One Act Plays and Other Collections - Planning Thread

Plays and other dramatic works
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome, Daniel!

Here's the current project: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42632

You'll want to do your one minute test first, to make sure your setup and tech settings are OK. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Mr Punch's Dramatic Sequels is getting close to the end. Anybody want to think about doing a One Act Play Collection Number 006??

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ToddHW wrote:Mr Punch's Dramatic Sequels is getting close to the end. Anybody want to think about doing a One Act Play Collection Number 006??

Thanks, Todd
Well, Mr Punch is cataloged. http://librivox.org/mr-punchs-dramatic-sequels-by-st-john-hankin/

Unless someone else jumps in, I guess I'll have to volunteer to BC the next One Act Play Collection, #006. Love to share this with someone.

Or maybe instead of being a completely open collection someone has some other ideas? Old discussions here in the One Act Planning Thread mention a Shakespeare collection. (Though see my signature cuz is Shakespeare really Shakespeare?) ChuckW and I talked at one point about a collection of scenes by those unsung heroes of the stage Man-1 and Man-2, Servant-1 and Servant-2, etc - those characters that never even get a name in the play but are still ever so important to moving the play exposition along. Sorta like those poor people that wear red shirts in the Star Trek episodes and don't survive to the first commercial break....

Thanks, Todd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Drive-by posting here:

F. Anstey (Thomas Anstey Guthrie) is a funny author. He wrote "Vice Versa" which, I think, was the basis for the movies "Freaky Friday" and "Vice Versa" (1988). I just found a book in which it looks like all the chapters are little plays: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37597

Just a thought...
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

TriciaG wrote:Drive-by posting here:

F. Anstey (Thomas Anstey Guthrie) is a funny author. He wrote "Vice Versa" which, I think, was the basis for the movies "Freaky Friday" and "Vice Versa" (1988). I just found a book in which it looks like all the chapters are little plays: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37597

Just a thought...
Ooh, I like it. 25 playlets though?? Hmmm. Lottsa opportunities here....

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Wow. This Anstey guy has some great stuff. Including a couple of playlet books from Punch magazine.

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/author?name=Anstey%2C%20F.%2C%201856-1934

My favorite by title alone is "Puppets at Large"

And just when I thought I has SOME chance of getting my Librivox addiction under control! How could you tempt me thus?!

Thanks, Todd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

:twisted:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ToddHW wrote: Well, Mr Punch is cataloged. http://librivox.org/mr-punchs-dramatic-sequels-by-st-john-hankin/
Unless someone else jumps in, I guess I'll have to volunteer to BC the next One Act Play Collection, #006. Love to share this with someone.
Thanks, Todd
No one else jumped in so I'm going to post Collection 006 in a minute. Still love to share!!

EDIT: Posted. Chuck is going to co-BC. Thread is at viewtopic.php?p=859107#p859107

Thanks, Todd
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

How does the selection of the One Act plays work for the collections? Do we wait until whoever decided to BC it puts it up, and then post in the thread?

I'd like to do The Princess in the Fairy Tale - is this an appropriate length piece for this type of collection? Or would this be better as a stand alone piece? Thanks. :)
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ElleyKat wrote:How does the selection of the One Act plays work for the collections? Do we wait until whoever decided to BC it puts it up, and then post in the thread?

I'd like to do The Princess in the Fairy Tale - is this an appropriate length piece for this type of collection? Or would this be better as a stand alone piece? Thanks. :)
The BC, whoever that might be, offers a collection and then various people volunteer, in that thread, to offer and assemble plays of their choice.

As long as a play is one act (so one file) and will come in at less than an hour or so it is fine for the collection.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ElleyKat wrote:How does the selection of the One Act plays work for the collections? Do we wait until whoever decided to BC it puts it up, and then post in the thread?

You might consider a single production offering of all 5 of the one act plays in the book that The Princess came from. That'd be sorta like Mr Punch's Dramatic Sequels that we did between collections 5 and 6 - series of one act plays all by the same author. Of course they could be offered standalone in different collections over time too.

Thanks, Todd
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

Thanks Todd!
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

On one of my Twitter hunts (I post "OnThisDay" snippets with links to LV recordings or authors) I came across "On 16th November 1916, Eugene O'Neill's Bound East for Cardiff premiered in New York." Great, thought I, I haven't got much for that day. Ack, we haven't recorded it :evil:.

Too late for this year, but perhaps in a future One Act Play Collection?

It is to be found in a collection of one act plays. Perhaps some of the others will be of interest too - there are some good writers there.

The Provincetown plays (1921)
https://archive.org/details/provincetownplay00cookrich

ETA In fact, as I delve a little deeper, I discover that Bound East for Cardiff was one of a series of 4 'Glencairn plays', all set on the fictional ship Glencairn and filmed together as The Long Voyage Home. All 4 (and two others) are PD and available here: http://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015012933654

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
midnightstarr

Post by midnightstarr »

Hello,

I would also love to do some one act plays. Do I need to send a sample of my voice, or how does this go? Are there specific ages of the characters that you need. How would we get notification when plays will be coming in?

Sorry for all these questions, since I am new to librivox. I am not new to voiceovers. I work in a radio station right now.

I'm still trying to figure out the minimum age range that I can play. I'm 40 years old, but my voice sounds young.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Here's the current one-act play project: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48622 Basically, to find a project to participate in, scan this section of the forums. The ones with [OPEN] in the subject line need readers. The ones with [FULL] in the subject line are fully claimed, so you can skip over those.

You do not need to send in a voice sample, although we recommend the one-minute test to double check your volume, tech specs, etc.

Many of the plays we do, the coordinator allows some gender-bending. Check out the above project and post in the thread to claim a section. You can ask in there if the plays are gender accurate or not.

When I claim a role, I try to guess what character my voice will fit and claim accordingly. But with the projects which allow cross-gender casting, I've played males before, even though my alto voice is definitely female. ;)

Hope this helps!