[OPEN:PLAY] The Dream by Joanna Baillie - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
gauguin
Posts: 42
Joined: March 8th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Post by gauguin » July 9th, 2018, 11:04 am

ChuckW wrote:
July 9th, 2018, 10:42 am
gauguin wrote:
July 9th, 2018, 7:43 am
Kitty wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 11:39 pm

thank you for stepping in while I was asleep, Chuck :)

Sonia
Can't wait to hear what Jerome will sound like against the Prior and Osterloo :D
I can't either! I loved your performance and am eager to hear the whole thing. :-)
:P

Foon
Posts: 457
Joined: May 10th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Post by Foon » July 11th, 2018, 8:42 am

May I claim 1st Peasant, 1st Servant, and 1st Executioner?
Foon

Fancy a fairy tale? Swanhilde (two sections left!) || Feeling heroic or chivalrous? Junior Classics Vol. 4 || Looking for a laugh? Biscuits and Bills, a one-act comedy!
_____________
My catalog page

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11639
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 11th, 2018, 10:10 am

Foon wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 8:42 am
May I claim 1st Peasant, 1st Servant, and 1st Executioner?
haha the first of everything ;) why not ? I'll sign you up, thanks !
so now we're having two female executioners :shock: poor Osterloo :?

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11639
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 11th, 2018, 10:14 am

:shock: I only just now noticed !!!! Sorry about that. I will PL them first thing tomorrow morning !

Sonia

ChuckW
Posts: 2509
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » July 11th, 2018, 10:45 am

Foon wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 8:42 am
May I claim 1st Peasant, 1st Servant, and 1st Executioner?
Yay! Thanks Foon! :-)
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie): 1 medium-sized role, 8 very small roles
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors): Numerous sections available

MAJOR MICROPHONE PROBLEMS. MAY NOT BE ABLE TO RECORD FOR A WHILE.

ChuckW
Posts: 2509
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » July 11th, 2018, 10:46 am

Kitty wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 10:14 am
:shock: I only just now noticed !!!! Sorry about that. I will PL them first thing tomorrow morning !

Sonia
Haha. No worries. It's not like this is a starring role or anything. :-P
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie): 1 medium-sized role, 8 very small roles
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors): Numerous sections available

MAJOR MICROPHONE PROBLEMS. MAY NOT BE ABLE TO RECORD FOR A WHILE.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11639
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 12th, 2018, 1:17 am

ChuckW wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 10:46 am
Haha. No worries. It's not like this is a starring role or anything. :-P
ah don't say that. Morand has quite some good sentences in here. And you played him really really well. :thumbs: He is quite a soft-spoken person, for a soldier. I liked the whole performance a lot. :9:

Acts 1 and 2 are already PL ok, although Act 2 is a bit under 86 dB. In any case, Acts 1 and 3 also are only about 86 dB, so in the end you may have to amp to volume a little bit on it all.

I have a couple of corrections noted down for Act 3:

> at 1:01: (p. 161): “Pardon me, Lady, that I forgot you in your extremity” – you only say “forgot your extremity” which gives it a strange Freudian-slip twist :lol:

> at about 2:00: (p. 162): missing lines: “Fear, dost thou call it ! Set him this moment in the field of battle, with death threatening him from a hundred points at once, and he would brave it most valiantly.

thanks !

Sonia

Foon
Posts: 457
Joined: May 10th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Post by Foon » July 12th, 2018, 9:08 am

Foon

Fancy a fairy tale? Swanhilde (two sections left!) || Feeling heroic or chivalrous? Junior Classics Vol. 4 || Looking for a laugh? Biscuits and Bills, a one-act comedy!
_____________
My catalog page

ChuckW
Posts: 2509
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » July 12th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Thanks Foon! :-) Very nicely read.

We might finish this project yet.

I’ll update the MW when I get home.
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie): 1 medium-sized role, 8 very small roles
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors): Numerous sections available

MAJOR MICROPHONE PROBLEMS. MAY NOT BE ABLE TO RECORD FOR A WHILE.

