[COMPLETE][Short Stories]The Black Cat Vol. 02 No. 8 May 1897 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 21st, 2021, 4:34 am

The Black Cat Vol. 02 No. 08 May 1897, by Various

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/black-cat-02-08-may1897-by-various/
The Black Cat (1895-1922) was a monthly literary magazine, publishing original short stories, often about uncanny or fantastical topics. Many writers were largely unknown, but some famous authors also wrote original material for this magazine.<br>
This is the eighth issue of volume 2 with the following five short stories:<br>
The Passing of the Polly Ann / The Obsequies of Ole Miss Jug / A Modern Goliath / The Colby Girls / Trans-Saharan Station 15-M (Summary by Sonia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/TheBlackCatV02no06189703/The Black Cat v02no08 (1897-05)/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

Claiming is restricted to one section per reader, to have the maximum of different voices in this project.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section [Number] of The Black Cat Vol. 2 No. 8 May 1897. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Black Cat Vol. 2 No. 8 May 1897. Section [number] [Title & author]."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section [number]."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Black Cat Vol. 2 No. 8 May 1897."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: blackcat0208may1897_#_various_128kb.mp3 where # is the section number. (e.g. blackcat0208may1897_1_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
I'm away on holidays from Monday to Thursday. No PL feedback during that time. Thank you for being patient.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 21st, 2021, 5:49 am

And the next Black Cat is launched !!!

Most of you will know already, as in previous issues, please only one section per reader, to have the maximum of voices in this project. :9:

Sonia
I'm away on holidays from Monday to Thursday. No PL feedback during that time. Thank you for being patient.

JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 » November 21st, 2021, 5:58 am

Could I please have section 4, The Colby Girls? Thank you. :D

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 21st, 2021, 6:05 am

JulieB3 wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 5:58 am
Could I please have section 4, The Colby Girls? Thank you. :D
*breaking out the champagne* here's to Julie and her unbroken streak. A section in each of the 20 Black Cats that have so far been launched :thumbs: :birthday: Awesome

And thanks, yes you can have the Colby Girls. Enjoy

Sonia

GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano » November 21st, 2021, 6:11 am

May I claim Section 5?

Thank you!

Greg

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 21st, 2021, 7:14 am

GregGiordano wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 6:11 am
May I claim Section 5?
thank you, Greg, welcome on board once more. :) The title sounds intriguing.

Sonia

NarratorJ

Post by NarratorJ » November 22nd, 2021, 9:35 am

Hello,
I'd like to claim section 1
Thanks,
J
feedback / constructive criticism appreciated

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 22nd, 2021, 10:23 am

NarratorJ wrote:
November 22nd, 2021, 9:35 am
I'd like to claim section 1
section 1 it is, great to have you as opener in this issue :) thank you J !

Sonia

jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia » November 23rd, 2021, 6:01 am

Can I claim Section 3 pls?

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 23rd, 2021, 6:13 am

jakemalizia wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 6:01 am
Can I claim Section 3 pls?
sure, thanks, Jake ! Great to have you hooked on the black cat as well (it happens so fast...)

Sonia

voussoir

Post by voussoir » November 23rd, 2021, 1:46 pm

Hi Kitty, I'd like to try #2 please.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 23rd, 2021, 11:53 pm

voussoir wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 1:46 pm
Hi Kitty, I'd like to try #2 please.
Hi Ethan, and welcome to the forum and especially welcome to the Black Cat project :D

I see you have already passed your minute-test :thumbs: and you have a great voice, so I am delighted to have you read one of the stories, so thank you for your interest.

I signed you up officially for section 2, and here is your brand-new personal reader page: https://librivox.org/reader/16878 If you want to run by a different reader name, for example your real name, just let me know and I can still adjust that.

As you are new to all this, please read the first post carefully, you'll find all the details there you need, text source, long intro-disclaimer wording and correct filenaming.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Other than that, have fun recording :)

And that makes us fully claimed, so I can move the thread over into Readers Found. 8-)

Sonia

voussoir

Post by voussoir » November 24th, 2021, 12:15 am

Kitty wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 11:53 pm

Hi Ethan, and welcome to the forum and especially welcome to the Black Cat project :D

Other than that, have fun recording :)
Thank you Sonia for creating my reader page. Glad to be part of the project. I will stay as voussoir for now.

This is probably an LV faux pas, but I've already recorded my section :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0208may1897_2_various_128kb.mp3 (11:21)

Small note: The magic window says Jean Boss Irvine but the middle name is Ross.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 24th, 2021, 12:26 am

voussoir wrote:
November 24th, 2021, 12:15 am
This is probably an LV faux pas, but I've already recorded my section :)
:lol: aha you were eager to get started I see.

Well, nobody else claimed this section, so it's ok. ;) But there is a reason behind our claiming system and it's good advice to wait until your claim is acknowledged before you record. If everybody was immediately recording, then we may end up with multiple versions of a section and unfortunately only one would get taken. In this project it was quite easy to see the section was no previously claimed, but in other projects there may be previous claims on some earlier pages and if the Magic Window is not updated right away, we could end up with double claims. :? Then some people would have done their work in vain.

So: best to wait for the BC to acknowledge and assign the claim if you want to prevent this. :)

But I will listen to your section soon and give you feedback. Looking forward to this story. Stay tuned !!!
Small note: The magic window says Jean Boss Irvine but the middle name is Ross.
oops, ok, yes, thank you, my mistake :oops: I'll correct it.

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 24th, 2021, 12:53 am

:clap: well what can I say, it's a brilliant first submission, so thank you very much for this. Quite an enjoyable story, even though the poor dog is dead since the beginning of it. You narrated it engagingly and with a good pacing, not too fast, not too slow. All perfect, and textually correct as well.

I have no problems marking this your first official PL ok section. I hope you enjoyed the recording and editing process, so you'll be around for more and I'll be hearing you in other projects as well. 8-)

Only one small note for future recordings. You leave over 2 seconds between the end of the story and the end disclaimer...I always recommend not exceeding 2 seconds anywhere, as it feels very long for a listener to hear such a long silence. Well, the rest was perfect, so no need to reupload for this now, but maybe you could do a little less in future sections. The pacing and spacing inside the story proper is excellent. :thumbs:

Thank you for choosing The Black Cat as your debut :) I enjoyed it.

Sonia