[OPEN] Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand, trans. by Brian Hooker-mtf

Plays and other dramatic works
Trutter00

Post by Trutter00 »

I’d like the stage directions for all acts if they’re still available.
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

sonofcoltas wrote: June 14th, 2021, 1:28 pm uploaded Christian act 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cyranodebergerac_christian_1.mp3
duration 03:37
Thank you!

Mike
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Trutter00 wrote: June 14th, 2021, 1:36 pm I’d like the stage directions for all acts if they’re still available.
Thanks for volunteering! Stage directions are all yours.

Mike
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Trutter00 wrote: June 14th, 2021, 1:36 pm I’d like the stage directions for all acts if they’re still available.
By the way, I've adjusted the Magic Window to reflect that the stage directions for the Dramatis Personae will be in its own separate section. It will just be the beginning front matter (title, author, translator -- not the Preface), followed by the list of characters, each followed by the words "read by...". These will just be placeholders for the actual readers' voice credits (be sure to include your own). Don't worry about all the additional parts at the bottom of the page -- I will add whatever voice credits we have for them. Hope this is clear enough, but ask if you're confused.

Mike
sonofcoltas

Post by sonofcoltas »

MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

sonofcoltas wrote: June 16th, 2021, 1:56 pm uploaded Christian act 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/cyranodebergerac_christian_2.mp3
duration 05:10
Thanks!

Mike
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Hello Andrew,
PL Okay for Christian, Acts 1 and 2.

Thanks,
Lora
Trutter00

Post by Trutter00 »

MManolakes wrote: June 16th, 2021, 9:43 am
By the way, I've adjusted the Magic Window to reflect that the stage directions for the Dramatis Personae will be in its own separate section. It will just be the beginning front matter (title, author, translator -- not the Preface), followed by the list of characters, each followed by the words "read by...". These will just be placeholders for the actual readers' voice credits (be sure to include your own). Don't worry about all the additional parts at the bottom of the page -- I will add whatever voice credits we have for them. Hope this is clear enough, but ask if you're confused.

Mike
I looked at the magic window and it looks like Dramatis Personae is listed twice. Are you doing that or did you want me to read it? Are we sticking to gender, or can I read Le Bret?
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Trutter00 wrote: June 16th, 2021, 6:30 pm

Mike
I looked at the magic window and it looks like Dramatis Personae is listed twice. Are you doing that or did you want me to read it? Are we sticking to gender, or can I read Le Bret?
I'm listed for the Dramatis Personae and each of the 5 acts because I'll be editing and compiling the finished file for each section. I won't be reading the narration; that will be for you, if you're reading the stage directions. I can't have you reading Le Bret if you're also reading the stage directions. It's not a matter of gender, I just need different readers doing those parts.

Mike
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Hello Joanna,
I had a bit of trouble following the 1st Page in Act 1, as you added other voices-like the Crowd-throughout. That is fine--it was just me! I believe it is PL Okay and Mike will be able to edit the parts accordingly.

Thanks,
Lora
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

ADKreader1122 wrote: June 17th, 2021, 9:46 am Hello Joanna,
I had a bit of trouble following the 1st Page in Act 1, as you added other voices-like the Crowd-throughout. That is fine--it was just me! I believe it is PL Okay and Mike will be able to edit the parts accordingly.

Thanks,
Lora
Thanks! I thought Mike had said to err on the side of reading extra crowd voices--clearly he would not want to keep my readings of all the crowd lines, but I figured I would read most all of them and let him figure out which ones to keep. But I see that this makes it rather hard to PL. Sorry.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
Trutter00

Post by Trutter00 »

MManolakes wrote: June 16th, 2021, 9:34 pm

Mike
I'm listed for the Dramatis Personae and each of the 5 acts because I'll be editing and compiling the finished file for each section. I won't be reading the narration; that will be for you, if you're reading the stage directions. I can't have you reading Le Bret if you're also reading the stage directions. It's not a matter of gender, I just need different readers doing those parts.

Mike
That’s fine, I’ll stick to the stage directions, I’m assuming that doesn’t include actor direction. If you need fill in voices for those one liners, I’m happy to help.
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

JoannaHoyt wrote: June 17th, 2021, 10:40 am
ADKreader1122 wrote: June 17th, 2021, 9:46 am Hello Joanna,

Thanks,
Lora
Thanks! I thought Mike had said to err on the side of reading extra crowd voices--clearly he would not want to keep my readings of all the crowd lines, but I figured I would read most all of them and let him figure out which ones to keep. But I see that this makes it rather hard to PL. Sorry.
Joanna, you're doing exactly as I asked -- and it's the way this play is written that is going to make it so hard for Lora to PL and me to edit. Act 1 especially is a monster, with this huge crowd scene and so many lines are just random crowd noise. Act 4 will also be difficult, with many lines given to "A Cadet" or "Another" without specifying which cadet gets the line. Unfortunately, I think the only way to approach this is to collect more lines that are needed from our readers, and hope that enough lines have been read to cover everything. Thank you to all, especially Lora, for your patience and understanding.

Mike
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

Trutter00 wrote: June 17th, 2021, 10:46 am
MManolakes wrote: June 16th, 2021, 9:34 pm

Mike
That’s fine, I’ll stick to the stage directions, I’m assuming that doesn’t include actor direction. If you need fill in voices for those one liners, I’m happy to help.
Since the voice of the stage directions is going to be ubiquitous throughout the play, I want to keep it distinct from our character voices, so for now, I'd prefer that you didn't read any of the small character parts. Stage directions include basically everything in italics -- the scene descriptions, the movement on stage, and the words describing how a character is speaking. When the direction precedes what a character says, read the character name and the direction together.

You might want to listen to some other plays on LibriVox to get an idea how this is done with stage directions, if what I'm describing isn't clear enough.

Mike
sonofcoltas

Post by sonofcoltas »