COMPLETE[PLAY]The Freaks by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: August 4th, 2021, 5:18 amShaking in fear, Todd
no need to fear, I just had a listen to Tilney and he sounds very much like a busybody as well :lol: this guy likes to hear himself talk. But excellently done (for a guttersnipe, not bad at all). You exceeded expectations, yet again. :thumbs:

Acts 1 and 3 PL ok

However (you will not get off that lightly...) I have a serious complaint to make for Act 2.

> at about 0:25: (p. 81) please insert another "Morning" here. It's said once to Glyn and once to the Ball-Jennings, and you won't get away with NOT greeting Sir Norton and his lady ! :evil: this is inadmissible !

I expect a very respectful "morning" to be inserted at this spot !

thanks

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

A very respectful "morning" inserted as suggested. (I had already waved my hat at you, probably serviley tugged at my forelock too, but had remained silent. Now, I speak.)

Ready for spot PL.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Miruvor88 wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 7:03 pmCrazy long stage directions for act 2, Ready for PL!
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_narrator_2.mp3 01:42:10
:shock: this is insane !!! I think you broke the record for Stage directions this time. Seeing that this act has three natural breaks with even a curtain falling shortly at that point, I guess Todd will probably really divide it up in three parts, so well done in including "Part 3" as well :thumbs:

Wonderfully narrated, nicely in character quite often ;) I like that. And as far as I can see, you didn't miss a line or a character name :clap:

I feel really bad for being picky here, but I found a very small word that is wrong...and it does change the meaning slightly. I'm not even sure, Todd may cut it out in the end, but maybe it would be best for completeness' sake to include it first, if you wouldn't mind:

> at 39:39: (p. 112) "Ronald, to Rosa, confidentially" - you say "confidently"

excellent job, and I really hope for you (and me) that Act 3 will be significantly shorter :shock:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: August 4th, 2021, 7:55 amA very respectful "morning" inserted as suggested. (I had already waved my hat at you, probably serviley tugged at my forelock too, but had remained silent. Now, I speak.)
mhm, yes, this is more like it. I can mark it PL ok now, you're lucky. :mrgreen:

Thanks !

@Linda: I am sorry, but I got a Pinero overdose from the stage directions now, I need to eat something and then visit my parents...your PL will follow tomorrow ! It's not forgotten and I'm looking forward to it. :)

Sonia
lindapwebster

Post by lindapwebster »

alanmapstone wrote: August 4th, 2021, 3:28 am The Normal English pronunciation is BORN-muth rather than mouth.
Lambeth should be LAM-buth rather than beth.
Hope this helps. Always happy to help with English place names which are often pronounced differently than they are spelt :D
Thank you, Alan! Yes, between going to university in Boston (where so many places in the area are named after English towns) and being a big fan of British shows, I've learned it's always a good idea to check! And as you may know, to add to the confusion, in the Northeast U.S., the pronunciations are unique in their own way, sometimes differing even from the original English. :shock: But if anyone ever needs help pronouncing Spanish-derived West Coast names, I'm your gal! :wink:

-Linda
lindapwebster

Post by lindapwebster »

Kitty wrote: August 4th, 2021, 8:07 am
@Linda: I am sorry, but I got a Pinero overdose from the stage directions now, I need to eat something and then visit my parents...your PL will follow tomorrow ! It's not forgotten and I'm looking forward to it. :)

Sonia
No worries at all! I still owe you Act 3, for which I apologize for the delay! And I hope you recover well from all those stage directions PL...you're a champ! :clap:

-Linda
Miruvor

Post by Miruvor »

Kitty wrote: August 4th, 2021, 8:04 am
Miruvor88 wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 7:03 pmCrazy long stage directions for act 2, Ready for PL!
:shock: this is insane !!! I think you broke the record for Stage directions this time. Seeing that this act has three natural breaks with even a curtain falling shortly at that point, I guess Todd will probably really divide it up in three parts, so well done in including "Part 3" as well :thumbs:

