Post by Salvationist »

May I read the 2nd Officer?
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I'll sign up to play Ambrosio!

But we do have a problem in act 2, beyond the muddling: it looks like pages 38 and 39 are missing entirely, so we'll need another source at least for them... which might also be useful as a reference when piecing together fragmented words.
A trip to Wikipedia yields a university site with a typed version. Though page numbers seem to be different, they do at least have the expected metadata for establishing the copyright date.

Edit: there are also several versions at Google Books whose page numbers line up with the main source. This one is on average most legible:
https://books.google.com/books?id=ICQJAAAAQAAJ
Last edited by redrun on October 18th, 2022, 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

MW updated.

I had actually not noticed the gap in page numbers - I was too focused on the script text! Thanks you for finding that source.

I took a look at the missing pages. This does include what should be the actual start of Act 3. And there are a few lines here for the Narrator, 1st Shepard, Don Quixote, Sancho, Dorothea, Perez. Unfortunately, there are some muddled words in that new source stuff as well. (It means, for example, that we can't ditch the Archive scan and go just with the typed out version for the entire play.)

I will make a clean version, but in the meantime the below could be used....

Thanks, Todd
Missing pages 38 and 39:

1 Shep. - Oons what do the Bedlams mean; Come Friends, let's bind 'em, and put 'em into the Dark, the Fools are Distracted.

Don Qu. - I'll try how sound your Senses are, Sir Dogbolt.

Fight here, and Don Quixote and Sancho beat 'em all off, then Re-enter Don Quixote and Sancho, strutting.

San. - There's for your •rinning, Rogues, I think I am even with ye now; woons! what a fine thing fighting is, when a Man is sure of having the better of it? And what a delicate difference there is between a To∣ledo-Blade, and a Sheephook? But come, Sir, let's get away for fear they Rally, 'sbud I think I behav'd my self bravely.

Don Qu. - Why troth, if thou couldst but keep thy Eyes open a little better, thou might'st in time come to do something: But a plague o• thee, thou fight'st as a Crab Crawls▪ backwards, for Instead of giving one of 'em a side long thump Just now, if I had not step'd quick aside thou hadst strook my Knighthood o'er the Pate? But however, thou mean'st well, I dare swear, and I believe fight'st as well as thou can'st.
And he's no braver that subdues •n Host,
Then he is that stands still and keeps his Post.
Exeunt.
ACT III. SCENE I. The Inn.
Enter Perez and Dorothea.

Doroth. - AH, Sir, I beg ye for my Mother's sake, or if you e••r lov'd poor Dorothea, when with her Pratling Infant Innocence▪ and springing Beauty in it's early blossom, she us'd to please, by both I do Conjure ye, let me not see my Father.

Perez. - Trust to me; You must to your past crime add a gre••er, by Hateful Disobedience.

Doroth. - Oh! I shall dye with shame; Alas! I left him alone unfriended, warp'd with Age and Sorrow! That good Old Man▪ That kind Indul∣gent Father, I shall never dare, forlo•n as now, to meet his Eyes again! Barbarou•Fernando, that False Cruel Tyrant, pleas'd with the spoils of my dear Virgin Honour, has Ravish'd that blest •ight for ever from me.

Perez. - Had you no Contract from this false Fernando.

Doroth. - In Vows and Oaths a thousand; I was too Artless to desire him more: Heavens! He would swear till he was black in the Face; Dissemble six long hours by the Clock; and when he Vow'd the truth of his Affection, the Potestation• came so fast and thick, so feirce with∣all and Eager in Expressing, that I've been fain to let him kiss and breath for fear the thronging Lies should suffocate him.

Perez. - Yet after all this to pretend to marry Lucinda; Nay, forge a false Letter from her, to her betroath'd Love Cardenio, implying she had deserted him; and then [Now onto top of page 40 in scanned main text] sacrilegiously steal her from a Nunnery, to which she fled for Sanctuary, is such a stain to his Nobility as wants Example▪ and rather than not have Justice done thee, Girl, I resolve the Court shall know it.
Note that becuz of PD concerns, I MAY not include the material above in the final cataloged play. I will make that determination later after I ponder it for a while and further review the statements at the website link redrun provided.
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

What exactly constitutes as stage directions?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Stage Directions means Everything not said by a character. So, in this play:

the intro and outro statements as described in the first posting,
the dedication To Her Grace,
the word "Prologue",
the phrase "Epilogue, by Sancho, riding upon his ass" - this will get put into the Act 5 file eventually,
the Dramatic Personae - even though much of that will get replaced by reader voice credits IF they do them correctly,

and finally ALL the non-actor instructions in the script - using actor full names in the instructions if they are shortened in the script (Sancho rather than San.)

I use the stage directions files as the framework for building the master files that get cataloged.

Thanks, Todd
HelloCentral

Post by HelloCentral »

May I read Vincent, please?

Thanks,

Rick
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Inkell