PocketPc? DAT? Minidisk? Mp3 Recorder? Dictaphone?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I am looking for a cheap solution, to be able to record without the PC.
To be able to record sound underway, whereever you are. But with a decent microphone not these crappy build in 2 millimeter microphones that some tools have.
Its not easy to find devices with Microphone-In-Jacks.

Tools that come to mind

- mp3 players (ipod, archos jukebos stuff like that)
- minidiskplayers and recorders
- PDAs pocketpcs
- DAT-recorders
- voice recorders/ dictaphones

On which of these would i be able to use a decent table-mic?
The amplification is the problem, right?

Professional interviewers used DAT-tapes for quite a while, worth hundrets of hundrets of bucks. There must be a cheap solution nowadays with all those small gadgets - to record sound at least a bit christal clear and not in telephony 8khz PCM quality.

Any ideas?
Any cheap solution through Ebay?
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

i use an iriver mp3 player - and it records very nicely: much nicer than my pc or mac setup. it has an input jack for microphone, but even the small built-in mic is pretty good. PROBLEM: the iriver i have does not talk to my mac, so i must use it with PC. mine records to mp3, but I have seen that some irivers record to mp3 OR wav (which i think is lossless?).

you can pay various amounts for your iriver depending on how much memory you want. - i think from US$100 to US$400.

SO: BOOOOO to apple and iPod - i really think we should change the name podcasting, since ipods do not record, and apple does not deserve to have a new creative form of expression named after them if they won't support the creative process.

again: BOOO to apple ipod. and boo to iriver for not talking to my mac.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »