[COMPLETE] Man of Many Minds by E. Everett Evans - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Man of Many Minds by Edward Everett Evans (1893 - 1958).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/man-of-many-minds-by-edward-everett-evans/

This is an abandoned project, resurrected as a group project!

Volunteers outside the USA: E. Everett Evans died in 1958. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954).
GALAXY IN DANGER!

Somewhere, somehow, the first moves have been made—the pattern is beginning to emerge. Someone—or something—is on the way to supreme power over all the planets held by Man.

And the Inter-stellar Corps is helpless to meet the threat—no normal man can hope to penetrate the conspiracy.

But—the Corps has a man who isn't normal, a man with a very strange weapon...

...his mind.

Exciting! Strange! Extraordinary! One of the most unusual science fiction adventures ever published. (Preface)

Space travel, telepathy, and heroism! Military school cadet George Hansen is selected to join an elite, super-secret, secret service organization. He has extraordinary mental powers, among them the ability to talk to animals and transfer parts of his mind into them. Old-school space opera! (Summary by TriciaG)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19660

Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Man of Many Minds. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Man of Many Minds, by E. Everett Evans. [Chapter]"
      The text often uses "SS" for "Secret Service" Please read it as "secret service".

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Man of Many Minds, by E. Everett Evans. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  7. Example filename manofmanyminds_##_evans_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. manofmanyminds_01_evans_128kb.mp3)
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi mokka. I will be your MC for this project. Your MW will be available shorty.

Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

The Preface/Introduction is extremely short. I would suggest you just include it at the beginning of Chapter 1. If you agree, let me know and I will adjust the section numbers accordingly. :)
Jo
mokka

Post by mokka »

Hi mokka. I will be your MC for this project. Your MW will be available shorty.
Thanks a lot, that's much appreciated!
knotyouraveragejo wrote: April 8th, 2020, 12:35 pm The Preface/Introduction is extremely short. I would suggest you just include it at the beginning of Chapter 1. If you agree, let me know and I will adjust the section numbers accordingly. :)
I agree with that; with the preface only clocking in at a few seconds, it feels pointless having it sit in its own file.
I'll figure out the MW stuff and enter the chapters + word counts and get started recording c:

Regards,
Michael
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Moving this over to Going Solo. Once you have a few files uploaded, you can post for a DPL over in Listeners Wanted if no one has volunteered in the meantime.
Jo
mokka

Post by mokka »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: April 11th, 2020, 2:19 pm Moving this over to Going Solo. Once you have a few files uploaded, you can post for a DPL over in Listeners Wanted if no one has volunteered in the meantime.
Splendid, many thanks!

I have completed my first read of the book and will start recording the first chapters on Monday/Tuesday.

I do, however, have a question: The book frequently abbreviates "Secret Service" to "SS". In reading, am I allowed to always use the long-form, that is: say "Secret Service" whenever it is abbreviated to "SS" in the text?

Regards,
Michael
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes, that's fine.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Michael,

Are you still planning to continue with this project?

I see you have not posted to the forums since early May. Please respond if you are still around and have time to record any time soon. If I don't get a response back from you within the next 2 weeks then I will have to assume you are no longer available or interested in continuing with this project. As a result, since there are no files submitted, this thread will be removed from the forum and the project will be deleted from the database as per the following policy:
IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
Hope to hear from you,
Jo
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

No response from the soloist. Moving to Abandoned Threads. Since there are no files, the project will be deleted from the database.
Jo
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh please don't delete this - it sounds like a great (group?) project?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Adopting as a group project. All ready for claims!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Chapter One, please.

Can I PLEASE read the tiny introduction 'GALAXY IN DANGER!' as a man might for a movie?!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I read Chapter 2?

Thanks, Todd
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Might I claim Chapters 7 & 8?

Offbeat dog stories always have a special place in my heart.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Claims entered!

Kevin - yes, go ahead and read that preface as you wish. (Can you believe I set this up without once looking at the text?? I added the preface to the project's intro/summary as well, it fits that purpose so well.)