ChuckW
Posts: 2509
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » July 12th, 2018, 12:33 pm

Kitty wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 1:17 am
ChuckW wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 10:46 am
Haha. No worries. It's not like this is a starring role or anything. :-P
ah don't say that. Morand has quite some good sentences in here. And you played him really really well. :thumbs: He is quite a soft-spoken person, for a soldier. I liked the whole performance a lot. :9:

Acts 1 and 2 are already PL ok, although Act 2 is a bit under 86 dB. In any case, Acts 1 and 3 also are only about 86 dB, so in the end you may have to amp to volume a little bit on it all.

I have a couple of corrections noted down for Act 3:

> at 1:01: (p. 161): “Pardon me, Lady, that I forgot you in your extremity” – you only say “forgot your extremity” which gives it a strange Freudian-slip twist :lol:

> at about 2:00: (p. 162): missing lines: “Fear, dost thou call it ! Set him this moment in the field of battle, with death threatening him from a hundred points at once, and he would brave it most valiantly.

thanks !

Sonia
Thanks Sonia. Glad to hear it, especially since I only begrudgingly took this role (but took it in the interest of finishing this up). I’ll post the corrections soon.
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie): 1 medium-sized role, 8 very small roles
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors): Numerous sections available

MAJOR MICROPHONE PROBLEMS. MAY NOT BE ABLE TO RECORD FOR A WHILE.

ChuckW
Posts: 2509
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » July 12th, 2018, 7:04 pm

You know, I even remember misreading that "your extremity" line and thinking to myself, "What on earth is Joanna Baillie getting at here???" I feel like such a dope.

Anyway, here's the corrected file.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_morand_3.mp3
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie): 1 medium-sized role, 8 very small roles
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors): Numerous sections available

MAJOR MICROPHONE PROBLEMS. MAY NOT BE ABLE TO RECORD FOR A WHILE.

WiltedScribe
Posts: 1614
Joined: April 7th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Post by WiltedScribe » July 12th, 2018, 7:52 pm

Hey Chuck,

Here is Mr. Osterloo for you. I have a cold right now and thought about holding off recording until it abated, but I figured the temporarily darker timbre of my voice suits the ambiguity of the character.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_osterloo_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_osterloo_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_osterloo_3.mp3

I hope it's okay, and the performance is passable. This is my first day recording after almost a month-long absence from the mic. :oops:
Tomas Peter

Currently signed up for:
The Goddess: A Demon | Amends for Ladies | Hamilton | The Dream | Adelgitha | Dave Brings Home a Wife | Psyche

ChuckW
Posts: 2509
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » July 12th, 2018, 8:39 pm

WiltedScribe wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 7:52 pm
Hey Chuck,

Here is Mr. Osterloo for you. I have a cold right now and thought about holding off recording until it abated, but I figured the temporarily darker timbre of my voice suits the ambiguity of the character.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_osterloo_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_osterloo_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/dream_osterloo_3.mp3

I hope it's okay, and the performance is passable. This is my first day recording after almost a month-long absence from the mic. :oops:
I rather like this performance, actually. The rough, haggard quality of your voice suits the character quite well. (And yeesh, summer colds are the absolute worst. Just shook off something similar myself a couple of weeks ago. Hope you're getting better).

Welcome back, by the way. :-)
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie): 1 medium-sized role, 8 very small roles
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors): Numerous sections available

MAJOR MICROPHONE PROBLEMS. MAY NOT BE ABLE TO RECORD FOR A WHILE.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11639
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 13th, 2018, 2:38 am

ChuckW wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 7:04 pm
You know, I even remember misreading that "your extremity" line and thinking to myself, "What on earth is Joanna Baillie getting at here???" I feel like such a dope.
:lol: I had that problem already as well. Always feels strange after someone points out the error.

Anyway, Morand is now completely PL ok. Thanks

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11639
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » July 13th, 2018, 2:52 am

8-) well done, Foon. All three are PL ok. Your executioner even sounded very empathic. I guess he was more humane than most of these monks in this play. :?

Only one small note for the First Peasant:

> at 1:40: before “Hist hist..." – here you forgot to leave 2 seconds of pause, even though it was a separate quote. But no need to reupload as there were no other errors. Our editor will manage to cut and paste it out for once with a bit of fiddling.

Thanks !

Sonia

Post Reply