Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Would I find interest in male readers for The Curse of Capistrano (Zorro)? I'd want it gender accurate on the roles, so there would be only 2 female parts, plus the narrator. I'd need a lot of guys who can pronounce Spanish words halfway correctly. :roll:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

I'd be willing, con palabras faciles. :wink:
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

I would be so interested if you did Curse of Capistrano!! Please let me know if there's any way I can help (although since I'm a girl that would be kind of hard. ;) ) Oh, and I can help a bit with Spanish too, although I'm not a native speaker so if you get someone who is that would be better. :)
Adele

Post by silverquill »

Wonderful suggestion! This would be a lot of fun. I've been told my Spanish accent is good. I'll try to check in on this if you decide to do it.
~ Larry
NOTE: Traveling without internet until March 17
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've been thinking about it for a long time; made the scripts about a year ago.

It's launched! viewtopic.php?t=63518
linny

Post by linny »

I was comparing our catalog with PG and came up with another Burgess title we don't have yet. I BCed a few of his titles as DRs a number of years ago and by the view counts at Archive they seem to be well received. I'll get started on the scripts! Hopefully readers will enjoy the project now as much as they were enjoyed before.

Lightfoot the Deer - http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4670
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

I'll be looking forward to that! I'd thought about doing some of those but never got to it. :)
Adele

Post by SweetPea »

Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
linny

Post by linny »

Rachel, thank you! I thought it was strange we didn't have it.
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Yeah, I've spent a while looking and I'm pretty sure we have all the pre-1923 ones and the ones on Gutenberg. There might be some more someplace, which would have to be cleared by PG . . .
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

While I'm still technically (semi-)retired from Librivox, I thought I'd pass along this really interesting play I found while doing research. It's Ronald Firbank's The Princess Zoubaroff, an extremely campy and Wildian comedy with a surprisingly ahead-of-its-time LGBT subtext. The dialogue is razor sharp and funny, and at times I was kinda surprised Fairbank was able to get away with this. Here's a plot summary from someone at Goodreads:

Enid and Eric have just been wedded, but neither are happy with their marriage. While spending their honeymoon at Enid's school friend's vacation home in Florence, Eric and his very good friend Adrian leave to vacation in the mountains. The women, left alone, are entertained by various friends including Lord Orkish (modelled after Oscar Wilde) and his close friend Reggie (modelled after Wilde's lover Lord Alfred Douglas - although there is a lot of subtext here, nothing is explicitly discussed), Blanche Negres, the author of 'Lesbia, or Would he Understand?', Princess Zena Zoubaroff, who intends to found a convent in Florence (huge lesbian nun subtext here) and Lady Rocktower, whose 11-year-old daughter Glyda "thinks herself in love with a young Italian lieutenant... though... she has scarcely caught a glimpse of his shadow" (100).

And here's the link: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015059404494;view=1up;seq=11
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

FYI, that HathiTrust link isn't available for us that are outside the US, so someone would have to provide text/scripts.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

TriciaG wrote:FYI, that HathiTrust link isn't available for us that are outside the US, so someone would have to provide text/scripts.
Hmm. Didn't know access to that site was limited to US only. It's unfortunately not available anywhere else. Looks like you have to be with an affiliate university to download the entire PDF. :-/ Unfortunately, the school I work for isn't listed. So I might have to see if I can find someone to download it for me.

And now I'm fighting the urge to just do this play on my own. Someone should really talk me out of this.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Welcome back, Chuck. Howsabout we talk you into it instead of out of it?

Thanks, Todd
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm pretty sure Kayray has university access to HathiTrust. If you ask nicely, maybe she'll get it for you. ;)