One Act Plays and Other Collections - Planning Thread

Plays and other dramatic works
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ktaylor07 wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 12:25 pm I'd like to volunteer to BC the following 1 act play for Collection 14:

Title and author: “The Bloomer Costume; or The Figure of Fun” by Edward Stirling
PD text link: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.aa0010535268&view=2up&seq=84
Link to author on Wikipedia, and death date, if known: (Not Wikipedia but does have correct bio) http://www.victorianweb.org/mt/adaptations/stirling.html Edward Stirling (1809-1894)
* Link to title on Wikipedia
Number of roles (including narrator) this project will have: 6
Original publication date: 1851
The list of characters in your plays so when we have a MW I can set up your sections properly!
Stage Directions
Christopher Cockles, a Showman
Nobby Nick, his assistant
Joseph Jumps, a Tailor – false and fickle
Miss Patty Bailey, a Victim of Circumstance and the Bloomer Costume (listed as “Martha” in the script’s Cast List for some reason)
Miss Eliza Todd, a Baker’s Daughter
This is all the information we need, but you should post it in the thread for the collection itself, not in this thread. :)
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

mightyfelix wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 12:47 pm
ktaylor07 wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 12:25 pm I'd like to volunteer to BC the following 1 act play for Collection 14:

Title and author: “The Bloomer Costume; or The Figure of Fun” by Edward Stirling
PD text link: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.aa0010535268&view=2up&seq=84
Link to author on Wikipedia, and death date, if known: (Not Wikipedia but does have correct bio) http://www.victorianweb.org/mt/adaptations/stirling.html Edward Stirling (1809-1894)
* Link to title on Wikipedia
Number of roles (including narrator) this project will have: 6
Original publication date: 1851
The list of characters in your plays so when we have a MW I can set up your sections properly!
Stage Directions
Christopher Cockles, a Showman
Nobby Nick, his assistant
Joseph Jumps, a Tailor – false and fickle
Miss Patty Bailey, a Victim of Circumstance and the Bloomer Costume (listed as “Martha” in the script’s Cast List for some reason)
Miss Eliza Todd, a Baker’s Daughter
This is all the information we need, but you should post it in the thread for the collection itself, not in this thread. :)
Okay, sorry. I'll move the info there.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've found a one-act farce that might be fun to record in a Zoom meeting. It has 5 male characters, 1 female, and 1 narrator. Here it is in a Google Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTv5SjyAkYHDwojSOwkv-uynzWB_nSH9y1BeOvuQMaocF1Q9Ton-GzgSLqWlfLtc1GmjbnqLvriR03O/pub

I'm willing to oversee it on the Zoom call and edit it afterward (I've done it before with in-person one-act play readings. These things DO require editing afterward - all the chuckles, outtakes, side comments that inevitably come in.)

It says the play runs about 45 minutes, but with setting up volume levels, outtakes, and other delays, it could easily run into the 2-3 hour range to do it. I'd like to do it during the day, on a weekday, maybe 9-12 or 10a-1p EST.

The play takes place in Britain, but only one character has much cockney in his lines. Whoever plays him will have to be halfway reasonable with that accent.

If you're interested in doing this, you'll need to be halfway comfortable with Zoom - setting up your microphone for it and adjusting the volume, perhaps, to try to match others, and being able to read from the script while in Zoom.

If the readers are OK with it, I'm OK having others in attendance; they'd have to mute their mics when we are reading the lines, though, and maybe turn off their video, so we're only seeing the readers so as not to be so nervous. ;)

So... how do I do this? Do I just set a date, take claims, and run it from there? :hmm:

*Cross-posting this in the Zoom Discussion thread.*
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, here's the plan for the Zoom reading:

Wednesday, November 18, 10:00 am Eastern Time (15:00 GMT). We'll read "together" on Zoom, but use headphones (so as not to bleed sound) and have Audacity open to record our own individual parts. Afterward, send those Audacity recordings to me, unedited.

The video recording of Zoom has a bit where I explain what's going on, starting near 14:00 to about 25:30 https://youtu.be/77c5BcfqXR4?t=849

I'm still looking for someone to record Whitewash, Ferguson, and Agatha. Let me know! 8-)

(The Zoom Discussion thread is here, starting somewhere in the middle of our discussion on this project: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=83012&start=150 )

EDIT to add: oh, and we will NOT be recording the video of this meeting. The only people who will see you (if you activate a video camera) are the other readers.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Here's an amusing one-act play from 1870 called "A Photographic Fix"

https://archive.org/details/photographicfixo00hayf

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have started Collection 015.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84428

Thanks, Todd
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Ran across a fun little one act earlier today - I'm not much of an editor and don't quite feel equipped to BC a play myself just yet, but figured I'd post it here in case anyone is on the hunt. Young love with a rather silly spooky story at the centre.

