(Complete)[DR] The Year When Stardust Fell - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
FantasyCargoPantz

Post by FantasyCargoPantz »

Hello! I'm a little new, and I'm not sure if it is 'Kosher' or not to volunteer for more then one role; even if they happen to only have one line. If it is not then please forgive me and take your pick.

I would like to Volunteer for the parts of
68 05-Shopper 1
and
08 09-MissHaskins (Who, as I perused is actually in chapter 6? Is it being assumed that the nurse in chapter 9 is also Miss Haskins?)

Just for the sake of getting parts assigned, if you don't mind a female trying to speak a deeper male part, I would also be free to do a Guard or Defender. If not, no problem :thumbs:
loon

Post by loon »

FantasyCargoPantz wrote: November 28th, 2022, 6:40 pm Hello! I'm a little new, and I'm not sure if it is 'Kosher' or not to volunteer for more then one role; even if they happen to only have one line. If it is not then please forgive me and take your pick.

I would like to Volunteer for the parts of
68 05-Shopper 1
and
08 09-MissHaskins (Who, as I perused is actually in chapter 6? Is it being assumed that the nurse in chapter 9 is also Miss Haskins?)

Just for the sake of getting parts assigned, if you don't mind a female trying to speak a deeper male part, I would also be free to do a Guard or Defender. If not, no problem :thumbs:
Welcome to the project FantasyCargoPantz!

In this dramatic reading it's fine to read multiple roles as long as they are in different chapters. (Other dramatic readings may want every character read by a different reader - you should be able to find what the Book Coordinator wants in the post announcing the project.) Yes, I've happily put you down for the shopper (Mrs. Watkins) in chapter 5 and the nurse Miss Haskins who appears in chapters 9 and 15. In Chapter 15 she is just identified as "the nurse" and the line is "I'm sorry." If you want to read male parts that's fine as well, just choose a character (or characters) not in chapters 5, 9 or 15 and let me know.

The process for dramatic readings is a bit different than reading chapters in a book. Since I'll be adding your voice to a chapter full of varied readers I ask everyone to not apply noise reduction, compression, etc. Your volume can be in a wider range than if you were recording a chapter in a book. If your character has more than one line leave about 5 seconds of room noise between lines. This will let me find the beginning and ending points of a line easily and also provides a good sample of room tone in case I want/need to use noise reduction. When I put on my editor hat my job is to try to make it sound like all the voices were recorded with everyone in the same studio.

You'll upload a file for each chapter - as an example, the file for chapter 5 will have the file name yearwhenstardustfell_shopper_05.mp3

The first file you upload should also include a line for the book credits. In your case you should read
Mrs. Watkins and Miss Haskins - read by FantasyCargoPantz.
That line will end up in the book credits - at the end of chapter 20. If you read more characters I'll have you redo this so all the roles are listed before you read your name. (if you want to change your Catalog Name to your real-world name or some other nickname let me know and I'll ask an admin to change it for you. The Catalog Name applies to everything you read for LibriVox - it isn't set project by project.)

If you have questions just ask.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
FantasyCargoPantz

Post by FantasyCargoPantz »

Seeing the request for "everyone to not apply noise reduction, compression, etc." I left the audio raw, assuming that, or something close to it, was intended.

Defender 1- CHAP 16
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/yearwhenstardustfell_defender1_16.mp3

Ms. Haskins- CHAP 9
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/yearwhenstardustfell_mshaskins_9.mp3

Ms. Haskins- CHAP 15
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/yearwhenstardustfell_mshaskins_15.mp3

Shopper1- CHAP 5
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/yearwhenstardustfell_shopper_5.mp3
loon

Post by loon »

FantasyCargoPantz wrote: December 6th, 2022, 8:20 pm Seeing the request for "everyone to not apply noise reduction, compression, etc." I left the audio raw, assuming that, or something close to it, was intended.

