Plays and other dramatic works
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The Tyranny of the Dark is launched!

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=87013
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

Suggestion for the dramatic works collection: book 2 chapter 12 of Les Miserables where Jean Valjean steals the silver from Bishop Myriel. It is only ~1,100 words, but the preceding and/or subsequent chapters would go well with it. There is not a pre-existing dramatic reading of the book (for understandable reasons), and this particular chapter of Les Mis is actually not too rambly.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/135

I don’t currently have ability to edit audio recordings or I might want to do it myself, but if there was interest and need I could help with PL.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ooh, that's a great suggestion! I might have to consider it.
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

ElizaZ wrote: April 26th, 2021, 6:59 am Suggestion for the dramatic works collection: book 2 chapter 12 of Les Miserables where Jean Valjean steals the silver from Bishop Myriel. It is only ~1,100 words, but the preceding and/or subsequent chapters would go well with it. There is not a pre-existing dramatic reading of the book (for understandable reasons), and this particular chapter of Les Mis is actually not too rambly.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/135

I don’t currently have ability to edit audio recordings or I might want to do it myself, but if there was interest and need I could help with PL.
That sounds lovely! By the way, you can put it in the Dramatic scene and story collection here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=86596
We need some more chapters. :D
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

Bookworm360 wrote: April 26th, 2021, 3:03 pm
That sounds lovely! By the way, you can put it in the Dramatic scene and story collection here:
I mean I totally would but my understanding is that if I suggest a chapter in there I am committing to prep scripts, BC, edit, and everything. I don’t have a computer that allows me to edit (though I could do the other parts) so I was offering up the suggestion if someone else was interested in running with it.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ElizaZ wrote: April 26th, 2021, 4:12 pm
Bookworm360 wrote: April 26th, 2021, 3:03 pm
I mean I totally would but my understanding is that if I suggest a chapter in there I am committing to prep scripts, BC, edit, and everything. I don’t have a computer that allows me to edit (though I could do the other parts) so I was offering up the suggestion if someone else was interested in running with it.
You might consider BCing it, if you would like to try out that aspect of DRs, and then recruit an editor. This thread is a good place to ask for an editor, or maybe in the collection itself. No pressure, but I want you to know that's also an option.
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

mightyfelix wrote: April 26th, 2021, 4:25 pm
You might consider BCing it, if you would like to try out that aspect of DRs, and then recruit an editor. This thread is a good place to ask for an editor, or maybe in the collection itself. No pressure, but I want you to know that's also an option.
I was not aware, thank you so much mightyfelix!

I would love to BC the silverware-stealing chapters from Les Miserables for the dramatic reading collection. I can BC, prep scripts, and PL, just would need an editor. Would anyone be interested?
ElizaZ

Post by ElizaZ »

Thanks everyone, I no longer need an editor; figured out my technology issues.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

We should do a dramatic reading of Fabiola, or The Church of the Catacombs by Cardinal Wiseman. I think it would more bring out the character of the book more. We would need some super dramatic readers for it! It's a fantastic work!
Here's an online link: https://archive.org/details/fabiola00wise
What do you think?
Mozartjr.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Here's the solo version: https://librivox.org/fabiola-or-the-church-of-the-catacombs-by-cardinal-nicholas-patrick-wiseman/

It's a 13.5 hour book, and would be a GARGANTUAN project, only for a very dedicated and experienced DR BC.

I cannot imagine working a dramatic reading off a text scan. It's almost required that it be in text form, in order to make scripts.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, I agree that a scan is never a good idea for a DR. (I made it work once, but there were only two characters involved.)

There is a PG text, though, so that part is taken care of: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62254

A total of 56 chapters is a lot for a DR, although it looks like most of them are short. So if the BC were to combine them, you could end up with maybe 20-something or 30-something sections. That's still a bit much for a DR. My current one has 24 sections, and I was a bit daunted even by that. Another factor to take into account is how many characters are involved and whether or not they could reasonably be double-cast. That's something I wouldn't know without reading the book, which I'm not prepared to do at this time.

I agree that it's certainly ambitious, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done. It does mean it isn't likely any time soon. :wink:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Mozartjr wrote: May 31st, 2021, 1:28 pm We should do a dramatic reading of Fabiola, or The Church of the Catacombs by Cardinal Wiseman. I think it would more bring out the character of the book more. We would need some super dramatic readers for it! It's a fantastic work!
Here's an online link: https://archive.org/details/fabiola00wise
What do you think?
Mozartjr.
Also, I'm going to move this discussion to the DR suggestions thread. :)
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

We should do a Dramatic Reading of The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame! I think that would be a fun one. I'm surprised no one has done that yet :)
Here's a link to the Project Gutenberg page for it: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/289
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Merging this into the Dramatic Reading Suggestions thread (which I have to find...) ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Mozartjr wrote: August 30th, 2021, 2:03 pm We should do a Dramatic Reading of The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame! I think that would be a fun one. I'm surprised no one has done that yet :)
Here's a link to the Project Gutenberg page for it: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/289
I would *love* to script and BC this if somebody who understands the commitment is interested in the narrator position, and somebody in the editor position.
~Lynette * - family visiting, very slow response and PL work until the 22nd.
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)