The Ghost Story, by Booth Tarkington (1869 - 1946)
Published 1922

https://archive.org/details/ghoststoryoneactplay00tarkiala/page/n5/mode/2up

George pays a last-minute visit to his dear friend Anna, an exceedingly popular young woman, intending to ask her a very important question...only to be rudely interrupted by a gaggle of her friends and admirers. Perhaps he can scare them off with a ghost story...

10 characters, but most just serve as a peanut gallery of sorts. Could take a little work to edit / assign lines, as there are quite a few spots where multiple characters talk over each other / as a chorus - plus when the lights go out, character names in the script are replaced by descriptions like "A Youth's Voice", "Another Girl's Voice", etc. Although, the scan does have someone's penciled-in notes of which voice could belong to which character, in case you need a guide :wink:

I'd be happy to claim a role and/or PL/DPL as needed if anyone decides to adopt this one.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"Winning a Husband; or Seven's The Main
A Mono-Dramatic Bagatelle"

https://archive.org/details/collectionofplay11londiala/page/n6/mode/1up

This wonderful little one-act play from the early 19th Century involves a rejected former lover trying to win back the nouveau riche man of her dreams by adopting six different courtship personas in the hope that he’ll realise the worth of his original sweetheart.

Jenny: Now then, Don Roderick, I've tried sincerity and constancy, in vain. Let us see what changes and deception can effect.

In its original concept, the play is meant to have the seven "Characters Attempted" personas also portrayed by the original actress playing Jenny, but a Librivox presentation might best be served, I think, by different females portraying each of these parts?

CHARACTERS REPRESENTED
Sir Roderick Strageways, in love with everything romantic, except Miss Jenny Transit
Davy (his Man), no Philosopher, and yet no Fool
Lucinda (Sister of Sir Roderick, and not quite so fond of Romance)
Miss Jenny Transit, a young Lady who exemplifies the mutability of human affairs

CHARACTERS ATTEMPTED
Margaret Macmucklecanny, a learned Lassie from the Highlands [Scottish accent]
Miss Cornelia Clementina Clappergo, a voluminous, and voluble Literary Spinster
Lady Dorothea Dashly a Lady of the Ton, with a Song, accompanied by herself on the Harp
Mrs. Deborah Griskin, a Pork Butcher’s widow, with more airs than graces [London "common" accent]
Mademoiselle Antoinette Marosquieu, a French figurante, with a Pas Seul [French accent]
Bridget Buckthorn, a Rustic Beauty, with a red cloak
Ensign Thaddeus O’Transit, of the Kilkenny flamers [Irish accent]
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

There's one slot left in the current One Act Play collection if you or someone else wants to run it there.

Thanks, Todd
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Hey y’all,
I’m going to start up the Dramatic scene and story collection again. Does anyone have any chapters/short stories they want to record?
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Bookworm360 wrote: March 10th, 2021, 7:07 am Hey y’all,
I’m going to start up the Dramatic scene and story collection again. Does anyone have any chapters/short stories they want to record?
I'd suggest waiting until after the cleanup month. Let's try to focus on getting the old stuff cleared off the table before adding more to it. ;)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yes, I'll be waiting until after March to start this. But people can be thinking of stories and scripts in advance.

(Bookworm360 is going to BC while I MC.)

Thanks, Todd
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

I, for one, would like to include the chapter Barriers Swept Away from Anne’s House of Dreams.
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This collection showed up on the Book Suggestions forum recently:

Diminutive Dramas by Maurice Baring
https://archive.org/details/diminutivedramas00bari/

22 short dramas. Judging by the titles, most of them look to be retellings from mythology or other classics. Could be a great source for the one-act collection.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mightyfelix wrote: May 12th, 2021, 7:11 am This collection showed up on the Book Suggestions forum recently:

Diminutive Dramas by Maurice Baring
https://archive.org/details/diminutivedramas00bari/

22 short dramas. Judging by the titles, most of them look to be retellings from mythology or other classics. Could be a great source for the one-act collection.
Retellings they may be, but some are very funny. Just read Don Juan's Failure.....

Thanks, Todd