Defender 1- CHAP 16
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/yearwhenstardustfell_defender1_16.mp3

Ms. Haskins- CHAP 9
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/yearwhenstardustfell_mshaskins_9.mp3

Ms. Haskins- CHAP 15
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/yearwhenstardustfell_mshaskins_15.mp3

Shopper1- CHAP 5
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/yearwhenstardustfell_shopper_5.mp3
All 4 uploads are PL OK, but I'll need a re-do of the line you read for the credits. You read "Mrs. Watkins and Mrs. Haskins, read by Sarah Foster" for the credits (and not "Miss Haskins"); I'll need you to re-read the line and say MISS Haskins please. You can upload the extra file as yearwhenstardustfell_watkins_haskins_20.mp3 (and let me know when it is in place.

Additional notes:

Item 1 - Yay! The upgrades at librivox.org are complete (or so I hope) and the site is back online.

Item 2 - Yes, raw uploads are exactly what I wanted. I'll be able to easily remove the noise from your parts in a way that will match what I have for other readers.

Item 3 - The custom in dramatic readings is to leave 5 seconds between lines in your uploaded files. This helps the editor keep track of where another reader will be edited between lines. Your file for chapter 9 didn't have these pauses. That's fine in this case as the file is only 45 seconds long.

Item 4 - You read "Mrs. Watkins and Mrs. Haskins" for the credits (and not "Miss Haskins"); I'll need you to read the line with MISS Haskins for the credits at the end of chapter 20.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Howdy y'all,

Would it be OK with you if I did Paul Hammond in 11 and Grouch2 in 19?

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
loon

Post by loon »

Kalamareader wrote: December 7th, 2022, 8:24 pm Howdy y'all,

Thanks,

Wayne
Do you mean Paul Remington in chapter 11?
I'll put you down for that Paul and Grouch 2.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

loon wrote: December 7th, 2022, 8:30 pm Do you mean Paul Remington in chapter 11?
Of course, I was trying to do it from memory, and that shows you how bad a memory I have. :oops: :lol: :shock: :roll:

Thank you.
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

One small question: Would you like me to have just one "Character intro", "Paul Remington and Grouch 2 read by Wayne Cooke?"
Wayne
loon

Post by loon »

Kalamareader wrote: December 8th, 2022, 4:02 pm One small question: Would you like me to have just one "Character intro", "Paul Remington and Grouch 2 read by Wayne Cooke?"
Wayne - Please read them independently - if you pick up another named character you can do "Paul Remington and Fred Jones read by Wayne Cooke" at that point. I'll have another part of the credits with just the names of readers who voiced roles only identified by "somebody else said." You'll be in both parts of the credits.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

loon wrote: December 7th, 2022, 8:30 pm
Kalamareader wrote: December 7th, 2022, 8:24 pm Howdy y'all,

Thanks,

Wayne
Do you mean Paul Remington in chapter 11?
OOPS!

As noted above I asked to read Grouch 2. I just started to do the two lines for that character and, between them is the line for the narrator: "a woman shouted". I really don't think I am the person to read this. :lol:

Wayne (a male).
Wayne
loon

Post by loon »

Kalamareader wrote: December 9th, 2022, 10:00 pm OOPS!

As noted above I asked to read Grouch 2. I just started to do the two lines for that character and, between them is the line for the narrator: "a woman shouted". I really don't think I am the person to read this. :lol:

Wayne (a male).
If you want to release the part OK - if you want to keep the part that's OK as well. This project is gender agnostic.

Heh - maybe that woman is a heavy smoker and has wrecked her vocal cords.
loon

Post by loon »

P.S.
If you are looking for another part to replace 'Grouch 2' consider Frank Abrams in Chapter 4. Frank has two lines, and when I get those edited in the chapter will be ready to upload. Yes, I'm eager to get that part read!
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Sure, I'll do Frank.
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Wayne
loon

Post by loon »

Wayne - I have everything I need except an 'and'. Because Frank and Paul are both characters with names I want to batch them in a single credit -
Frank Abrams and Paul Remington read by Wayne Cooke
You say an 'and' in the chapter 11 lines but you're using your Remington voice, so that won't edit in unobtrusively. (From the voice I can believe Remington eats, sleeps and dreams COWS and doesn't care a bit about horses.)

I'm marking both of these as PL OK, but I'll still need the combined line for the credits.