COMPLETE[PLAY]The Merry Devil of Edmonton by Shakespeare - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you, and I added a note for the Sexton.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:lol: now here is a merry priest in the tavern and poaching. His whole speeches reminded me of a merry drinking song somehow. Except when he gets caught by the Sexton, then all of a sudden he is a bit more subdued :mrgreen:

Well done, Greg, and I think you caught all the lines. All three acts PL ok.

Thank you

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: August 7th, 2022, 3:59 am
:lol: now here is a merry priest in the tavern and poaching. His whole speeches reminded me of a merry drinking song somehow. Except when he gets caught by the Sexton, then all of a sudden he is a bit more subdued :mrgreen:

Well done, Greg, and I think you caught all the lines. All three acts PL ok.

Thank you

Sonia
Thank you, Sonia! It was a fun little part. I felt a Friar Tuck vibe in the part!

I appreciate the quick proofing!

Take care,

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: August 7th, 2022, 4:03 am I felt a Friar Tuck vibe in the part!
definitely, me too

Sonia
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Could I be the Sexton? I played one before in high school in another Shakespeare play haha

Also if I do get it, just to make sure, is the extra Sexton line 'I, Sir' ?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you, and you are correct - "I, Sir?"

Todd
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

May I claim Millisent?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Inkell wrote: August 10th, 2022, 5:04 amHere is the Sexton:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/merrydevilofedmonton_sexton_4.mp3
super, thank you, for a very dramatic performance. 8-) The sexton is really a bit superstitious, well done in the scene where he is scared out of his wits. :thumbs: All PL ok. Only careful with your volume, here you exceed the upper limit of 92 dB a bit (nearly 94 dB). No need to reupload since there are no other errors, I'll make a note for Todd too adjust, but you risk clipping and distorting the sound if you go even louder.

Sonia
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Kitty wrote: August 11th, 2022, 7:10 am
super, thank you, for a very dramatic performance. 8-) The sexton is really a bit superstitious, well done in the scene where he is scared out of his wits. :thumbs: All PL ok. Only careful with your volume, here you exceed the upper limit of 92 dB a bit (nearly 94 dB). No need to reupload since there are no other errors, I'll make a note for Todd too adjust, but you risk clipping and distorting the sound if you go even louder.

Sonia
Would you believe for this one I specifically moved the microphone further away because I knew having to be so animated would make it loud? Am I just doing it wrong? Are you supposed to be less dramatic and just read the lines?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Inkell wrote: August 11th, 2022, 8:01 amWould you believe for this one I specifically moved the microphone further away because I knew having to be so animated would make it loud? Am I just doing it wrong? Are you supposed to be less dramatic and just read the lines?
no of course not !!! The dramatics are what makes it so lively. With a bit of practice though, you can manage your voice to convey "screaming" without shouting overly loud, as well as "whispering" in a volume that is still audible. I never move the microphone at all and do it all with my voice. It will come with practice, don't worry.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Goodness - don't be less dramatic!

If you record with Audacity, you can turn on a feature that makes things that are too loud show in red on the audio trace. That way you can see if you might have just clipped, which will make the sound disturbingly fuzzy on playback and can't be corrected by deamplifying later: you will instantly know from watching as you record if you need to do a shouty line over again being just a little bit further from the mike or a little less loudly.

Thanks, Todd
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

ToddHW wrote: August 11th, 2022, 8:49 am Goodness - don't be less dramatic!

If you record with Audacity, you can turn on a feature that makes things that are too loud show in red on the audio trace. That way you can see if you might have just clipped, which will make the sound disturbingly fuzzy on playback and can't be corrected by deamplifying later: you will instantly know from watching as you record if you need to do a shouty line over again being just a little bit further from the mike or a little less loudly.

Thanks, Todd
I do record with Audacity, I'm not familiar with this feature, Librivox is my first experience with audio recording. It's also hard to watch the audio while recording because it and the text I need to read from don't fit on screen in full at the same time