COMPLETE: Whose Body, by Dorothy Sayers -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thank you! In MW.
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

To Ciufi:
  • First, when I post in this thread, should I click on the first "reply" button, the one on page 1, or should I go to the last page and reply to the final post?
  • Second, I notice that the script for Lord Peter in Chapter 2 is corrupt at one point. I have checked the Gutenberg original, where his lordship says, "You cannot ask a British-born jury to convict any man on the authority of a probable opinion" The words "on the" have been left out of my copy of the script: "You cannot ask a British-born jury to convict any man authority of a probable opinion."
I think I should read the text as shown on the Gutenberg website. Yes?

chymocles
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

chymocles wrote: December 6th, 2021, 5:57 pm Lord Peter for Chapter 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/whosebody_peter_1.mp3

Cheers,

chymocles
A splendid Lord Peter! Thank you! Chapter 1 is PL OK :thumbs:

If you would like to expand Lord Peter's name to "Lord Peter Wimsey" for the voice credit on the next recording, that would be great. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Ciufi wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 1:13 pm Sounds good . In the meantime, I have loaded my narrator chapter one into the MW .
Hey, Ciufi, I've reverted ch. 1 narrator to "See PL Notes" - there were a couple spots of narrator tucked inside Lord Peter paragraphs. Here's where these lines should be inserted on the narrator track:

@ 3:22, added onto the front of “Mr. Alfred Thipps was a small . . . "
He added a flat silver matchbox to his equipment, glanced at his watch, and seeing that it was already a quarter to three, ran briskly downstairs, and, hailing a taxi, was carried to Battersea Park.

a stand-alone line inserted @ 2:42
said Lord Peter, looking at himself in the eighteenth-century mirror over the mantelpiece,
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

chymocles wrote: December 7th, 2021, 7:18 am To Ciufi:
  • First, when I post in this thread, should I click on the first "reply" button, the one on page 1, or should I go to the last page and reply to the final post?
  • Second, I notice that the script for Lord Peter in Chapter 2 is corrupt at one point. I have checked the Gutenberg original, where his lordship says, "You cannot ask a British-born jury to convict any man on the authority of a probable opinion" The words "on the" have been left out of my copy of the script: "You cannot ask a British-born jury to convict any man authority of a probable opinion."
I think I should read the text as shown on the Gutenberg website. Yes?

chymocles
Reply off the final post, please. Good call on the error.. i am surprised by it, as I did use the Gutenberg version. It must a cut and paste error on my part, or an inadvertent snip while adding in the names. Sorry! But yes, please use the Gutenberg version. Thanks!
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

LCaulkins wrote: December 7th, 2021, 7:51 am
Ciufi wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 1:13 pm Sounds good . In the meantime, I have loaded my narrator chapter one into the MW .
Hey, Ciufi, I've reverted ch. 1 narrator to "See PL Notes" - there were a couple spots of narrator tucked inside Lord Peter paragraphs. Here's where these lines should be inserted on the narrator track:

He added a flat silver matchbox to his equipment, glanced at his watch, and seeing that it was already a quarter to three, ran briskly downstairs, and, hailing a taxi, was carried to Battersea Park.

said Lord Peter, looking at himself in the eighteenth-century mirror over the mantelpiece,
Thanks. It is ready for a spot check. Hope your keyboard is feeling better!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Ciufi wrote: December 7th, 2021, 11:53 am
LCaulkins wrote: December 7th, 2021, 7:51 am

Thanks. It is ready for a spot check. Hope your keyboard is feeling better!
Nicely done. You would never know that later bit was added later, it's so smoothly connected.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh! And nothing has fizzled or exploded, so I guess it has recovered from its bath! :shock:
~Lynette * -
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Assuming that I did the right thing as explained in my previous post, I have completed Lord Peter's part in Chapter 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/whosebody_peter_2.mp3

chymocles
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thank you! In MW.
deongines

Post by deongines »

I am interested in reading the Mrs Thipps lines. I've never read lines in a play so it might take me a bit to figure it out.
Turning it over in your mind will not plough the field.
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thank you! Please don't hesitate to ask if you run into questions, and we will be happy to help you out. There are a few instructions at the beginning of each linked chapter that should get you going. Putting you in now.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

chymocles wrote: December 7th, 2021, 4:33 pm Assuming that I did the right thing as explained in my previous post, I have completed Lord Peter's part in Chapter 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/whosebody_peter_2.mp3

chymocles
Your Lord Peter really is marvelous - loved the body in a bath bit!

Somehow, one of your technical specs has slipped off the setting LibriVox requires. Your track comes up at 48,000 Hz for the Sampling Rate, causing Checker to fail it. So, this needs to be fixed.

If you are using Audacity, this is a simple fix. (I’m only familiar with that software, so if you use a different recording platform, perhaps you can find a similar mechanism.)

Open the file, and on the left side of the track, there will be a drop-down menu arrow at the right side of the track name. In that menu, open the “Rate” selection, and choose 44,100 Hz.

(Note that doing this will change the length of time on the track a little bit.)

Now you can export the file to mp3 again and then upload the edited file. Thanks so much!
~Lynette * -
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hint: there is an even faster way to do this. With the file open in Audacity, all the way at the bottom left of the screen is a box titled Project Rate (Hz) which displays the current sampling rate. Use the dropdown to select 44,100 rather than 48,000, then reexport the file. :)
Jo
chymocles

Post by chymocles »

Wait. I'll check the Hz reading.

Lord Peter chapter 3 can be found here: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/whosebody_peter_3.mp3

Duration: 14:37

chymocles