Wonderfully narrated, nicely in character quite often ;) I like that. And as far as I can see, you didn't miss a line or a character name :clap:

I feel really bad for being picky here, but I found a very small word that is wrong...and it does change the meaning slightly. I'm not even sure, Todd may cut it out in the end, but maybe it would be best for completeness' sake to include it first, if you wouldn't mind:

> at 39:39: (p. 112) "Ronald, to Rosa, confidentially" - you say "confidently"

excellent job, and I really hope for you (and me) that Act 3 will be significantly shorter :shock:

Sonia
I don't mind at all! :D

Frankly I'm elated that I only missed one major goof in a nearly 2 hour read! It's amazing, the brain's ability to straight nope what the eyes see and fill in what it thinks should be there :lol:

If page count is anything to go by, Act 3 should be much shorter.

Just to be sure, though, quick question: Do I need to include anything of the last couple pages, starting at the bottom of 224 with "Printed in Great Britain"?
:thumbs: Mira
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

You do not need to read any of that extra material. You will have done more than enough already by that point!

Do, however, say "End of The Freaks: An Idyll of Suburbia, by Arthur Wing Pinero." after you say "End of Act 3."

Thank you, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lindapwebster wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 8:38 pmMrs. Herrick Act 2 is now ready.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_mrsherrick_act2.mp3
this was absolutely brilliant and perfectly PL ok, Linda :9:
My lines aren't quite so funny this act, but I'm really looking forward to hearing Alan's "Macbeth"! :D
poor Sir Norton has a hard time getting his lines spoken over the mayhem. Nobody appreciates him the way they should. :evil:
And of course your Lady Ball-Jennings has plenty of opportunity to be at the top of her pompous, affronted form. Poor Dorothy is quite cowed by her, you imperious thing... :mrgreen: I see why Todd is so traumatized. :lol:
:lol: well, yes I noticed with your Mrs Herrick that mostly is very suave, but each time she speaks to her sister, she indeed is much more subdued and insecure. I guess they had a difficult childhood together. :mrgreen: Your complex characterization here is excellent. :thumbs:

Highly entertaining. Can't wait to hear us all stitched together !!!

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Miruvor88 wrote: August 4th, 2021, 1:36 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_narrator_2.mp3 01:42:10
Frankly I'm elated that I only missed one major goof in a nearly 2 hour read! It's amazing, the brain's ability to straight nope what the eyes see and fill in what it thinks should be there :lol:
oh you can be proud of this feat, your level of accuracy is nearly impossible to top. :thumbs: Act 2 is also now PL ok, thanks !

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I would like to play the role of James Eddowes (Section 2). Jim :thumbs:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great. And we are now Full.

Thanks, Todd
lindapwebster

Post by lindapwebster »

Kitty wrote: August 5th, 2021, 2:39 am
:lol: well, yes I noticed with your Mrs Herrick that mostly is very suave, but each time she speaks to her sister, she indeed is much more subdued and insecure. I guess they had a difficult childhood together. :mrgreen: Your complex characterization here is excellent. :thumbs:

Highly entertaining. Can't wait to hear us all stitched together !!!

Thank you

Sonia
Thank you so much! :9: Yes, I do think there is some kind of "history" there.... I found that Mrs. Herrick is a lot like myself in many ways. :wink:

Indeed, I can't wait to hear the final version! Todd has quite a Herculean task ahead of him, but I'm sure he's masterful at it! :D

-Linda
lindapwebster

Post by lindapwebster »

Finally, Mrs. Herrick, Act 3, is complete:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/freaks_mrsherrick_act3.mp3

What fun this was, even if I spent much of the time being a nervous wreck, what with trying to play hostess and appease my titled (entitled?) sister and brother-in-law. :lol: I think Mrs. Herrick will probably ask Collingridge for something a little stronger than tea after all her house guests depart....

-Linda
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

If Collingridge is a good maid she has already been slipping a little something extra in her tea while such guests are present...

Thanks, Todd