COMPLETE - (GRP-ADV) Harrigan! by Max Brand - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
sissyneck

Post by sissyneck »

Harrigan! by Max Brand (1892 - 1944).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/harrigan-by-max-brand/

This abandoned solo is now open as a group project.
PLEASE NOTE: The sections have a lot of dialog.
Harrigan! Red of hair! Mighty in strength! Unbowed in spirit! Author Max Brand leaves the Wild West and travels with his Irish creation to Hawaii and the ocean beyond in this tale of nautical adventure, manly companionship, and rugged romance.
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/9791
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: fiction, adventure, nautical, western

============================================
  6. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Harrigan!. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Harrigan!, by Max Brand. [Chapter]"

END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Harrigan!, by Max Brand. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  7. Example filename harrigan_##_brand_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. harrigan_01_brand_128kb.mp3)
  8. Example ID3 V2 tags
    Ignore ID3 tags. These are automatically generated during the catalog process.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by sissyneck on January 17th, 2020, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

OK, it's set up.

It looks like this is your first time as BC. I have added you to the list of BCs and can walk you through this 8-)

First of all, near the top of the first post, probably to the right but it may be fairly central, depending on your browser, you will see a stubby little pencil icon. That is so you can edit the first post.

A few things to note:

Have you lined up a DPL? If not, you should add a tilde (~) to the subject line. If you have someone in mind, I will need to give him/her access to the MW. Don't worry if you have no one in mind. Someone will volunteer.

Secondly, at some point, you will need to edit the summary. What you have is fine for now, but a summary from Google isn't Public Domain, so we can't use it. You can wait until you know more about the book... I always find asking questions a good idea: "What did Mary see in the empty room? How did John solve the problem? Did Jane overcome her parents' objections and marry Harry?"

Next, that whole section on id tags can be deleted. It's a throwback to our old software and anything you enter gets over-written. And it can cause problems at cataloguing,,, I've only had problems a couple of times, but I had to go through deleting them all (which took ages!)

You can change the file name at this point, but in this case, I wouldn't. It's a single word, which is nice and short.

I will give you instructions for the MW in a separate post, but if you have questions, please ask.
Lynne
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Here are the instructions for logging in to the MW. It is the same for a DPL as for a BC. Please note, this only gives you access to the MW for projects where you are DPL or BC.

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password”
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form. (Note this should be more secure than your 'regular' password)
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this:
You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password.

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.

If you are still having trouble after 3 or 4 attempts, PM knotyouraveragejo

The MW is probably straightforward...
I started entering the titles, to show you how it's done. No need for chapter numbers. Hit enter when you have finished typing. You can either go through entering them all now, or as you go on, one chapter at a time.

I have entered you as reader for all sections.

The notes column is where you put the time for each file. In this column, you have to 'save'.

Paste your URL from the uploader in the Listen URL column, hit enter. The Link column is automatically populated when you do this.

The status column is a drop-down menu. Remember to change the status whenever you upload a file. That triggers a message to Your DPL.

There is no need to paste the link in the thread, as you would for a group project, although many soloists do. Just post "I've uploaded chapter 8" will suffice.

I think that's it. Any questions, please ask.
Have fun!

Oh yes, one more thing. It's on your schedule, but if life happens and you don't post for a couple of months, please post in the thread "I've been busy but still working on it" or something similar, so I don't think you've been abducted by aliens, and abandon the project .
sissyneck

Post by sissyneck »

Thanks very much for your help Lynett! I added the tilde and a summary (appropriately purple, I hope). I think that I understand your magic window instructions, as I start to upload and update, I will contact you with questions.

Warmly,
Cory
sissyneck

Post by sissyneck »

Uploaded chapter 01, pasting the link just in case:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/harrigan_01_brand_128kb.mp3

Length 13:00
sissyneck

Post by sissyneck »

Yes, I am getting the "You don't have permissions for this area." message when I try to edit the MW, even after 4 tries using different browsers, so I'll message knotyouraveragejo as you indicated, thanks.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

sissyneck wrote: January 18th, 2020, 9:40 am Yes, I am getting the "You don't have permissions for this area." message when I try to edit the MW, even after 4 tries using different browsers, so I'll message knotyouraveragejo as you indicated, thanks.
Did you try logging out, then logging back in?
sissyneck

Post by sissyneck »

Lynnet wrote: January 18th, 2020, 10:32 am
sissyneck wrote: January 18th, 2020, 9:40 am Yes, I am getting the "You don't have permissions for this area." message when I try to edit the MW, even after 4 tries using different browsers, so I'll message knotyouraveragejo as you indicated, thanks.
Did you try logging out, then logging back in?
Yes, no luck.
sissyneck

Post by sissyneck »

Jo sorted me out :D (I was clicking on the number rather than the magnifying glass).

Do I need to do anything else to "advertise" for a PL?

Thanks!
sissyneck

Post by sissyneck »

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

sissyneck wrote: January 18th, 2020, 7:26 pm uploaded chapter 02:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/harrigan_02_brand_128kb.mp3

length 9:46
You can advertise in the Listeners Wanted forum (there is a template to use) whenever you wish... there is no real hurry but if you want to get one lined up straight away, that's fine. You just need one before cataloguing, really (although it is nice to have one all through)
sissyneck

Post by sissyneck »

Thank you for the information re: securing a PL; I'll just work on recording for now then.

uploaded chapter 03:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/harrigan_03_brand_128kb.mp3

08:39
sissyneck

Post by sissyneck »

sissyneck

Post by sissyneck »