COMPLETE [DRAM.READ] The Betrothed by Manzoni - kd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni (1785 - 1873). Translated by George William Featherstonhaugh (1780 - 1866)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-betrothed-version-2-dramatic-reading-by-alessandro-manzoni/
The Betrothed (orig. Italian: I promessi sposi) is an Italian historical novel by Alessandro Manzoni, first published in 1827, in three volumes. It has been called the most famous and widely read novel of the Italian language.

Set in northern Italy in 1628, during the oppressive years under Spanish rule, it is sometimes seen as a veiled attack on Austria, which controlled the region at the time the novel was written. (The definitive version was published in 1842.) It is also noted for the extraordinary description of the plague that struck Milan around 1630.

The Betrothed was inspired by Walter Scott's Ivanhoe and was the first Italian historical novel. It deals with a variety of themes, from the cowardly, hypocritical nature of one prelate (Don Abbondio) and the heroic sainthood of other priests (Padre Cristoforo, Federico Borromeo), to the unwavering strength of love (the relationship between Renzo and Lucia, and their struggle to finally meet again and be married), and offers some keen insights into the meanderings of the human mind.

This summary is a placeholder summary from Wikipedia. The BC will write a permanent summary before cataloging. (Summary by Woolly Bee)
PLEASE NOTE:

- Casting is gender perfect for the larger parts (character appears in 4+ chapters).

- Specify the section number of the part(s) you are claiming; this makes assigning the section easier.
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded lines within 1 month of placing your claim if your character appears in five chapters or less. If your character appears in 6-12 chapters, please submit your lines within 2 months of placing your claim. If your character appears in more than 12 chapters, submit your recordings up to 3 months after placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after the allotted time, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Please read from the Google Docs linked in the Magic Window. You can see all the Google Docs HERE.
      Source text (for PLs to check against original text): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/35155
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Pronunciation guide: https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/betrothed_pronunciation.mp3

Readers, please read from the Google Docs (NOT the Gutenberg text) HERE.

A list of the words and names in pronunciation guide can be found here. If you have any questions about pronunciation, please PM the absolutely amazing HoosierMary. :D

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Dramatic Readings; General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900

Keywords that describe the book: manzoni, the betrothed, alessandro manzoni, 1834, featherstonhaugh, george william featherstonhaugh

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading the narration, please include for the first chapter: At the beginning: Chapter [#] of The Betrothed, by Alessandro Manzoni, translated by George William Featherstonhaugh (1780 - 1866). This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end of the first chapter: End of Chapter [#].

All other directions for the intro and outro for the narration can be found at the beginning and end of the Google Docs.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Please note that we prefer FLAC files.
      Save files as 128 kbps FLAC betrothed_[$$]_[role###].mp3 (all lower-case) where $$ is the chapter number and ### is the section number of your character.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin.)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kd - KiltedDragon
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
      PLs: Woolly Bee, HoosierMary, linny

If you'd like to volunteer as a PL, please PM Woolly Bee.

Any questions?
      Please post below or PM WoollyBee. :)
Last edited by WoollyBee on January 4th, 2018, 6:16 am, edited 32 times in total.
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

The available roles can be found HERE.

Casting is gender perfect.

Some roles have been pre-cast:
  • Narrator - HoosierMary
  • Lucy - Woolly Bee
  • Agnes - HoneyBee
  • Tony - FarmerPete
  • Perpetua - Elizabby
  • Boatman, Voice 3, Young Daughter - LaLune
  • The Unnamed - alanmapstone
  • Gertrude, Martha, the Widow - abendlied
These amazing people have already volunteered to help out:
  • PLs (parts) - HoosierMary, WoollyBee, jeanie1914, silverquill
  • Editors - Breeze (more needed)
I still need more editors and some volunteers to PL the final chapters.

Thank you.

Sarah
Last edited by WoollyBee on January 23rd, 2015, 7:16 am, edited 17 times in total.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Can I claim Perpetua please?

The only thing is that I couldn't find the character descriptions. I'm a 40 yo woman, so if you don't think this role would suit me I'm happy to take suggestions for something else - I don't know the book at all.
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

Narrator and PLer reporting for duty. :)

I have a pronunciation guide ready to upload as soon as we have an MC.

Elizabby, I helped Sarah prep the text, and here is a working list of character descriptions we had going (major characters only). Perpetua is a fun role and I think you'd enjoy her.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pv6f2WbatSMjXjEw1BegE0nQGIlxi2kbrSmVsga0_ao/edit
Mary

I'll be away from LV until mid January.
Dramatic reading: Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment
In italiano: Rime
LaLune

Post by LaLune »

May I please claim: The Boatmen, Voice 3, and The Young Daughter?
~Stella

The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni has just been launched.Come join us! Project thread
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

Elizabby wrote:Can I claim Perpetua please?

The only thing is that I couldn't find the character descriptions. I'm a 40 yo woman, so if you don't think this role would suit me I'm happy to take suggestions for something else - I don't know the book at all.
You sure can! Thank you. You can see the character descriptions HERE.
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

HoosierMary wrote:Narrator and PLer reporting for duty. :)

I have a pronunciation guide ready to upload as soon as we have an MC.

Elizabby, I helped Sarah prep the text, and here is a working list of character descriptions we had going (major characters only). Perpetua is a fun role and I think you'd enjoy her.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pv6f2WbatSMjXjEw1BegE0nQGIlxi2kbrSmVsga0_ao/edit
Thanks, Mary!
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

LaLune wrote:May I please claim: The Boatmen, Voice 3, and The Young Daughter?
Yes, you may. The boatman is a male role, but since it's so small, I'll assign it to you anyway. Thank you for your participation.
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

Sarah, before I finish setting this up I see there are two Woman 3's, one on line 116 and another on line 126. Is this an error? Also, line 14 has no character listed. Let me know about those and also re-verify the number of section needed for the MW.
Barry
My Recordings
Darn stuff! I have books to read!
HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

KiltedDragon wrote:Sarah, before I finish setting this up I see there are two Woman 3's, one on line 116 and another on line 126. Is this an error? Also, line 14 has no character listed. Let me know about those and also re-verify the number of section needed for the MW.
Barry, this one's my fault. I prepped the text for those chapters and didn't notice that. I'm changing the second Woman 3 to "Woman at Window."

I think line 14 should be Agnes. Sarah, is this right?
Mary

HoosierMary

Post by HoosierMary »

Oh, and here's my pronunciation guide:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/betrothed_pronunciation.mp3

And here's the list of words and names that are in it:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cCz3A3VK8E4_pCtVekrYToQwcPG7sz7NgJ4TetzIyEs/edit

If anyone sees another Italian word that I missed and you need help with, feel free to let me know either by forum post or by PM.
Mary

alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read the role of The Unknown? My favorite character in the book!
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

HoosierMary wrote:
KiltedDragon wrote:Sarah, before I finish setting this up I see there are two Woman 3's, one on line 116 and another on line 126. Is this an error? Also, line 14 has no character listed. Let me know about those and also re-verify the number of section needed for the MW.
Barry, this one's my fault. I prepped the text for those chapters and didn't notice that. I'm changing the second Woman 3 to "Woman at Window."

I think line 14 should be Agnes. Sarah, is this right?
Thank you! Yes, line 14 should be Agnes.
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

HoosierMary wrote:Oh, and here's my pronunciation guide:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/betrothed_pronunciation.mp3

And here's the list of words and names that are in it:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cCz3A3VK8E4_pCtVekrYToQwcPG7sz7NgJ4TetzIyEs/edit

If anyone sees another Italian word that I missed and you need help with, feel free to let me know either by forum post or by PM.
Thank you, Mary! I've added the guide to the first post.
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

alanmapstone wrote:May I read the role of The Unknown? My favorite character in the book!
Yes, you may. Thank you. :)