COMPLETE[PLAY]The Notorious Mrs. Ebbsmith by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bluechien wrote: April 12th, 2018, 4:19 pm Act II:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/notoriousmrsebbsmith_agnesebbsmith_2_128kb.mp3
21:28
after this, Mrs. Ebbsmith will probably take a short rest, as she smokes a thin cigarette against her doctor's orders.
ah you really need an out-time after this performance. The meeting with St.Olpherts will be so great once assembled. I can really picture Tomas in this role of the débauché. And you give him good here, Eva. Well done ! Such a pity she starts to love this Cleeve, who, I think, is not really worth it. :lol:

On the whole, everything perfect and nothing missing. I'll mark it PL ok already. Your French is really good :thumbs: I would have two words that you said wrong, though it's not your fault, it was a typo in the text, they forgot the accent on the é. It's optional, you can decide if you want Agnes to be perfect in French or not ;)

> at 8:51: Les ordres que je vous ai donnés, repetez-les. - so it should be /donnay/ not /don/

> at 18:02: Un petit chale noir tricoté - also here /tricotay/ instead of /tricot/

> at 19:57: more temperate, more impassive. [Beating her brow.] Never! never! - if you correct anyway, you could leave out a bit more space for the stage directions, but if you decide against correcting, it's ok as it as well

thanks !

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Kitty, thanks for those great finds -- :thumbs:

Mrs. Ebbsmith's french is pretty decent (especially for an impoverished reformer of the people :D) so I don't want to make her look too bad. Can you spot PL the french and the space when you have a moment? Thank you!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/notoriousmrsebbsmith_agnesebbsmith_2_128kb.mp3
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bluechien wrote: April 13th, 2018, 7:57 am Mrs. Ebbsmith's french is pretty decent (especially for an impoverished reformer of the people :D) so I don't want to make her look too bad. Can you spot PL the french and the space when you have a moment? Thank you!
yes great, these sound accurate now :thumbs: I'm happy I said something then. Yes you are right, Agnes probably would have had quite a literate upbringing, I'd say.

definitely PL ok now.

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Eva D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bluechien wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 10:41 am Act 3 for PL ... 4 coming soon! (20 minutes)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/notoriousmrsebbsmith_agnesebbsmith_3_128kb.mp3
WOW ! you're really getting better with each act, Eva. :thumbs: Agnes is drifting more and more into mad despair now that she realizes the true nature of Mr Cleeve and that the trap of the duke has succeeded to ensnare them. I really cannot believe she is still in love with this guy :roll:

But all the emotions are wonderfully and believably acted out. It must have been hard for you to "come down" after this trip. Excellent job and no errors at all.

PL ok. Thanks !

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Thank you so much, Sonia! Alas, it's all the declining arc of a crescent after Act 3; that was, after all, Mrs. Ebbsmith's Hour. But here's the last one, tying up loose ends and kicking L-Dog to the curb.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/notoriousmrsebbsmith_agnesebbsmith_4_128kb.mp3 4:30

(A million thanks again to Nemo for reading lines and reading them so well, and so many times ... :9: )

Now, off to Ketherick for a rest among the purple heath and sheepy moors. Fortunately, there's a laptop there in case of PL fixes.
Eva D
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

bluechien wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 6:18 pm Thank you so much, Sonia! Alas, it's all the declining arc of a crescent after Act 3; that was, after all, Mrs. Ebbsmith's Hour. But here's the last one, tying up loose ends and kicking L-Dog to the curb.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/notoriousmrsebbsmith_agnesebbsmith_4_128kb.mp3 4:30

(A million thanks again to Nemo for reading lines and reading them so well, and so many times ... :9: )

Now, off to Ketherick for a rest among the purple heath and sheepy moors. Fortunately, there's a laptop there in case of PL fixes.
Thank you.

Todd
Nuzzi51

Post by Nuzzi51 »

Hey Guys,

I know I have a terrible reptation for orphaning roles, but I'd like to be considered for Lucas or the reverend, i've got a great set up in my new place and I;ve been dying to throw my hat in the ring again Please let me know.

Thanks a ton

Tina
Tina
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Nuzzi51 wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 9:01 pm Hey Guys,

I know I have a terrible reputation for orphaning roles, but I'd like to be considered for Lucas or the reverend, i've got a great set up in my new place and I;ve been dying to throw my hat in the ring again Please let me know.

Thanks a ton

Tina
You mentioned Lucas first, so I gave you that. Good luck.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bluechien wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 6:18 pm But here's the last one, tying up loose ends and kicking L-Dog to the curb.
L-Dog :lol: took me a bit to understand what you meant ;) but yeah, you gave him good in your final tirade :thumbs: At least she goes out with a bang. Excellently portrayed from first to last. And now you deserve a rest from the Lucasses of this world. Hopefully in your next play, you'll get a hubby with more oomph :mrgreen:

PL ok. Thanks for this great performance, Eva. :9:

Sonia
Nuzzi51

Post by Nuzzi51 »

ToddHW wrote: April 24th, 2018, 4:03 am
Nuzzi51 wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 9:01 pm Hey Guys,

I know I have a terrible reputation for orphaning roles, but I'd like to be considered for Lucas or the reverend, i've got a great set up in my new place and I;ve been dying to throw my hat in the ring again Please let me know.

Thanks a ton

Tina
You mentioned Lucas first, so I gave you that. Good luck.

Thanks, Todd

OOOOhhhh Perfect. I like lucas. I feel him... Is and accent ok? British??
Tina
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I was recently asked by a reader for advice on how to act as a particular character. My answer: “I very honestly leave choice of accents and characterizations in any part up to the reader. One of the key pleasures of running a play here at Librivox is finding out what the various readers have decided is right. Usually some unexpected things, and always different than I had originally pictured the play on stage myself. So that the completed play is not my vision of what should be, but a truly new and exciting collaborative creation.”
My standard answer to that question.

Thanks, Todd
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Kitty wrote: April 24th, 2018, 1:21 pm
bluechien wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 6:18 pm But here's the last one, tying up loose ends and kicking L-Dog to the curb.
L-Dog :lol: took me a bit to understand what you meant ;) but yeah, you gave him good in your final tirade :thumbs: At least she goes out with a bang. Excellently portrayed from first to last. And now you deserve a rest from the Lucasses of this world. Hopefully in your next play, you'll get a hubby with more oomph :mrgreen:

PL ok. Thanks for this great performance, Eva. :9:

Sonia
L-Dawg would have been clearer.

I really appreciate you and Todd doing this play. The Duke, Gertrude, Sibyl, Agnes and Lucas, to name a few, all have wonderfully-rounded roles that are a pleasure to try to live up to. :thumbs: (Look at that character arc he gives Gertrude -- who would normally be a toss-away character. And Sibyl is empress of the world, throwing Sanford and Lucas into deep shade, despite her short stage time.)
Eva D
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I am glad you enjoy these. I am delighted to have found Pinero and his plays recently and having you all bring them so vividly to life.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Dr Kirke uploaded, in MW for PL. I may remove the taking snuff noises....

Thanks, Todd