Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Salvationist wrote: January 17th, 2021, 9:13 pm I have just launched a dramatic reading of a small collection of Sherlock Holmes stories here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84994

Might anyone be willing to narrate this DR? For this project, I intend to read Dr. Watson. Because Dr. Watson narrates the first short story, I only need a narrator for the other three short stories. There is less narration for these stories than for many DRs, as almost half of the narration in the second and third stories is in the voice of one of the characters, and the fourth story consists almost entirely of dialogue. I plan to make this DR gender correct, and most of the characters are male, so it might be nice to have a female narrator for balance, but I'm also open to having a male narrator if someone is really interested.
I would love to be narrator on this if it is still available. Thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

I am thinking for my next Dramatic Reading that I would like to do The Forsythe Saga. However I realise there is already a recording of this in original book form. I am just gauging if there would be some interest in doing this. I would be the narrator and DPL and editor. I would need a DPL for the narrator parts and the final files after editing which could be a while. What do people think.

Edited to add: I have realised after having a proper look at the text that there is rather a lot of narrator in relation to speech so it would really end up being more like a solo so am not going to do it unless someone would like to sign up to narrate this with the understanding that it would be a big task.
Last edited by wib66 on February 9th, 2021, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

So, The Magic Pudding by Norman Lindsay just became PD in Australia. I know it's been done as a Solo some years ago on LV but I thought that it would make a really fun Dramatic Reading.

First Slice: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sREtZU2CwDNjm9wIkdjvHxDRHd-ypCrw/view?usp=sharing
Second Slice: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J75IsQ_7gy_lJQCqEd-hhsmI5QMY_NOo/view?usp=sharing
Third Slice: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kYv0nan9kha2a07cuEKb0W9heItve9g-/view?usp=sharing
Fourth Slice: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t4Rxoyuasii3S_TX0xvbwEn7_zi0z_db/view?usp=sharing

I converted the script, but wanted to check here if I had done it correctly before attempting to lodge it in the New Projects, but I also wanted to see if anyone would be interested in this project.

Thanks,
Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: February 4th, 2021, 4:02 pm So, The Magic Pudding by Norman Lindsay just became PD in Australia. I know it's been done as a Solo some years ago on LV but I thought that it would make a really fun Dramatic Reading.

First Slice: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sREtZU2CwDNjm9wIkdjvHxDRHd-ypCrw/view?usp=sharing
Second Slice: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J75IsQ_7gy_lJQCqEd-hhsmI5QMY_NOo/view?usp=sharing
Third Slice: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kYv0nan9kha2a07cuEKb0W9heItve9g-/view?usp=sharing
Fourth Slice: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t4Rxoyuasii3S_TX0xvbwEn7_zi0z_db/view?usp=sharing

I converted the script, but wanted to check here if I had done it correctly before attempting to lodge it in the New Projects, but I also wanted to see if anyone would be interested in this project.

Thanks,
Annie
I've never heard of this, but it sounds cute! I only looked at one of the scripts you linked to, but it looks good, at a quick glance. What was the source you used to make these scripts?
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

mightyfelix wrote: February 4th, 2021, 8:15 pm I've never heard of this, but it sounds cute! I only looked at one of the scripts you linked to, but it looks good, at a quick glance. What was the source you used to make these scripts?
Oops, I meant to put the PG link in the original post.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/23625/23625-h/23625-h.htm

Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Nice! It looks great, I'd say. DRs can be a lot of work, but very rewarding. This one is a great one to start out with, because it's not very long. Good luck!

Oh, by the way, when using a Gutenberg text, you should link to the main catalogue entry. It's this page, right here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23625 :)
cjsassy

Post by cjsassy »

Doctor Faustus is an AWESOME play. I teach in high school, and my students love it. I'd be totally up to help out. There are lots of characters.
strangebrooch wrote: August 17th, 2006, 1:21 am
Caeristhiona wrote:Christopher Marlowe (the other Elizabethan playwright :D ).
Hey now! There are a lot of brilliant playwrights from that era (I mean, for one thing, give Ben Jonson his due, because he is awesome).

But I would definitely be up for Faustus. And, in general, for more non-Shakespearean Renaissance drama, although I haven't got time to coordinate it (dissertation-writing, who'd have thought, is an enormous time-suck ;)).

