COMPLETE[PLAY]The Stolen Heiress, by Centlivre - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

well I was inspired to record my Lavinia this evening, now that I've heard so many great performances already from this play :9: I loved her character, she knows her mind, and her ingenious confession to get out of marriage was really an act of bravery for those times.

Hope you like it. In Act 2 there is one misappropriated speech due to a typo, it belongs to Larich, not Lavinia: "This rather shou'd be Don Sancho's Son——his Words and Habit speak him most learned——I am the Person, pray let me be bold to crave your Name." I'll make a note in the MW so we won't forget.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/stolenheiress_lavinia_1.mp3
Recording time: 2:17 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/stolenheiress_lavinia_2.mp3
Recording time: 2:34 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/stolenheiress_lavinia_3.mp3
Recording time: 0:35 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/stolenheiress_lavinia_4.mp3
Recording time: 3:34 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/stolenheiress_lavinia_5.mp3
Recording time: 0:15 min.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Perfect. Well hussied. All acts PL OK.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 10:16 amPerfect. Well hussied. All acts PL OK.
hussied ! well compared to what father and uncle are calling me in that play, this is still a compliment I guess. :lol:

thanks

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thought you’d like that comment. Lavinia actually only has to act hussi-ish (hussi-ish being anything other than being demure and doing whatever Dad says) when really cornered into the arranged marriage. And she really is a fighter, willing to say whatever is necessary to get her true love.

Shameful that situation happened - I guess the idea of using a foreign country as the location of such a play is so the English audience can say “well we don’t treat our woman that way” when of course they actually did. Jane Austen saw Centlivre plays (known from her letters) and wrote her books about about the same marriage arrangements - in England. And with the things the women had to do to have any choice over who they ended up with.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 3:25 amThought you’d like that comment. Lavinia actually only has to act hussi-ish (hussi-ish being anything other than being demure and doing whatever Dad says)
oh yes, she is definitely only playing demure :lol: btw I noticed there were many sentences that were not marked as "aside" but seeing what was being said, I used an "aside" voice, because I really felt it was an aside and not spoken aloud.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yes, I heard the asides when I PL’d and I agreed with your interpretation.

I’ll be a bit out of touch for a few days - no MW, but maybe forum. Carry on!

Thanks, Todd
Dawnsvoice

Post by Dawnsvoice »

Here is Act one, Lucasia (7:11):

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/stolenheiress_lucasia_1.mp3

Even though I always do noise reduction, I am not sure how to totally eliminate all background noise - what settings do people normally use or is there something I am missing?

Thanks, Dawn
kcollett

Post by kcollett »

I would like to voice Rosco, if I may.
HelloCentral

Post by HelloCentral »

I'd like to play Larich, please.

Rick
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Dawnsvoice wrote: June 25th, 2022, 1:44 pmHere is Act one, Lucasia (7:11):
Even though I always do noise reduction, I am not sure how to totally eliminate all background noise - what settings do people normally use or is there something I am missing?
:shock: oh yes, indeed this is a lot of background noise. Sounds like heavy raining at the time. Did you close the window during the recording ?

However, with Audacity I managed to clean it all out, do you use the same program ? What are you exactly doing to clean ?

For Audacity I did it the following way:

> select a small portion where you don't speak and where you can hear the background noise (usually at the end of your file there is a good sample)
> go to Effect in the upper menu
> go to Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile.
My settings are: Noise reduction: 12 / Sensitivity: 6 / Frequency smoothing: 0 (make sure your numbers are not too aggressively high, otherwise you may distort the sound)
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - again: Noise Reduction
> now select OK

On your recording, as the noise was quite excessive, I ran this function twice and the end result was quite a clear recording. Let me know whether it worked for you as well.

Two more edits needed:

> for the voice credit, please always include the full description, as you can see in the Magic Window. Here: "Lucasia, Daughter to Gravello, in Love with Palante, read by..." On the other hand, the whole librivox disclaimer can be cut out, in stage plays this is the narrator saying this for each act.

> at 7:04: "end of act 1" - this can also get cut, it's also the narrator who speaks this

As to the play-acting, Lucasia is lovely in her despair, I really enjoyed this one. Looking forward to our dialogue together, our characters compliment each other very well, your Lucasia the softer, pining one, while my Lavinia is more the rebel.

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

kcollett wrote: June 25th, 2022, 4:06 pmI would like to voice Rosco, if I may.
hello Kjetil (is that name Norwegian ?) and welcome to the dramatic fun :) I see this is your first acting role for librivox, so here are a few "special rules", different from the regular projects.

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which here should be: "Rosco, Servant to Count Gravello, read by [your name]"

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. It may not be necessary to read the whole play, but it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role. ;)

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting :mrgreen:

4) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [sits down]), also leave 2 seconds of pause there, because our editor later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his master file and it's helpful if he has enough space to fiddle with

Apart from that: have fun !!! Looking forward to your performance, and thank you for joining the cast. Rosco is yours.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

HelloCentral wrote: June 25th, 2022, 9:19 pmI'd like to play Larich, please.
hey Rick, happy to hear you in another play. You have the doubtful honour of playing my nasty father :evil:

Thanks (I guess) :lol:

Sonia
kcollett

Post by kcollett »

Kitty wrote: June 26th, 2022, 2:59 am
kcollett wrote: June 25th, 2022, 4:06 pmI would like to voice Rosco, if I may.
hello Kjetil (is that name Norwegian ?) and welcome to the dramatic fun :) I see this is your first acting role for librivox, so here are a few "special rules", different from the regular projects.

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which here should be: "Rosco, Servant to Count Gravello, read by [your name]"

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. It may not be necessary to read the whole play, but it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role. ;)

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting :mrgreen:

4) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [sits down]), also leave 2 seconds of pause there, because our editor later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his master file and it's helpful if he has enough space to fiddle with

Apart from that: have fun !!! Looking forward to your performance, and thank you for joining the cast. Rosco is yours.

Sonia
Thanks! And yes, my name is Norwegian.

Kjetil
Dawnsvoice

Post by Dawnsvoice »

Hi Sonia. I use Audacity and do the noise reduction same as you as well as no open windows, etc. so perhaps it is more to do with my microphone or something else. In any case, I made the changes and the time is now at 6:49.

Thanks, Dawn
Dawnsvoice

Post by Dawnsvoice »