COMPLETE[PLAY]The Princess and the Butterfly by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here is Act Four for Sir George (to accompany Act Three posted earlier tonight):

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_sirgeorge_4.mp3

Take care,

Greg
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: April 20th, 2021, 8:01 pmHere is Act Three for Sir George:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_sirgeorge_3.mp3
I tried to be more aware of the extra time for stage directions. Please let me know if this act is closer to the mark.

Here is Act Four for Sir George (to accompany Act Three posted earlier tonight):
thank you, Greg for these wonderful 2 performances. 8-) Both acts are straight PL ok. And yes, the silences are now a much better length to edit. I think you forgot it in two places, but on the whole it was much better. :)

And I am particularly thrilled to hear your 3x "I love you", which sound suitably rather passionless and therefore insincere, which in this case is a good thing as it has to contrast highly with Edward Oriel's fervent and passionate proclamation in the last act. Excellent job.

Thank you !

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 3:39 am
GregGiordano wrote: April 20th, 2021, 8:01 pmHere is Act Three for Sir George:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_sirgeorge_3.mp3
I tried to be more aware of the extra time for stage directions. Please let me know if this act is closer to the mark.

thank you, Greg for these wonderful 2 performances. 8-) Both acts are straight PL ok. And yes, the silences are now a much better length to edit. I think you forgot it in two places, but on the whole it was much better. :)

And I am particularly thrilled to hear your 3x "I love you", which sound suitably rather passionless and therefore insincere, which in this case is a good thing as it has to contrast highly with Edward Oriel's fervent and passionate proclamation in the last act. Excellent job.

Thank you !

Sonia
Thank you, Sonia! What are the odds! I just prepared a PM asking about the editing spacing suggestions, and your post popped up! (I deleted the PM). I'm a creature of habit but now that I understand what you need I will continue to present files this way going forward. Thank you!

I appreciate your comments, as always. I"m glad I hit the right note on those three "I love you" lines. Your comment made my day!

Take care,

Greg
Last edited by GregGiordano on April 22nd, 2021, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
gracecremeens

Post by gracecremeens »

Can I claim Catherine, Act 1?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

gracecremeens wrote: April 25th, 2021, 3:38 pm Can I claim Catherine, Act 1?
Certainly. Thanks.

Please take the one minute test first. It is not really an audition but an equipment check. Don't want to record something long before you make sure that your equipment is set up properly to give us files we can use!

I have a short summary for the important special rules in drama; here goes:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which should be something like: "Catherine, read by XXXX" (whatever you use for your reader name)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) You prepare and upload a separate file for each Act that your character is in. (Note - the section numbers change as I move stuff around on the MW, so remember character name, not section numbers.) Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
gracecremeens

Post by gracecremeens »

Here is Catherine, from Act 1! This is my first recording so please let me know if I did this incorrectly! Thank you!!
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_catherine_1.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: April 24th, 2021, 6:34 amHere is Act Five for Sir George:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_sirgeorge_5.mp3
ah I see Sir George finally found the right emotions to say his "I love you" (to the right person) :mrgreen: an excellent contrast to what he offered to the Princess. :thumbs: Your French is also very good, no problems there. I loved the whole performance. Thank you so much, Greg !

This is PL ok as well.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

gracecremeens wrote: April 25th, 2021, 5:14 pmHere is Catherine, from Act 1! This is my first recording so please let me know if I did this incorrectly! Thank you!!
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_catherine_1.mp3
hello Grace and welcome to the drama group :D as a first recording of a dramatic role this was quite good. You managed to present Catherine with quite some composure fit for a lady-in-waiting.

There are a few things to correct still, I will walk you through it since this is your first recording. Most of it would have been ironed out by a one-minute-test but since you didn't get feedback on that one yet, I will do it here with this file. I hope you are using Audacity, since that is the program I am most familiar with, so I can give you a step by step.

So: no need to re-record, simply reopen your file and do the following adjustments:

1) the volume is only 67.2 dB, which is very low. We accept between 86 and 92, preferably as close to the average 89 as possible. So you would have to amplify your file by about 20-22 dB. In Audacity this is how it's done:

> highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 20 in the first upper box (called: "amplification dB") - change nothing in the lower box !
> press ok

you'll see the waves are much more pronounced now.

2) the background noise is very high and now after amplification it's even louder. This can get cleaned by Audacity, but it would be good to trace the source of the noise (traffic, fridge, fan ?) and try to avoid it from the start. The best is always to choose the quietest spot in the house ;) To noise-clean, do the following:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Reduction
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Reduction
> now select OK

This process can be repeated if the noise is still too loud.

3) then there are 3 small corrections for your text. To insert new material in your file, the easiest process is probably to record the new sentences in another Audacity window, then noise-clean and amplify that part and copy/paste the lines into the correct slots in your masterfile.

> at about 0:08: (p. 11) please insert: "Lady Ringstead."

> at 0:22: (p. 26) "Mrs Sabiston" – you say "Mister"

> at 0:55: "end of act 1" – this can be cut, it will be spoken by the narrator

Just reupload with the exact same filename, then the old file will be replaced by the new one.

Thank you, and if there are questions still, don't hesitate to ask :)

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: April 26th, 2021, 2:52 am
GregGiordano wrote: April 24th, 2021, 6:34 amHere is Act Five for Sir George:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessandthebutterfly_sirgeorge_5.mp3
ah I see Sir George finally found the right emotions to say his "I love you" (to the right person) :mrgreen: an excellent contrast to what he offered to the Princess. :thumbs: Your French is also very good, no problems there. I loved the whole performance. Thank you so much, Greg !

This is PL ok as well.

Sonia
Thank you, Sonia! I admit I was very happy that Sir George was able to be honest with his emotions in the end, and presumably find happiness. He definitely was one of the most engaging characters I have worked with. Thank you for coaching me through this play!

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: April 26th, 2021, 3:34 am Thank you for coaching me through this play!
I wasn't aware you needed much coaching :D I'm glad you liked the character !

on to many new plays hopefully...

Sonia
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

-
Last edited by RobMarland on December 8th, 2023, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Marland reader section | website
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd