Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

DR's are so complicated, it's best that someone who has only been here a month doesn't start one. It sounds like the poster was just looking for a DR of it, not that they wanted to take one on. :shock:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
EnNar

Post by EnNar »

ej400 wrote: May 10th, 2020, 4:52 pm
EnNar wrote: May 10th, 2020, 3:57 pm Dear All,

Trust this finds you well. I am just a common reader. I really love the story Heidi by Johanna Spyri. Is there any chance we could do a DR of that?

Thanks,
Navin (EnNar) :D :lol: :clap: :mrgreen: 8-)
It was last done in 2012.... I wouldn't see a problem with doing it again. Are you planning on BCing or PLing possibly, or just looking for someone else to start it?
Hi! I am still in online school, and I've never done PLing or BCing before, so I was just looking for someone to start it. :D
--- :D ---Navin--- :) ---
High School Junior
All my recordings
----------------------------
EnNar

Post by EnNar »

TriciaG wrote: May 10th, 2020, 4:58 pm DR's are so complicated, it's best that someone who has only been here a month doesn't start one. It sounds like the poster was just looking for a DR of it, not that they wanted to take one on. :shock:
I've been here a year, but still, I agree. Perhaps with more experience...
--- :D ---Navin--- :) ---
High School Junior
All my recordings
----------------------------
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oops - sorry, I misread your start date! :oops:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ej400

Post by ej400 »

TriciaG wrote: May 10th, 2020, 4:58 pm DR's are so complicated, it's best that someone who has only been here a month doesn't start one. It sounds like the poster was just looking for a DR of it, not that they wanted to take one on. :shock:
EnNar wrote: May 11th, 2020, 5:39 am
I've been here a year, but still, I agree. Perhaps with more experience...
TriciaG wrote: May 11th, 2020, 6:12 am Oops - sorry, I misread your start date! :oops:
I was gonna say I thought I recognized Navin from somewhere awhile ago. It's OK though, Tricia. I didn't start my first DR until I had been here for 5 years :shock: But yes, I agree that DR's are complicated and someone should have some MW experience before starting one, or at least co-BC a DR before doing their own.
Seawolf4

Post by Seawolf4 »

Good afternoon, I am confused iim new at this my I minute test has been accepted and I am looking for a starting point.
Something Short. I have been looking at readers wanted and have spent the last couple of days wading through comments, where on the readings do I put my name to accept and to get direction to proceed. I have the info for new recordings etc HELP
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Seawolf4 wrote: June 24th, 2020, 8:11 am Good afternoon, I am confused iim new at this my I minute test has been accepted and I am looking for a starting point.
Something Short. I have been looking at readers wanted and have spent the last couple of days wading through comments, where on the readings do I put my name to accept and to get direction to proceed. I have the info for new recordings etc HELP
You post a request for a particular section, or here in the dramatic works for all the sections by a particular character, in the forum for the specific project in which you are interested. The BC for that project will see your posted request and assign your section(s) in the MW.

Thanks, Todd
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Would anyone be interested in coordinating a dramatic reading of an Andrew Lang fairy book? I am far too inexperienced.
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
Andrewjames

Post by Andrewjames »

Seawolf4 wrote: June 24th, 2020, 8:11 am Good afternoon, I am confused iim new at this my I minute test has been accepted and I am looking for a starting point.
hi seawolf,

look at the thread titles in readers wanted forums. If they say OPEN at the start then there are sections available for readers. Go to the first post in that thread and half way down that post you will see a MAGIC WINDOW. look in there for sections which say OPEN at the end. if theres anything you fancy, click REPLY at the bottom of the PAGE and post a reply asking for that section giving all the info shown on that sections line in the MAGIC WINDOW. Bingo youve got the part!

the process can be quite confusing when u first look at it all! Happy Reading :D

AJ
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I would say that sometimes looking at the most recent posts in a topic also tell you what sections are available because sometimes the BC ( book coordinater) isn't active for a few days and claims will pile in.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Bookworm360 wrote: June 24th, 2020, 9:54 am Would anyone be interested in coordinating a dramatic reading of an Andrew Lang fairy book? I am far too inexperienced.
Is there a particular Andrew Lang book you have in mind? As I recall, there are quite a few volumes, and many stories in each volume. It would need to be treated a bit like a one act play collection, because each story has its own set of characters.

I'm not committing to taking on a project like this right now, though, at least not without having a good look at the text(s) first.

(I'm moving this post to the DR suggestions thread. We can continue the discussion there, if you like.)
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

I was thinking of the Pink Fairy Book to start with. I was wondering: if the stories in it are the same across editions, does it matter which (edition) you use?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I do think you need much more experience before even thinking about co-ordinating a dramatic reading of anything. They are a long term commitment and very difficult to keep track of all the parts.
I think the longest still-running DR we have is over 5 years.
It's a bit like diving - when you first start learning you don't climb to the high board and attempt a dive with a degree of difficulty 10 :D . Well not if you expect to survive.

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I don't think she's offering to coordinate it, but is suggesting that someone else does.

Here is the text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5615

To do the entire book as a DR would be a massive undertaking. A few of the stories have hardly any speaking roles, but some of them would make for a great DR. There are several that would be a good choice for a DR Scene and Story collection, but I don't think there are any plans to launch a new one anytime soon.

It might be worthwhile to choose a selection of Andrew Lang stories, picking and choosing the best ones from all the Fairy Books, for a DR project. But I'm not prepared to take on something like that at the moment.
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Yes, the idea of a compilation sounds grand! And don’t worry annise, I won’t go off the high dive yet! :D Does anybody have any fairy book stories they’d like to hear dramatically?