Also, since someone else wanted to do another musical sometime, The Beggar's Opera would be loads of fun, and relatively easy to coordinate since I don't think there's any actual choral singing (there are a couple of duets and trios but that's manageable). Of course, finding the tunes for the songs (since they're all ballad tunes popular in the 18th century) might be a bit of work; there isn't a website for them online (I've looked before), so that'd make life difficult.
cjsassy

Post by cjsassy »

I love Sherlock Holmes and am happy to help if you still need someone!
wib66 wrote: January 19th, 2021, 9:52 am
Salvationist wrote: January 17th, 2021, 9:13 pm I have just launched a dramatic reading of a small collection of Sherlock Holmes stories here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84994

Might anyone be willing to narrate this DR? For this project, I intend to read Dr. Watson. Because Dr. Watson narrates the first short story, I only need a narrator for the other three short stories. There is less narration for these stories than for many DRs, as almost half of the narration in the second and third stories is in the voice of one of the characters, and the fourth story consists almost entirely of dialogue. I plan to make this DR gender correct, and most of the characters are male, so it might be nice to have a female narrator for balance, but I'm also open to having a male narrator if someone is really interested.
I would love to be narrator on this if it is still available. Thanks
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

cjsassy,

The non-canonical Holmes project is running in the DR section of the forum: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=84994

There are a lot of parts still unclaiimed.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Twinkle88 wrote: October 24th, 2020, 12:58 pm I'm getting ready to start up a dramatic reading of Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. It's a children's story about a scared, spoiled little girl being sent to live at her distant relatives' farm -- a place she probably learns to love by the end.

Would anyone like to be the narrator? I'll be ready to start pretty much as soon as someone decides they want to volunteer. There are only 11 chapters and most are not terribly long. Also, the narrator often uses a very conversational tone, which might make it a more enjoyable read.

Also looking for an editor(s)!
YESS! I love that story and didn't know it was PD! Sign me up!
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

WOOHOO!!! Thank you so much!! You've got a good eye; I didn't think anybody'd ever see that post from so long ago. :wink: I'll let you know when everything's set up!
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Thank you twinkle!!!
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
CassiopeiaSparks

Post by CassiopeiaSparks »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: February 4th, 2021, 4:02 pm So, The Magic Pudding by Norman Lindsay just became PD in Australia. I know it's been done as a Solo some years ago on LV but I thought that it would make a really fun Dramatic Reading.

Thanks,
Annie
This does look adorable. I'd be interested in giving it a go, if you decide to lodge it in as a New Project. I'm not terribly experienced (yet) but I learn fast.
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
(The Face of Liberty, H.W. Collingwood)
so mote it be
CassiopeiaSparks

Post by CassiopeiaSparks »

wib66 wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 5:21 pm I am thinking for my next Dramatic Reading that I would like to do The Forsythe Saga. However I realise there is already a recording of this in original book form. I am just gauging if there would be some interest in doing this. I would be the narrator and DPL and editor. I would need a DPL for the narrator parts and the final files after editing which could be a while. What do people think.

Edited to add: I have realised after having a proper look at the text that there is rather a lot of narrator in relation to speech so it would really end up being more like a solo so am not going to do it unless someone would like to sign up to narrate this with the understanding that it would be a big task.
I think it would be a really fun challenge to take on a 'big task' like this. I'm gathering experience, and I'm open to feedback. What I'm saying is, I'm willing to narrate, if you're willing to be patient and somewhat of a mentor as we go.
"They wear a mask which seems like concentrated sunshine, and it comes from within."
(The Face of Liberty, H.W. Collingwood)
so mote it be
wib66

Post by wib66 »

CassiopeiaSparks wrote: February 25th, 2021, 11:04 pm
wib66 wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 5:21 pm I am thinking for my next Dramatic Reading that I would like to do The Forsythe Saga. However I realise there is already a recording of this in original book form. I am just gauging if there would be some interest in doing this. I would be the narrator and DPL and editor. I would need a DPL for the narrator parts and the final files after editing which could be a while. What do people think.

I think it would be a really fun challenge to take on a 'big task' like this. I'm gathering experience, and I'm open to feedback. What I'm saying is, I'm willing to narrate, if you're willing to be patient and somewhat of a mentor as we go.
That would be great as I really love this book. I just need to wait till one of my DR's is off my list then I can start it. I will send you a PM just as a way for me to contact you when its up and running. Will check in with you when I am ready to start just to check you are still good to go. Many Thanks
Michele