Studying audiobook narration in college

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
gagiha

Post by gagiha »

I wonder, are there college degrees in book voicing/audiobook narration? I'm a newbie here, so don't blame me for such silly threads like this. If there is someone certified in voicing, I would like to hear your opinion on admissions and studying.
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

So far as I know, there are no college degrees given in audiobook narration. Since narration requires both technical and performance skills, your best bet would probably be to take a major in theater with a minor in broadcasting or a major in broadcasting with a minor in theater. A search online for "college courses in audiobook narration" may produce some specific courses. HTH.

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

The new (almost one year old) Professional Audiobook Narrators Association is hoping to implement accreditations for narrators. This doesn't exist yet for narrators, or the coaches or instructors.

Most successful professional narrators and coaches have strong backgrounds in stage and screen acting. Many also have a music background. Narrators Roadmap is a great resource for finding voice coaches whom you can interview for their perspective on college programs.

Best wishes!
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

GraceBuchanan wrote: June 5th, 2022, 3:27 pm The new (almost one year old) Professional Audiobook Narrators Association is hoping to implement accreditations for narrators. This doesn't exist yet for narrators, or the coaches or instructors.

Most successful professional narrators and coaches have strong backgrounds in stage and screen acting. Many also have a music background. Narrators Roadmap is a great resource for finding voice coaches whom you can interview for their perspective on college programs.

Best wishes!
I don't come from any acting background whatsoever. I wish that I had; even if I learnt how to do accents I doubt if I could hold them for a whole book. I don't know that a coach would be much use to me: most coaches are American and my way of narrating is very different from how American people narrate. American narration is a lot flatter. Whereas the way that I phrase and emote narration is very different.

What I wish that I could find a coach for is to tell me what, in their opinion [which I would be free to disagree with] my voice is best suited for in narration. I don't need to be told how to narrate; more useful is what I should narrate.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

lightcrystal wrote: June 5th, 2022, 4:43 pmI don't know that a coach would be much use to me: most coaches are American and my way of narrating is very different from how American people narrate. American narration is a lot flatter. Whereas the way that I phrase and emote narration is very different.

What I wish that I could find a coach for is to tell me what, in their opinion [which I would be free to disagree with] my voice is best suited for in narration. I don't need to be told how to narrate; more useful is what I should narrate.
I hear you saying that you are hoping to come across an audiobook coach who values expressive performances, is non-American, and who will guide you to genres that match your voice.

What part of the world are you in?

Regarding guidance to genres, LibriVox has it right when it urges volunteers to choose readings that interest us. Many professional coaches around the world share that recommendation. It's not the sound of your voice that really matters the most, but your passion for the text.

Thanks for all that you share
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

GraceBuchanan wrote: June 6th, 2022, 2:54 am
lightcrystal wrote: June 5th, 2022, 4:43 pmI don't know that a coach would be much use to me: most coaches are American and my way of narrating is very different from how American people narrate. American narration is a lot flatter. Whereas the way that I phrase and emote narration is very different.

I hear you saying that you are hoping to come across an audiobook coach who values expressive performances, is non-American, and who will guide you to genres that match your voice.

What part of the world are you in?

Regarding guidance to genres, LibriVox has it right when it urges volunteers to choose readings that interest us. Many professional coaches around the world share that recommendation. It's not the sound of your voice that really matters the most, but your passion for the text.

Thanks for all that you share
To paraphrase the great Australian historian Geoffrey Blainey, I live with the Antipodean tyranny of distance. Or in plain English, Australia. I seem to have a passion for very visual action scenes; in my current solo I am enjoying the battle scenes across about 1000 years of British history.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.