LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Indianreader wrote: May 17th, 2022, 6:51 am
Here is the Duke's file!
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/whosebody_dukeofdenver_09.mp3

Thank you
Thanks for doing the Duke for us!! He is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Indianreader

Post by Indianreader »

LCaulkins wrote: May 21st, 2022, 4:34 pm
Indianreader wrote: May 17th, 2022, 6:51 am
Here is the Duke's file!
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/whosebody_dukeofdenver_09.mp3

Thank you
Thanks for doing the Duke for us!! He is PL OK :thumbs:
Thank you!

Will it be too much to ask for multiple small parts like section 3 and section 9?
(The constable and the taxi driver)?
Yoganandh
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Will it be too much to ask for multiple small parts like section 3 and section 9?
(The constable and the taxi driver)?
[/quote]

We aren’t doubling parts at this point, but if you are looking for roles to read, click on the “roles open” link in Lynette’s signature line and you will find some! :D
tjperkins

Post by tjperkins »

Hello. I'm interested in taking a crack at the Freddy character, though I don't know how good my british accent is. I wouldn't attempt much of one, as I'm sure it would sound terrible. Maybe if I watch a bunch of Jeeves and Wooster in preparation -- that always subconciously seeps into my pronunciation. I was talking Australian earlier this year, after watching a bunch of Bondi Rescue on youtube!

I could alternatively go for the "man who opens the door", if you're interested in a less risky proposition.
Ted Perkins - Longtime Librivox listener, reading volunteer since early 2022
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Freddy is a fun character - he’s yours, with or without a British accent! :D Whatever you are comfortable with is fine.
tjperkins

Post by tjperkins »

Ciufi wrote: June 1st, 2022, 8:35 am Freddy is a fun character - he’s yours, with or without a British accent! :D Whatever you are comfortable with is fine.
Great - thanks, I'll give it a go. (Just confirming, I see it's already marked in MW.)
tjperkins

Post by tjperkins »

tjperkins wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 10:35 am
Ciufi wrote: June 1st, 2022, 8:35 am Freddy is a fun character - he’s yours, with or without a British accent! :D Whatever you are comfortable with is fine.
Great - thanks, I'll give it a go. (Just confirming, I see it's already marked in MW.)
Hi I've recorded the Freddy lines and am working on editing them. But there's one line that confuses me:

Freddy: “Chap with property out there. He belongs here. He was goin’ to meet Levy on Tuesday. He’s afraid those railway people will get in now, and then it’ll be all U. P.”

I don't understand what the "U. P." at the end of that sentence means. I confirmed it's in the Gutenberg transcription. There's no original PDF in Gutenberg for me to check against. I also found the same "U. P." in an audiobook version on youtube. But I couldn't find any other explanation of what this means in anywhere in the book. Not that I've read every word. But U. P. doesn't occur anywhere else, and nothing in the vicinity of any discussion of railways could be abbreviated or related to U. P. Nor could I find an explanation online of what this might mean in general. What would make a lot of sense logically in the text is for it to be "then it'll be all up". Does anyone have an original hardcopy of this book or some other way of checking on this line?
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Hmmm.... I just chased after it also, with no luck. I think I had vaguely assumed that it might be Union Pacific, as an offhand reference to the American railroad interests represented by Millikan, but that seems a stretch. Well, Freddy is a little muddled in his speech at the best of times.

At any rate, since that is how it is written in our reference, please do read it as U.P.
tjperkins

Post by tjperkins »

Ciufi wrote: June 12th, 2022, 11:32 am Hmmm.... I just chased after it also, with no luck. I think I had vaguely assumed that it might be Union Pacific, as an offhand reference to the American railroad interests represented by Millikan, but that seems a stretch. Well, Freddy is a little muddled in his speech at the best of times.

At any rate, since that is how it is written in our reference, please do read it as U.P.
That had briefly occurred to me as well, and now that you mention it again and explain the reasoning more, it makes some sense. My local library has a copy of the book, and I might get that out before finalizing my audio edits. Then again, who knows from what source that book was printed? Multiple publishers have reprinted this book, for all I know, from the Gutenberg text. Still, if I saw it as "up" then I would be convinced that Gutenberg has an error. In any case, I recorded it both ways, and will leave in the "U. P." version unless I turn up some compelling evidence to change.
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

:thumbs:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Jo
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thank you!
tjperkins

Post by tjperkins »

OK cool, thanks. I guess it does mean Union Pacific then. Or even if not, at least I'm sure what I should be reading!
tjperkins

Post by tjperkins »