Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

ToddHW wrote:Welcome back, Chuck. Howsabout we talk you into it instead of out of it?

Thanks, Todd
Thanks Todd! Nice to be back, even at a limited capacity. I'm currently trying to keep my ongoing slate pretty lean, especially with work and a kid and an all-consuming desire not to be crushed under the weight of all my obligations... but gosh, this play is pretty tempting. ;-) You've almost got me convinced (although I suspect I should probably get further along in my solo before starting this one up... right?).
TriciaG wrote:I'm pretty sure Kayray has university access to HathiTrust. If you ask nicely, maybe she'll get it for you. ;)
Too late. My wife also has university access, so I was able to download the PDF just now. If I wind up launching this, I'll probably just post the PDF on my GoogleDrive.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Okay, so I'm thinking about launching The Princess Zoubaroff, but there's a small catch... a few characters intermittently speak in Italian. Not a lot, really... but a few phrases, here and there, which might deter volunteers from joining in. I'm personally fine with phonetic readings (and probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference), but I'm not sure saying that outright would help move things along. Since I don't want to contribute to the glut of dramatic projects that take an inordinate amount of time to get finished (especially consider the extra work load some MCs have to take on to get these done), I'm hesitant to do this one. Any thoughts on this? Should I bother launching this one? Or should I try to find another, more accessible project for everyone to work on?

EDIT: Here's a copy of the play, for those wanting to weigh in.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

If the bits of Italian aren't too lengthy you could have someone fluent do aa adio pronunciation guide,
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
linny

Post by linny »

Please note when a character has a few lines of Italian. I'm one of those that shy away from foreign languages and it's awful to finish a couple of chapters just to discover the next section has lines which fill me with dread and make me procrastinate until the very end of my claim period. :cry:

translate.google is a wonderful tool but it still stresses me and frankly takes all the fun out of it.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just from experience - any project that mentions anything about pronunciation of anything in the first post has far fewer people volunteering and always takes longer. (and in some ways is irritating to listen to - I can often work out what was said if I see it written but not usually if I hear it spoken , and it's worse if it's a native speaker)
But if it's a worthwhile addition and you and all your readers are patient, go ahead :D

Anne
and by the way you are in the wrong thread :D Dramatic readings are books turned into semi plays , and usually much longer,
this is a play - I'd love to make a cover for it looking at the script. I'm not sure my comments are as relevant , as it was meant to be listened to , not read and thus I think it would be written to be understandable even if you didn't speak Italian, he can't have expected all his audience to understand Italian
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Thanks guys! After some consideration, I think I'll give this a shot. I mean, heck... I've already started making lists of possible solo projects, so I suspect I'm back here for good. :-P
PROJECTS
EstherbenSimonides

Post by EstherbenSimonides »

In a couple of days, I'm going to be starting The Martyr of the Catacombs as a DR.
It's about a Roman soldier in charge of eliminating the Christians from the catacombs who finds out what their beliefs actually mean to them and to him.
I'll be going gender-specific, and there are about seventeen roles in all. I'm looking for a narrator, an editor and a DPL. If you'd like to help, please post here or PM me!
Scripts: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B419SsV_TJoXdW11V1RvbEU2TWM
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

I'm looking for an editor/editors (as well as a DPL and Parts PLer) for the future dramatic reading of Jo's Boys, by Louisa May Alcott. It's the last of her Little Women trilogy.
  • There are 22 chapters in all
  • Word count per chapter is roughly 4,000
Please post in the thread if you're interested: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64619
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

this one might be fun to do:
https://archive.org/details/modernmonologues01cook

these are monologues which would generally need one narrator and a speaker.
Carolin
linny

Post by linny »

Carolin wrote:this one might be fun to do:
https://archive.org/details/modernmonologues01cook

these are monologues which would generally need one narrator and a speaker.
I realize the current list of dramatics is lengthy and while I'm not a fan of archive text I just can't seem to pass this one up. I keep looking at it and every time I do I get excited about so...I'm in! I'll get started on prep. Thank you for the suggestion!

EDIT: Launched: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=65891
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

:thumbs: :thumbs:
Carolin
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm toying with the idea of starting a DR of The Princess and the Goblin, by George MacDonald. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/708

If I start this up, it won't be until at least one of my current projects (probably Guy Fawkes) wraps up, but in the meantime, I thought I'd test the waters to see if there's any interest in this story. I'd be willing to narrate, and it would be nice to do a DR of the sequel, too, The Princess and Curdie. If possible, I'd like the same voices for both books for at least Curdie and Princess Irene. Maybe Curdie's parents and Irene's father and grandmother, too. I believe those are the only characters that reappear in the second book.

Any takers?
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

Would anyone be interested in doing a dramatic reading of Nathaniel Hawthorne's short story, "Young Goodman Brown?"
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Suggestion for someone wanting to BC a funny play:

The Clandestine Marriage, by George Colman and David Garrick, was apparently one of Jane Austen's favourite plays! She went to see it several times in London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clandestine_Marriage

It was first performed in 1766, so is clearly PD, but I've only found this copy on Wikimedia, which has the "long s" https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Clandestine_Marriage

PG doesn't have it - is anyone aware of a copy with modern typeface, before I go to the trouble of transcribing the script?
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Can you use the University of Michigan's transcribed copy?

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecco;idno=004800451.0001.000

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox