56 - A couple of PL Notes -

Narrator 5:29 – text says “heard”. I heard “learned”
Narrator 20:06 – 20:26 is a duplicate of 19:40 – 20:05.

Lynda
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Lmnei wrote: July 24th, 2021, 8:41 pm Chapter 55 - PL OK!!!

Chapter 56 - A couple of PL Notes -

Narrator 5:29 – text says “heard”. I heard “learned”
Narrator 20:06 – 20:26 is a duplicate of 19:40 – 20:05.

Lynda
Thank you I think we can leave 'learned' as it does not change the meaning of what is being said.
Edited and uploaded

21:25
https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/wivesanddaughtersdr_56_gaskell_128kb.mp3
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Lmnei wrote: July 24th, 2021, 7:45 pm CHAPTER 53 -

Here is the PL Feedback - really minor! You all are ready great readers - the section was fun to listen to!

Narrator 7:49 – text says “Winchester” I heard “Winster” Should be WinCHESter.
We need 5 seconds of silence at the end of the Chapter please.

Lynda
Here's 53 with the Winchester edit. Still 29:03 (I looked at the end silence while in the track, and it's at 4 seconds, so I didn't mess with that, as LV end silence can land between 3 and 5 seconds)

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/wivesanddaughtersdr_53_gaskell_128kb.mp3
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Maria -

Is this 3-5 second silence new? I have PL'd quite a bit of work and 5 seconds at the end is pretty standard at LV. The other 2 Chapters that I PL'd were at 5 seconds.

"(I looked at the end silence while in the track, and it's at 4 seconds, so I didn't mess with that, as LV end silence can land between 3 and 5 seconds)"

Lynda
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

I've never heard of the 3-5 second range, and I have been around for awhile. :-)

Please in the future make it five seconds if at all possible. Just copy and pasting some silence will do the trick. Since this one is at four, I wouldn't worry about fixing it just for that.

The reason we leave 5 seconds is because some players are known to cut off a recording early. (Same for the beginning silence). We used to do 10 seconds if the file was longer than 30 minutes, but we have since made it a standard 5 on all files.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Really? I came in something like 2, 2-1/2 years ago, and it is what was taught to me. I have it in my beginner written notes.

Looking around, we have inconsistency and omissions regarding the end silence length in the places that people might be looking for how to do a recording. I probably wrote my note on this down from the instructions for the 1-Minute Test, which says 3-5 seconds. :)
~Lynette * -
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Lynette,

The test would be a different situation, as it would be of use to have the silence to pick up in any background noise issues that might need to be fixed. I have never seen it stated anywhere for submitted section, but I will ask around. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Miruvor

Post by Miruvor »

Chapter 54, ready for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/wivesanddaughtersdr_54_gaskell_128kb.mp3 28:19

And the narrator recording for 54 is PL OK!
:thumbs: Mira
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Thank you, Mira!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

PL Notes for Chapter 54 -

8:11 – heard "care" should be "charge"
9:14 – heard "leaving the child" should be "leaving her child"
10:14 – heard "the daily charges" should be "the various charges"

You can let me know if you think these should be changed or not...

Lynda

PS Chapters 53 and 56 are not marked Ready for Spot PL yet - are they ready? :lol: