Dramatic Reading (DR) Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » February 13th, 2018, 5:34 pm

I think before anyone gets too excited, you need someone to commit to BC the project - that's usually the limiting factor. I personally have three fully scripted novels and a short story collection ready to launch - but no space!

I think the Good Practice guide suggests getting a BC, a narrator and an editor lined up first, before trying to get up a new DR.
Dram Read: Story of the Amulet by E Nesbit
Play: The Mikado - Yum-Yum, Ko-Ko and 2 male chorus parts open!
Books: Christ's Parables - 5 chapters left!
Wishing Horse of Oz - NEW!

FULL: W&D Martyr Holy Spirit Canterbury Tales Ozoplaning

LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters » February 13th, 2018, 8:59 pm

benderca wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Excellent! That's three...
Actually that’s still two. :) I should have been clearer. I currently have zero experience doing any recording. Still learning “the ropes” here. Hopefully someone who knows how will be interested. The most I could hope to do eventually is PL and I haven’t learned that yet either. (It’s NEVER quiet enough around our house for recording) LOL

But it is a great book... just wanted to suggest it...
Last edited by LikeManyWaters on February 13th, 2018, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 13th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Backing up Beth's statement - attempting to cast a project at this stage is very premature . And more likely to discourage a potentential BC than encourage one :D
Until such time that an experienced BC has decided that they want to spend 2 or 3 years committed to the project it does not exist. DR are more difficult than a normal project and take longer to complete and require a long term commitment from BC, editor, and proof listener.

Anne
Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. - Hugh McGuire.

benderca

Post by benderca » February 14th, 2018, 4:39 am

Elizabby wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 5:34 pm
I think before anyone gets too excited, you need someone to commit to BC the project - that's usually the limiting factor. I personally have three fully scripted novels and a short story collection ready to launch - but no space!

I think the Good Practice guide suggests getting a BC, a narrator and an editor lined up first, before trying to get up a new DR.
No worries. I have more than enough to do right now and am in no hurry. I just thought I'd express my interest to narrate (maybe to motivate a potential BC to look at it). I read it half way through, and as an actor and an avid e-book listener, I think it would be more interesting as a DR than a solo. The characters are diverse and interesting. I understand that a solo project would be much less complicated and time-consuming, but for me it's not so much fun. I enjoy the collaborative projects and I'm here for the fun! So if any BC wants to pick up this project, I'm in! (I'm sure I'll want to BC a book eventually, but as of now, I can't commit the time).
annise wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 10:05 pm
Backing up Beth's statement - attempting to cast a project at this stage is very premature . And more likely to discourage a potentential BC than encourage one :D
Until such time that an experienced BC has decided that they want to spend 2 or 3 years committed to the project it does not exist. DR are more difficult than a normal project and take longer to complete and require a long term commitment from BC, editor, and proof listener.

Anne
I thought expressing my willingness to narrate and make scripts would motivate rather than discourage a potential BC (less work for her/him). While I don't get the logic, I'll take your word for it.

I think this book is worth doing. I'd never heard of Maria Thompson Daviess before, but from what I've read so far in this book, I wouldn't want her works to fade into the abyss of forgotten literature. I also don't mind doing it gradually (I'd have to if I were to narrate). I also don't mind reading other parts if someone else wanted to narrate. If someone wants to read this book solo, then I could help PL. I'm just throwing a general "I'm interested in participating" vibe out there for someone to pick up on.
TJ

silverquill

Post by silverquill » February 14th, 2018, 11:35 am

Books done as dramatic readings are great, of course. Eventually, I'd like to undertake one. But, they are HUGE, and never go smoothly. I've participate only as a reader, but small parts and big parts. There is one I read a major role for that is still being pieced together after more than three years. I think that can be a discouraging factor in getting volunteers.

I've done couple of pieces in the one act play collections, just to get taste of the process, and have stepped in to do some editing in other projects. It just takes a lot of hands and voices to get the final production completed.

Obviously the BC is the key person and needs, as Annise said, to make a long-term commitment It is a challenge to pick up one of the projects in the middle. From my observation, it seems a lot of projects bog down with the narrator. People who don't understand the enormity of the task often just get overwhelmed, it seems. Often two DPLs are needed -- one for the individual parts and one for the completed chapters and work. Ah, and the editing is a huge commitment as well. All told, there is more work on the production end of a DR than there is in the reading, or at least as much. Oh, did I mention that we can't do anything without our tremendously dedicated MCs? :clap:

So, to launch a DR, a BC needs to take the reins and line up the major tasks. I think it is fine to put this out there to stimulate interest and offer to help in various ways. That might make a potential BC more willing to take it on.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 14th, 2018, 2:57 pm

It's always hard to adjust posts to suit everyone , I'm well aware that the more experienced know that DRs are very long term projects, but when I first joined , I wanted to see something I had helped with in the catalogue , not sitting around in the forums for 3 plus years, so I try to encourage enthusiastic less experienced ones to be involved in something giving early satisfaction and then they can get some experience and maybe then run a DR themselves.
But there are no rules about what newbies read - and we get all levels of experience signing on, and enthusiasm is a great thing :D

Anne
Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. - Hugh McGuire.