Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

Great! I would love to be notified when the parts are available!

Merry Christmas!

Toadoftoadhall
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Sure! :) I'll be sending out PM's when it starts.

(Merry Early Christmas!!)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I like DPLing the finished product, you can put me down for that!
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Thank you, Beth!! :) I will do that!
GilmoreDon

Post by GilmoreDon »

I have a suggestion for a dramatic reading. How about "The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus" by L. Frank Baum? I heard a Librivox reading of it a while back and fell in love with it.
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

The Daredevil by Maria Thompson Daviess

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12931

Roberta Carruthers, daughter of an American soldier and a French marquise, is returning to the home of her father in Tennessee after his death in the Great War. Upon reaching New York she realizes that her Uncle, a woman-hater, has confused the genders of her and her small crippled brother Pierre. In order to please her Uncle and ensure the medical treatment of Pierre, she becomes "Robert" Carruthers, his nephew. From her new identity she secures supplies for France, has many hilarious close-calls, and manages to fall in love with the Governor, whom she also saves from conspiracy.

Main Characters

Roberta, Marquise de Grez and Bye / "Robert" Carruthers / Narrator
Governor Williamson Faulkner
Uncle General Robert Carruthers
Buzz Clendenning
Capitaine, le Count Armond de Lasselles
Patricia Whitworth
Sue Tomlinson

And many others...

I think this would make a great DR. :) I am new to the forum, but have listened for years. So I'm hoping someone who has more experience coordinating these things would be interested. Such great volunteers have made awesome productions here & this would be a fun one. The other Maria Thompson Daviess dramatic reading (The Heart's Kingdom) that is available led me to read the rest of her novels and this one strikes me as being perfect for a DR.
Last edited by LikeManyWaters on February 13th, 2018, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
April
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

GilmoreDon wrote: January 16th, 2018, 3:38 pm I have a suggestion for a dramatic reading. How about "The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus" by L. Frank Baum? I heard a Librivox reading of it a while back and fell in love with it.
Here's the book, for anyone who wants to look. I don't have space to BC another project, but I can help make scripts if anyone is interested in this. I'm on a bit of a Frank Baum kick at the moment! He writes great dialogue and fast-paced books!

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/520

The whole thing is 30,000 words, so not as long as the 22 chapters makes it look! We could do it for Christmas 2018! ;)
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

Hello everyone! I have prepared a script for a dramatic reading of "The Gospel of St. Luke." Although I do not have the time to BC this project myself, if anyone is interested I would be more than happy to send them the script.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You need to say what version you have used before anyone could consider something like this , not all versions are PD.

Anne
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

It is the Douay-Rheims version which was published in 1582.
linny

Post by linny »

GilmoreDon wrote: January 16th, 2018, 3:38 pm I have a suggestion for a dramatic reading. How about "The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus" by L. Frank Baum? I heard a Librivox reading of it a while back and fell in love with it.
This is cute. I'm working on scripts now. Tons of little characters I'm looking to combine. It's VERY narrator intensive but I agree, it will be a fun DR.

Launched: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69135
Last edited by linny on February 6th, 2018, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GilmoreDon

Post by GilmoreDon »

linny wrote: February 6th, 2018, 3:27 pm
This is cute. I'm working on scripts now. Tons of little characters I'm looking to combine. It's VERY narrator intensive but I agree, it will be a fun DR.
:clap: Let me know when it's ready to go. I'd love to do Ak.
benderca

Post by benderca »

LikeManyWaters wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:38 pm The Daredevil by Maria Thompson Daviess

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12931

Roberta Carruthers, daughter of an American soldier and a French marquise, is returning to the home of her father in Tennessee after his death in the Great War. Upon reaching New York she realizes that her Uncle, a woman-hater, has confused the genders of her and her small crippled brother Pierre. In order to please her Uncle and ensure the medical treatment of Pierre, she becomes "Robert" Carruthers, his nephew. From her new identity she secures supplies for France, has many hilarious close-calls, and manages to fall in love with the Governor, whom she also saves from conspiracy.

...I think this would make a great DR. :) I am new to the forum, but have listened for years. So I'm hoping someone who has more experience coordinating these things would be interested. Such great volunteers have made awesome productions here & this would be a fun one. The other Maria Thompson Daviess dramatic reading (The Heart's Kingdom) that is available led me to read the rest of her novels and this one strikes me as being perfect for a DR.
I just took a look at some sections of The Daredevil and I'm intrigued. If we did it as a dramatic reading, I'd be interested in narrating (Roberta, Marquise de Grez and Bye / "Robert" Carruthers / Narrator), unless LikeManyWaters wanted to read that part. I wouldn't want to go solo or BC it, though. Dramatic readings are more fun :D. I wouldn't want to start until after I've finished my current commitments and I'd need to do it gradually. Anybody else interested?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

benderca wrote: February 12th, 2018, 1:36 pm I just took a look at some sections of The Daredevil and I'm intrigued. If we did it as a dramatic reading, I'd be interested in narrating (Roberta, Marquise de Grez and Bye / "Robert" Carruthers / Narrator), unless LikeManyWaters wanted to read that part. I wouldn't want to go solo or BC it, though. Dramatic readings are more fun :D. I wouldn't want to start until after I've finished my current commitments and I'd need to do it gradually. Anybody else interested?
I'd be interested in participating, but I'm not willing to take it on as BC.
benderca

Post by benderca »

mightyfelix wrote: February 12th, 2018, 10:45 pm
benderca wrote: February 12th, 2018, 1:36 pm I just took a look at some sections of The Daredevil and I'm intrigued. If we did it as a dramatic reading, I'd be interested in narrating (Roberta, Marquise de Grez and Bye / "Robert" Carruthers / Narrator), unless LikeManyWaters wanted to read that part. I wouldn't want to go solo or BC it, though. Dramatic readings are more fun :D. I wouldn't want to start until after I've finished my current commitments and I'd need to do it gradually. Anybody else interested?
I'd be interested in participating, but I'm not willing to take it on as BC.
Excellent! That's three...
I could make the scripts -- I already prepared the scripts for the first three chapters and there is a lot of dialogue. Great for a DR.
...and my daughter can read "ten year old Roberta."